1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New G Series from Meridian

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by kallenby, Sep 12, 2004.

1. kallenby

kallenby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Has anyone heard these new gems from Meridian - the G98 & G68 to be specific; seems to be where TMC would have been going to if......

Having thought long and hard before i plunged into TMC versus Meridian previously, I wonder if they sound / look better than my DVD32R/PSM & AV32DP ??? i hope not ! :cool:

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used to have the DVD32FLR and used the component output with a Faroudja NRS in preference to the internal PSM. The G98 has a slightly better picture quality on the component output and is quite a step up in the sound department, CD replay is probably good enough for all but the most die-hard audiophile.

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Both untis look and sound good together. The DVD transport can take other video inputs and can output in 720p and 1080i. (I saw the 720p in action).
    I would dearly love to hear them with a full digital speaker set-up. Can't play SACD though.......

In a way it makes me sad as this is the way TAG could have went with a replacement for the DVD32 feeding either AV32 or 192 in the digital domain. :mad:

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    There is a thread somewhere comparing the G series pre/pro to an Arcam AV8 IIRC.

5. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    This is Gordon, not X3ELS posting...I'm using his PC. If I owned a DVD32R I wouldn't be in any hurry to get a G series unless I wanted a whole Meridian system. I must say though that aesthetically the Meridian is COOL!!!!

Gordon

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    HI all.
    I went to a G series demo and the picture was good and probably with a bit of fiddling the same as the DVD32R (too many variables to be completely sure) but the sound quality just doesn't do it for me (no SACD unsurprisingly) even with the full digital setup, there is something about that system that isn't right and outclassed by a good few systems at sensible money....The AV192R/AV32RDP won't loose any sleep on the audio aspect of the G series just yet.... If you have a decent scaler/video processor with your DVD32R then as Gordon says, I wouldn't be in any hurry to buy a G series setup.....I'm going to investigate the Linn Unidisk again to try and get this lark out of my system.

Don't suppose Eliot would run a demo with both the Unidisk and the TAG either at PJ or his posh house?

7. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Graham/Gordon

I agree that I wouldn't junk my TAG gear and replace it with the Meridian G series.

An interesting looking new player is the Denon 3910 with similar specs to the Meridain, excluding the video inputs but plus SACD replay.

Has anyone had a look and listen to this yet?

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Proably worth a look to see where they have got to. The CD replay ability is the obvious stumbling block, Denon and others of that price range tend to concentrate on high res replay (SACD/DVD-A) and forget the CD with predictable results. I want a CD player as good as the DVD32R which also plays SACD and is a step up in the video stakes, no-one seems to be able to demonstrate one in a back to back comparision, I'll put my money where my mouth is but no dealer/manufacturer seems to want to take up the challenge which is sad. I may as well wait to see what IAG come up with at this rate.

9. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Graham,

If you ever find a single box solution let me know, I initially thought the G98 was it, but once I'd got used to it in my system I started to home in on it's weaknesses.

FWIW, DVD32 owners may want to try out an Apogee Big Ben master clock, I use it on my G98 and it makes a significant improvement to the performance, although it still can't match a quality dedicated CD transport.

10. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Graham

I might give it a try but I would like to see it an action first. If I do I'll let you know, and vice versa please! It's "only" around £800-900 which could save me £2k+ over the price of the Linn or Meridian and put towards a 42" plasma or LCD.

You never know IAG may surprise us yet..................

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Optimist :D
    I await an offer of a listening test with a dealer willing to take my money if something other than the DVD32R wins.....
    Of course if some bright spark gets a PC to play an SACD......

12. Seme

Seme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone doesn't like theirs, let me know, and I'll take it off your hands. Thanks!

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    The G98 is not as good as the Tag for movie playback and money would be better spent elsewhere. The sound is excellent though, but find a used one or buy a dedicated cd player/transport for cd.
    For the price of a new G98 you coulld buy a decent used cd player, sdi modded dvd player and a decent scaler.
    If you like the sound of Tag stuff then I don't think Meridian will be your cup of tea to be honest, it is a completely different beast.

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the G91 for about 3 weeks now and IMO i don't see it getting much better than this for both video & audio or atleast untill my G68 arrives...

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Please don't take that the wrong way John, it is a good player and it does much more than just spin DVD's.
    But for out and out movie playback I don't think anyone with a Tag transport need worry that they should maybe jump ship, the Tag DVD is superb.
    Processors though, well, that's a different matter completely...... :D ;)

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oooh i don't know about that :D

No i am only joking i have never heard or seen any Tag kit in action so i can't really comment but i bet it is good.

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Frankly I don't find the Meridan processor would worry the DP/192R people either..... The Meridian stuff is a whole system thing really, have it all or pick better items that are not Meridian, as previously stated the TAG DVD32R isn't going to looose any sleep here...

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    I think it all comes down to what sort of sound you like really, I tried an AV192 as it was available at a silly price, but didn't like it as much as the Lexicon MC8 I was using at the time, and I changed back to Meridian from that as I prefered my previous 568.2.

They are completely different sounds though, and I guess it depends how important music is too, I personally prefer the 500 series to the G series though so what do I know? :)

19. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Forgot to say, I don't agree with the view that if you do Meridian you have to go the whole hog.
    I hate the Meridian DSP speakers, and could not live with the picture on my 598dp dvd player even though the sound is stunning for both films and DVD-A, as well as cd.
    There amps are very good though, and there cd players and transports are stunning.

But then the Tag top loader is an excellent CD transport in my opinion.