1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The need for BluRay/HDDVD

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tim k, Aug 11, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the massive interest in newsgroups do you really think we'll need standalone players with rrps anywhere up to 1000 quid??

I really dont see the point in shelling out on a player that will a)become obselete 2)devalue by 500% in a year or two.

Im confident our American chums will make true hd films available to the masses and the only bonus a standalone drive has is the fact you wont clog your hard drive up with a 20-30gig file.

I just feel like the microsof/sony war leaves us with no option but to source elsewhere. I for one will.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Any early adopter pays through the nose for a new hardware platform that's just how it is, a few months later and perhaps with a format war ongoing prices will tumble.

Of course comparing the cost of stealing movies against buying movies will always make the illegal act look better:)
    Thankfully the vast majority still do consider a retail DVD far ahead of a copied DVD or broadcast cap especially when you factor in extras and I expect the same to apply when we have HD-DVD or Blu-ray.

Also worth considering that the age of unmetered broadband is under heavy attack and it may simply become too expensive to download 10-20gig files on a regular basis especially since there still is no practical way to backup to a single disk.

3. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My snazzio will do until HD-DVD/Blu-ray writers allow me to easily back up my collection on to single discs per film. Since the snazi I'm not in a hurry to get a HD player.

4. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would expect retail releases to offer a superior image over that of the broadcast stuff currently doing the rounds - hence I'm itching to get my hands on retail HD films. Although I agree that capping could be the way forward, there's too much competition at the moment and they know caps put ppl right off. With ntl annoucing a 10Mb service arriving October(ish) for current 3Mb subscribers (with greater speeds on the horizon) hopefully capping issues will be a thing of the past for all but the serious "market-stall" operator. A 10 Mb line would allow you to "collect" 3Tb of data a month - I would expect for the majority 300Gb would be sufficient thus effectively users would be only taking up 10% of their bandwidth during the month.

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Newsgroup access to off-air captures from US broadcasts can't really be compared to pre-recorded HD-DVDs/BluRays you can buy in HMV or on-line can it?

One is a niche thing that requires broadband, a PC, lots of storage and some nous, and has dubious legality - oh and you have to wait for someone to upload it, and find your small window-of-download opportunity. The other requires you to have a player, buy a disc, put it in and hit play - and is fully legal...

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The darks cloud on the horizon is the extra payments required when you go over what NTL consider to be "normal" useage levels. Don't forget that they will have systems in place to record the data throughput of every user and that will be used to for adaptive billing.
    Quick sum (which could be well off) gives the current "soft" caps running at something around 3% of the total capacity of the 3meg service, no reason to assume NTL will be more generous, thay are no TW after all:)

It is rumoured (got to use that word) that the cap for the basic £37.99 service (currently 3meg) will be raised to 75gig a month with extra fees if you download more than that.
    That is why I don't consider downloading will be as viable as it currently is, the cost factor alone could make it totally uneconomical for an individual who wants to just watch movies that he/she can not buy in HD at that time.

7. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I could be way off, but if ntl's network can cope, I'm fairly certain they'll only introduce hard caps/charging to the hardened users who flog their connections 24/7. Blueyonder have already announced a 10Mb unlimited service and we've heard ntl state that if they can avoid it, they would prefer not to introduce hard caps. I think this is a sensible decision by ntl as IMHO a 10Mb line running flat out 24/7 is unsustainable if lots of users ran it that way. I hope BY's committment to provide an unlimited service doesn't turn out to be a false promise though.

Rumours of greater speeds next year and other bandwidth hungry services that are to be promoted surely means a 75Gb cap is pointless for the short term anyway as they'll need to provide far more next year.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I hope you are right:)

However once they have a reliable method of measuring every subscribers useage I can not see any reason for them not to enforce hard caps at a certain level. Mind you they have backed down the last few times when they have talked about caps so they could do it again even though they have no really competition in the market since xDSL isn't upto the job.
    It looks bad that TW can offer unmetered connections but really since the two don't directly compete it's not a big issue and even with LLU xDSL products are still performing way below what cable is capable of and even ADSL+2 has range issues.

I couldn't even find enough "good" stuff to download 24/7 on my recently downgraded 3meg cable modem and while a 10meg line sounds fantastic it really isn't much practical use except for when NTL or third parties offer viable video streaming and that could involve an extra fee on top of the basic subscription. That would allow a "streaming" subscriber to have his cap removed after all AOL subscribers on the NTL network are unmetered!

9. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    If the sony playstation 3 has a Blueray player in and costs 200-400 pounds I can't really see normal blue ray players being more expensive than that at release and to be competative the same with HD - DVD

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Well the existence of DVD playback on the PS2 never stopped higher priced DVD players from flying off the shelves.
    You would expect standalone players to be superior in every department compared to the PS3 (with the exception of playing games:) ) and of course the PS3 like all consoles will be sold at or below cost unlike the first generation HD players from both camps.

11. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,171
    true but the entry level DVD players can't be more expensive at release than the playstation 3 or there is no reason to buy them.

12. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...one word - quality!

PS2's DVD playback was quite poor in comparison to a half decent standalone player. I know we're now talking about HiDef and as such you'd expect the PS3 to still show stunning pictures, but I'd be really surprised if a BluRay player costing twice as much as a PS3 would not perform much better.

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    my DVD player plays hybrid CDs better than my SACD playing SACD. It is not the size that matters but how you do it. PS2 I expect to do the usual quality all games machines do with DVDs, crap.

14. colonel_butt

colonel_butt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    whats point of a £1000 quid player.
    Build yourself a computer in a shiny silver micro atx case and shove an NVIDIA or ATI card with HDTV support. You can the record and watch HDTV for less the £500 ... bargain. If you want easy to use, bag yourself a copy of Win Media edition 2005:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/evaluation/hdtv/default.mspx

you can even do this now as Microsoft and some other sites have free demo HDTV wmvs to download. Look pretty stunning:
    http://www.wmvhd.com/

can't see the point of custom media records in the future. Except for the lazy. Go to ebuyer to dabs and get building ......

15. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im in total agreement, htpc is the only way forward. if your reading this post you've got to be half technically minded and therefore would understand how to setup a good htpc.

i think the ps3 will be the popular choice for hd-dvd viewing as most people will go out first and buy this for its gaming, and then probably pick up a hd dvd from hmv and it will snowball from there. i dont really see the point in an expensive standalon player. as its hd i really dont think it will be much worse than an expensive blu ray player.

16. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..I could be talking out of my hat, but IMHO the image processing requirements for HD is much more "intensive" than SD - reading the data is one thing, processing it will be another. I saw huge differneces in image quality generated from the budget DVD players to the expensive one's and I can't see how this would change tbh! If I'm going to spend a bucket on a display and all the other paraphenalia, including the software, then I don;t want to ruin it with a sub-standard feed.

I'd like to be proved wrong of course because I, like many others, am not in the game of spending hundreds more just to see a barely perceivable improvement in image quality.

17. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  18. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: