The Neverending Story Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Andrew Mogford, 31st May 2010.
I hope this is not seen as hyperbole – but to me, The Never-Ending Story is one of the finest children’s fantasy films ever committed to celluloid – and is one that can appeal equally to adults. Not afraid to go to surprisingly dark places, but also chock full of magnificent creatures – this is a well constructed piece of cinema.

On Blu-ray the film shines like it has never done in the home before. The disc has been given a fantastic spruce up in terms of AV – both the picture and soundtrack are streets ahead of any previous release and worthy of upgrade by any fan. Sadly, though, Warners have provided no extras here – so despite the fact that I recommend this disc unreservedly I have to deduct some marks for that.

The film is currently being scheduled to be remade in Hollywood – and I cannot imagine this to be anything other than a bad idea. You owe it to yourself to make yourself familiar with the original if you have not yet done so – and if you are a fan then you will not regret upgrading. It will be almost like coming to the film again through fresh eyes and ears.

Read the full review...

sirlukas

Thank you for the review.
This is a definite buy for me when the prices drop sub £8.
I just love the memories from my childhood when this movie was so influential and fantastic.

IAN P

Novice Member
It's in Play's 2 for 18 quid deal.

Get it with Labyrinth as a double header. Bargain.:thumbsup:

sirlukas

It's in Play's 2 for 18 quid deal.

Get it with Labyrinth as a double header. Bargain.:thumbsup:
I got Labyrinth for some stupid money not so long ago, so would have to choose something else. My fiancée will kill me for it :confused:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
It's certainly not Hyperbole.

Easily one of the finest movies of its kind. :thumbsup:

Andrew. I assume you're familiar with the rumblings about the transfers from the Netherlands Blu Ray and release from the US:D

Is the UK the same as either of them or (and i'm assuming not) different again? None of them appear to be perfect but they're massively different.

Swizz

Reviving this thread back to life! And still one of my favorite movies since discovering The Neverending Story as a kid. From VHS to DVD & Blu-ray.. it's a fun ride to return back too, over and over again. Hoping to see this one released on 4K soon. :thumbsup:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Holy thread revival :eek:

I’ll be all over a 4K release of this. Great film.:clap:

Gonna stick my neck out and say it’ll turn up next year.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom