The need to match speakers?

ben38

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm fairly happy with most of my very basic 5:1 set up with an Onkyo 507 amp but would appreciate any advice on upgrading the speaker set up please.

I currently have an Acoustic 2000 centre, Acoustic 2010's as fronts and old Celestion MP1's as rears. I also have a Wharfedale SW150 sub.

I'd like to replace the ageing MP1's but I'm not sure whether I would be best getting new, bigger maybe floor standing fronts and having the 2010's as rears....or just getting something like wharefdale 9.0's, acoustic 1010's or another pair of 2010's or similar as the rears?

From what I have read I understand it is important to match the fronts and centre but does it matter so much with the rears? Also, although my front room is only about 4m x 4m would I be better having larger fronts?

Thanks for any advice
Ben

Front speakers are most important imho. So the biggest and best at the front, the next big gest and best at the back. So I sugest allways upgrade front, move front to back.

Thanks for your response, I think I'm going to get a pair of 2010i's for fronts and put my older 2010's as the rears.

At bare minimum upgrade the front to 2020i, especially if you like music.

If you consider Floorstanding, that can work well even in a modest sized room. Though I would limit the choices to 5", 6", or 6.5" bass drivers, with 5" in a small room probably being preferred.

Bookshelf speakers, if you choose the right ones can do very well in front for both movies and music. The Q Acoustic 2020i only go down to 64hz. The Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 bookshelf go down to a solid 40hz at -6dB, and the Monitor Audio BX2 go down in the vicinity of 38hz or a bit less at -6dB. Those would do extremely well for movies or music.

If you are not a Bass Head, consider the very low cost Dali Zensor 1 bookshelf. These have decent bass numbers, but the bass in not exaggerated and they don't mind being close to the wall. I think about £175/pr (from memory). The matching Dali Zensor Center is a bit more, but very nice and still reasonably priced.

In my limited opinion, and based on my personal preference for music, I would consider bookshelf speakers, but bookshelf speakers with better bass response. The Q Acoustic 2020i will sound fine for casual music listening. But for more serious listening, you need deeper bass. If music is not critical and you like the speakers you have, then definitely upgrade to the 2020i. They are very low cost, and certainly an improvement over the very limited 2010i. But, that said, there are upgrades for a bit more money that will give better results.

Just a few rambling thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom