The (near) future of lcd TV (everyone must read)

where those game shots HDR then?, I thought they looked a bit ordinary

I can see lots of situations where it would not work as well as advertised. Although obviously it is a step in the right direction....

If you had a very small lit area on the screen that was slowly moved around, the area around it would leak lots of light. Same with a grid of light and dark spots. This may negate a lot of the advantage.

Also, in normal viewing of tv or cinema, I suspect it would not be all that noticeable except for certain situations.

Finally, I find their contrast ratio figure a bit misleading as this would not be acheived if measuring a totally dark patch that was next to a very light patch. There would be a lot of light leakage...

I'd posted this a few days ago as well an amazing tech isn't it considering it's just a new backlight.

The game shots aren't HDR, the guys who developed the system have algorithmns in the TV processing that can generate pseudo-hdr if you feed it a signal with just the standard dynamic range, it's the same for the clips from Lord of The Rings as well, but even so the difference is quite clear between the standard LCD and the EDR LCD

Stunning, and such a logical solution to the problem !

Isn't this similar to what Philips were promising with their latest LCDs i.e. scanning backlight, it never arrived of course..

Old news, and definately amazing ideas, but at 50K per piece, i'm not sure this is the "near" future.

It's definately he future, but to go from 50k to 1-2k takes a little while... :suicide:

Pedant said:
I can see lots of situations where it would not work as well as advertised. Although obviously it is a step in the right direction....

If you had a very small lit area on the screen that was slowly moved around, the area around it would leak lots of light. Same with a grid of light and dark spots. This may negate a lot of the advantage.

Also, in normal viewing of tv or cinema, I suspect it would not be all that noticeable except for certain situations.

Finally, I find their contrast ratio figure a bit misleading as this would not be acheived if measuring a totally dark patch that was next to a very light patch. There would be a lot of light leakage...

Talk about splitting hairs!

small lit area on screen - play a lot of pong do you?
I saw another article that showed the individual LEDs were shielded from each other to massivly reduce the light leakage.

Normal TV or Cinema - check the pics again - although the one thought that did occur is what range is stored when the pics are shot in the 1st place.

Contrast ratio - hate to tell you this but almost none of the maufactureres I have looked publish the raitio for one pixel next to another more is the pity. Some quote from point a to b - in priniciple this could be one side of the screen to another.

The only other approach that might work would be to have multiple LCDs stacked on top of each outher to increase opacity, but then you could get sync problems between the layers.

DanDT said:
Old news, and definately amazing ideas, but at 50K per piece, i'm not sure this is the "near" future.

It's definately he future, but to go from 50k to 1-2k takes a little while... :suicide:

I'm sure it was only 5 or 6 years ago that I saw a rear projection LCD display (50" or larger can't remember) on display at Harrods, it was priced at £49,995 it didn't take too long after that for them to appear at more realistic prices.

Excuse me for being very simple on this idea but I don't know if the technology exists, but....

To take their idea further, instead of placing 1400 lights on a panel behind the LCD panel, can they put a light (LED ?!) behind each individual pixel ? Meaning that each pixel would contain 4 levels, 3 for the colours and a fourth for backlight. You would need 2,073,600 lights for a 1920x1080 display (Around half that for a 1366x768). Could there be a mixture of LCD and Plasma with Plasma providing the pure white light and nothing else ?!

Dreaming over.

Richie.

Pedant said:

I would say light leakage around an extermely bright white area would be more natural, in terms of HDR this is what they refer to as bloom, and mimics the way the eye would see the bright white in real life, the key here is that the light leakage isn't across the entire screen as it is with current backlight technology, the areas that are supposed to be black are black, and the ares that are supposed to be white are extremely white with the associated bloom that would occur naturely.

And they show this when they show the pictures of the white rectangle in the middle of the screen, on the current tech LCD, you get a perfectly white rectangle with a little 'bloom' around it and the rest of the screen is grey, with the EDR Display you get an really white rectangle with a more natural looking 'bloom' around it and the rest of the display is indsitinguishable from the darkness of the room

richjthorpe said:
Excuse me for being very simple on this idea but I don't know if the technology exists, but....

To take their idea further, instead of placing 1400 lights on a panel behind the LCD panel, can they put a light (LED ?!) behind each individual pixel ? Meaning that each pixel would contain 4 levels, 3 for the colours and a fourth for backlight. You would need 2,073,600 lights for a 1920x1080 display (Around half that for a 1366x768). Could there be a mixture of LCD and Plasma with Plasma providing the pure white light and nothing else ?!

Dreaming over.

Richie.

Ideally that would be the perfect way to do it, have an individually modulated LED for each color of each pixel, only problem is getting an LED small enough that will run cool enough and bright enough to do that, even that prototype they were showing was watercooled :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom