The Nevers (Sky/Now) Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

I watched all 6 and didn’t realise it was a split season and thought the next series was not due till 2023, so thanks for that info. i quite enjoyed this although Maladie was a little tiresome at times. The last ep for the first 15 minutes i thought was a tad confusing but does provide the show with an interesting twist - george

The best thing about the entire season was Claudia Black. She further made Laura Donnelly look cold and unlikeable in the main. Donnelly seems so busy throwing that accent about; in some stereotypical detached smugly posh English manner, that it wears to the point of not empathising or sympathising with her usage as a shield but wanting to slap the smug away.
You can't engage fully in a ramshackle world/s, that keeps being expanded before it sufficiently makes you care for, or particularly like it.

I watched all 6 and didn’t realise it was a split season and thought the next series was not due till 2023, so thanks for that info. i quite enjoyed this although Maladie was a little tiresome at times. The last ep for the first 15 minutes i thought was a tad confusing but does provide the show with an interesting twist - george
Maladie was definitely exhausting .

On balance, yeah, I think I enjoyed it too. At the very least I'm interested to see what happens next.

The best thing about the entire season was Claudia Black
I second this.
I hope we get to see more of her.

i must be an easy sell as i really enjoyed this show - agreed that the start of episode 6 seemed a bit out of place but really did a good job of explaining the "world" in which the show is set - maybe a 7.5 for me

The best thing about the entire season was Claudia Black. She further made Laura Donnelly look cold and unlikeable in the main. Donnelly seems so busy throwing that accent about; in some stereotypical detached smugly posh English manner, that it wears to the point of not empathising or sympathising with her usage as a shield but wanting to slap the smug away.
You can't engage fully in a ramshackle world/s, that keeps being expanded before it sufficiently makes you care for, or particularly like it.
I agree. I couldn't completely reconcile Claudia Black's version of the character with the one we've been seeing. Made me wish that she was playing the character for the entirety of the show.

At the very least, it's good to see women finally getting some air time...<chortle>

Have to say I really enjoyed episodes 1 to 5, episode 6 not so much. Must admit the last episode was different and explained a few things, so I suppose it was necessary.

I was surprised to read there is only six episodes, hopefully there will be more.

Though The Nevers could be mistaken for another episode of Dr. Who, if you ignore the explicit sex and language, it is following a familiar genre theme for this year, with shows like The Irregulars and Jupiters Legacy, Shadow and Bone, all depicting supernatural events and super humans.
Netflix must be a bit peeved by The Nevers as this HBO series showed them the plot inadequacies of their own 'The Irregulars' show, which with a bit more story development may have been given a renewal instead of being cancelled.
I will look forward to The Nevers next volume.

Have to say I really enjoyed episodes 1 to 5, episode 6 not so much. Must admit the last episode was different and explained a few things, so I suppose it was necessary.

I was surprised to read there is only six episodes, hopefully there will be more.
I would say that episode 6 explained a lot, especially about Amelia who is a dominant character in the show, it also teased a few twists for later episodes if The Nevers story is allowed to continue.

So to answer a couple of questions, the second half of the first season is in the can and due for release later this year.

A second season already has the greenlight though without Whedon's involvement. British screenwriter Philippa Goslett (How to Talk to Girls At Parties) will be taking over as showrunner.

First half of the season was ok, another X-(wo)men type show with all the usual Whedon tropes. I certainly could have done without the silly superhero landing in episode 1. Got Epitaph One vibes from episode 6.

I certainly could have done without the silly superhero landing in episode 1.
Love a three-point landing.
Someone should curate screenshots of all the thousands of times its used in movies.
If Tumblr still existed that would be one I'd look at.

Good review thanks Tom, really looking forwards to the rest of the series , for me ep6 really hung parts of the story i was missing together, may have been better in ep2/3 , but interesting non the less, a good 7/10 for me.

I watched the first two last night, really good so far :)

Finished this last night and as they said in the latest AVF podcast the sixth episode makes a huge left turn at the beginning... so much so that I checked to make sure I hadn't recorded the wrong show!

Loved every moment so far and looking forwards to its return.
Only downside was the PQ on SKY, it was abysmal in dark scenes, loads of posterization.

No idea I am afraid, as HBO pretty much just dumped the show not sure they are even looking at overseas sales. Would be silly of them not too though.
ok thx

got tired of waiting so watching it on Yes movies, pretty good still, looks like HBO have dumped it so suspect it could be a while before it appears on these shores.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom