• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The new 'Class System' - what class are you?

Pecker

Distinguished Member
I know we've done similar things before, but this is slightly different.

A group of..well, you know, 'people', those types that do this sort of thing, have come up with a new class system with 7 categories.

You can find where you fit best at the BBC site:

BBC News - The Great British class calculator: What class are you?

It's fun, even if you think it's a load of rubbish. Just as interesting to read what it says about different groups in our society, as it is to take the survey.

I'm 'Established Middle Class', apparently. They have that as the 2nd group out of 7, just below the 'Elite', but that feels wrong to me.

Looking at it it looks like the figures are right - I think maybe they need an extra group. 'Elite' includes doctors, lawyers, etc, who go to the opera. I think that's too broad - they really need a group of 'absolute nobs' at the top who don't work at all, or don't need to. Most doctors aren't multi-millionaires with yachts, even though they're very rich indeed. And yes,I know it's not just about money

Steve W

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Elite :p

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
"I'm 'Established Middle Class', apparently. They have that as the 2nd group out of 7, just below the 'Elite', but that feels wrong to me."

Agreed and me too, time to burn my boiler suits I reckon.

mij

Prominent Member
Established middle class for me.

I never went to University, I have only done about 5 years in total at school.

I am from a travelling family which according to many is an underclass.

And most importantly, I consider myself to be a top class type of chap :)

Seems to me that somebody has wasted time & money :rolleyes:

liamt

Distinguished Member
Established middle class for me.

haha. mater and pater will be so proud! lol.

seems total BS to me. i mean income and house value are pretty regional dependant. for example my house in london would probably cost £1.5m, yet cost me £150k before we ploughed some cash into it. same with wages. decent for my area but would be terrible in london.

also listening to hip-hop. really? haha.

i think watching 'got to dance' on sky and walking my dog at nice parks helped me lol.

im skint as a skint thing on the outskirts of brokeville.

where can i get on the dev teams for these silly but fun exercises?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Established middle class

This is the most gregarious and the second wealthiest of all the class groups. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities
Went to university
Are comfortably off, secure and established

kav

Distinguished Member
British obsession with class always makes me smile. It's still such a big deal over here, but its only function seems to be divisive.

(Oh, and apparently I'm established middle class too.)

dts_boy

Prominent Member
I'm established middle class apparently.
Not sure i agree but then i have never taken much notice of the class system anyway.
I have a client who drives a Bentley and lives in a £1m+ house and considers himself working class - who am i to argue???

Robert S

Established Member
'Emergent service workers' - I come from what would traditionally be described as a working-class background, but I don't tend to think in these terms.

BomoLad

Prominent Member
Another survey I suspect where it's fairly easy to determine which group you want to end up in so thus answer questions accordingly.

"I went to the theatre once. And that neighbour of mine, he wasn't Chief Executive but he was high up in one company, so that counts. I don't have many savings but if I sold my car and a few things I would, so as good as £20k......wow I'm established middle class. Knew it. Wait until I go in and tell the other dinner ladies."

I think it's just another one of those things where nobody on the internet has an average wage, an average house, an average car, average intellect, an average sized penis or an average set of hobbies and interests.

We're all £60,000 a year earning, 5 bedroom detatched property owning, Bentley drivers with 145 IQ, about 9 inches thank you for asking who in our spare time like to go para-sailing and grouse shooting.

...the average internet user.

Last edited:

liamt

Distinguished Member
Another survey I suspect where it's fairly easy to determine which group you want to end up in so thus answer questions accordingly.

"I went to the theatre once. And that neighbour of mine, he wasn't Chief Executive but he was high up in one company, so that counts. I don't have many savings but if I sold my car and a few things I would, so as good as £20k......wow I'm established middle class. Knew it. Wait until I go in and tell the other dinner ladies."

I think it's just another one of those things where nobody on the internet has an average wage, an average house, an average car, average intellect, an average sized penis or an average set of hobbies and interests.

We're all £60,000 a year earning, 5 bedroom detatched property owning, Bentley drivers with 145 IQ, about 9 inches thank you for asking who in our spare time like to go para-sailing and grouse shooting.

...the average internet user.

i dont have any savings but still managed EMC one.

i just answered honestly and still got there. as you say some of the options are weird. me and the mrs watch the sky dance program got to dance but that is lumped in with going to the ballet. hardly the same.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Why doesn't it ask for your pre tax salary? - What about those of us that are creative with our salary sacrifice schemes :smashin:

BomoLad

Prominent Member
My main problem with these things is how they encourage people to think less of the 'lower' classes.

Being upper or middle class is seen as a 'win' whereas the booby-prize noise from 1970s TV gameshows plays if you're anything lower than the emerging middle class or whatever groupings they have. I think it's patronising and somewhat offensive.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
Traditional working class.

Edit: I did the questionnaire wrong, I wondered why people were discussing their wage so I went back and re did the questions and realised that it didn't ask for just your Partners wage.

Ahh well, I think I should be demoted to the class below for messing up such a simple questionnaire.:laugh:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom