The neighbour's new windows...

dchampx

Hopefully someone has some knowledge or experience with this and could point me in the right direction.

New neighbours moved into the house at the rear about a year ago. They're wonderful people but unfortunately they've made an unwelcome adjustment to their property over the weekend - they've installed windows which face my property directly and overlook my garden.

Their house is side-on to my back garden, within about 1m of the property boundary and my fence. Previously the side of their house was all bricked up, with only an upper-floor obscured window in their landing. My garden isn't that big, so I would estimate that there's about 12m from the back of my property to theirs.

Aside from looking horrible, I'm worried that this will have an adverse affect on the saleability and value of my own home - something we were considering within the next couple of years. Also, this now creates a privacy issue as we can see directly into their living area from our kitchen/diner and upstairs bedrooms. I assume they can do they same too. This was already an issue with their conservatory - the previous neighbours had a tree there to block the view but they decided to trim it back. However, this didn't bother me as much as the conservatory is seldom used.

What options do I have? I'm on good terms with my neighbours but they didn't mention this to me at all. Left me pretty upset tbh.

dchampx

PXL_20220411_073821762.jpg

PXL_20220411_073920810.jpg

IronGiant

They look similar to a window we have in our dining room. Short and wide so high enough up that they can't see out of them into your garden and kitchen diner, although I accept that they can probably look up at your bedrooms through them if they were so inclined. Ours faces a bungalow so that isn't an issue but we have frosted glass as additional privacy. Perhaps you could ask them to swap out the glass for frosted, or install a privacy film as a cheaper option?

dfdd

i can see that being a planning issue-usually enforced obscure glass for that position,

on a side note the glass to frame ratio is low -they look a mess.

Xenomorph

I think your neighbours are on dodgy ground with respect to planning permission.
Our house had a side extension put on, overlooking the neighbour's property, and they had to use obscure glass.

Harkon321

Fairly sure, at that height, they don’t need to be obscure glass. Different if they were normal height windows. Lorel, or trees of some sort if it bothers you. Can’t see neighbours changing their decision.

Harkon321

Think it’s anything above 1.7m

dchampx

Thanks for the input everyone.

Got on the phone with the local planning. Unfortunately there isn't anything that goes against them. They referred to the Planning Portal which doesn't really give much in the way of provisions - only that new windows are of a similar style to the existing windows and obscure if they're upper-level. They even checked to see if there was anything noted with the development (1998) but other than some protected trees there isn't anything to note. As such, the windows are a permitted development and would also meet building regs if they've been installed by a fit and proper trader - I've no reason to doubt this.

Quite a crap situation. Been an odd experience putting my daughter to bed and being able to see directly into their lit up living room. I get on with them and I haven't yet said anything but I'll likely have a word about putting some privacy film on or something. I'll also be looking at putting up some hedges of some sort too. Shame as we fully renovated our garden a few years back and this will result in us having to rip up some of our new stone paving and turf.

Xenomorph

Thanks for the input everyone.

Got on the phone with the local planning. Unfortunately there isn't anything that goes against them. They referred to the Planning Portal which doesn't really give much in the way of provisions - only that new windows are of a similar style to the existing windows and obscure if they're upper-level. They even checked to see if there was anything noted with the development (1998) but other than some protected trees there isn't anything to note. As such, the windows are a permitted development and would also meet building regs if they've been installed by a fit and proper trader - I've no reason to doubt this.

Quite a crap situation. Been an odd experience putting my daughter to bed and being able to see directly into their lit up living room. I get on with them and I haven't yet said anything but I'll likely have a word about putting some privacy film on or something. I'll also be looking at putting up some hedges of some sort too. Shame as we fully renovated our garden a few years back and this will result in us having to rip up some of our new stone paving and turf.

Hopefully they are reasonable people. Best of luck.

dfdd

their conservatory and first floor window already overlook-not sure its worth the hassle, also they are probably furious from how terrible the new windows look already!

dchampx

their conservatory and first floor window already overlook-not sure its worth the hassle, also they are probably furious from how terrible the new windows look already!

Yeah, I covered this off in my initial post. Cheers for the input though!

Previously the side of their house was all bricked up, with only an upper-floor obscured window in their landing.

This was already an issue with their conservatory - the previous neighbours had a tree there to block the view but they decided to trim it back. However, this didn't bother me as much as the conservatory is seldom used.

I've had a word anyway and they were apologetic about not consulting me - they had no reason to do so legally but it would have been courteous, especially as I get on with them.

I've recommended they get some privacy film for them which they will look into. I've also told them that I'll be putting up some hedges in the near future - I don't think it was received all that well but I got the feeling they also appreciated my position.

dfdd

well that sounds reasonably amicable. i would leave at that personally as getting into a dispute will be a complete waste of energy and time and have ramifications for both of you if you decide to move in the future

John

Growing a hedge because of it, unless you really want it, is going to cause you more grief year on year, than them

They should have fitted non openers for better glass ratio. I did similar on an extension in my last house, overlooking a rear garden. they were obscured though.

20130614_221237.jpg

Hated those mutton bars on the door, expensive misunderstanding. Still, not my issue now

IronGiant

I can hopefully find a link to some nice privacy film that we put on our front door if you would like.

IronGiant

Growing a hedge because of it, unless you really want it, is going to cause you more grief year on year, than them

They should have fitted non openers for better glass ratio. I did similar on an extension in my last house, overlooking a rear garden. they were obscured though.

View attachment 1682778

Hated those mutton bars on the door, expensive misunderstanding. Still, not my issue now
Mind you if you've seen an imprint of a 10 year old plastered over a patio door they didn't realise had been closed, perhaps the bars aren't such a bad idea?

John

Mind you if you've seen an imprint of a 10 year old plastered over a patio door they didn't realise had been closed, perhaps the bars aren't such a bad idea?
Is it wrong I want to laugh at that

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
So is your annoyance that you can see into their house? I’d imagine at that height they can’t see into your garden.

To save the hassle and cost of a hedge, why don’t you offer to pay or contribute to the window film?

Miss Mandy

Is the annoyance that you can see into their property or that they might see in to yours? They’re pretty small and crappy looking windows I think so if you’re on good terms with them why don’t you ask if you can pop in and see them from the inside? You might find that they don’t see into your property as much as you think they do.
I can see directly into my neighbours flat across the courtyard so I just put up some cheap nets. They’re quite tall windows so I’ve only put them just above head height. That way we both get privacy without me losing too much light.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
Is it just me that thinks there’s absolutely nothing to be bothered about here? the conservatory and that upper window already overlook your garden, it looks like those new windows are high up in the room and I bet they can’t see anything anyway.

If I were that neighbour and someone came around complaining I’d be mightily annoyed.

brunation

Is it just me that thinks there’s absolutely nothing to be bothered about here?
The OP's neighbour on the right has blocked the two existing windows from directly viewing onto their property. There seems to be an innate desire for privacy on that estate.

sosen13

Is it just me that thinks there’s absolutely nothing to be bothered about here? the conservatory and that upper window already overlook your garden, it looks like those new windows are high up in the room and I bet they can’t see anything anyway.

If I were that neighbour and someone came around complaining I’d be mightily annoyed.
No, it's not you only. I also don't really see any issue with those windows 🤔

jole26

Yea I'd be bothered by this. If I was adding any windows to my house that overlook a neighbour, I'd have the decency to go and discuss with them beforehand, regardless of legality.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px7 S2 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022