The nation mourned today......

I don't know why everyone seems to think this is 'funny' or 'serves them right'.

Each member of Hear'say will walk away with c.£2 million in their individual bank accounts and will never have to work again should they not wish to. All for a couple of years work and adulation from thousands of fans.

Hmmm, if there are any laughs to be had, they'll be coming from the band members and the companies behind 'Popstars'.

I found it funny not for the reasons you pointed out but simply because I need never endure hearing another one of their records again.

Where did you get the figures on the amount of cash they are walking away with?

Don't speak to soon... as the fastest/biggest selling debut single of all time in the UK, 'Pure & Simple' will be around for a while yet
:(

Rule of thumb for pop bands is that the band makes around £4 million per UK + two other European territories number one singles plus all that then brings with it (tours, t-shirts - especially -, endorsements etc). They'll make even more if they get a US number one.

Most boy/girl bands include 4 or 5 members so even one big single will mean they'll get around £1m each.

Hear'say had two, big selling number ones in a number of countries and had a strong selling album.

Plus, when Kym Marsh left, it was widely publicised that she'd have already accumulated £2million.

No great loss to the 'music' industry. I hope Mylene (sp.?) goes on to do something hto' as IIRC she can actually play an instrument etc. so hopfully she'll see sense and do something. The others can go back to stacking shelves :)

£2 million would indeed be nice but in the eyes of the world, they were the ultimate failure. From what I understood, manufactured bands in the form of Hear 'Say et al., were under specific contracts that prevented them from personally accumulating anywhere near that kind of money in their first year - regardless of No 1 hits or not. Hear 'Say were only on the music scene for one year so if they did indeed walk away with 2 million each, then good luck to them.

On another note, me and my mates actually met them at the airport one day and told Danny from Hear 'Say he looked like Shrek. He didn't respond :D.

Myleene has already moved into television... well, some appalling laser eye correction surgery adverts anyway :)

She certainly has two major talents that should take her far...

Originally posted by groundy
but in the eyes of the world, they were the ultimate failure.

I think they're the ultimate example of manufactured pop success.

Get together, make a record, sell by the truckload, make a few million pounds, split up.

What did they fail to do? Make 10 albums? What new pop bands are likely to do that these days?

As for earnings etc. I think your info. is slightly wrong. For example, Will Young is already worth over of £2m and his first album is not even on sale yet.

Originally posted by juboy
I think they're the ultimate example of manufactured pop success.

Get together, make a record, sell by the truckload, make a few million pounds, split up.

What did they fail to do? Make 10 albums? What new pop bands are likely to do that these days?

They failed to prove themselves as genuine artists - pure and simple ;). Anyone can make a million-selling record. You only have to look at the likes of Novelty XMAS No. 1's etc. To stick around, you need to have genuine talent and ability. Hear 'Say constantly broadcasted such claims but have proved untrue. You're right in that new pop bands rarely make several albums but that's bacuse all of them are manufactured.

Genuine groups in recent years such as Stereophonics, Coldplay and others have been the real success in my eyes. They will also have earned a hell of a lot more money for themselves than any manufactured pop act in the same time-space.

And offcourse I judge the success of a group, in part, by the number of successfull albums they've made. Few would argue that one or two albums with one or two hits was a roaring success.

But I guess some people have different standards so each to their own.

As for earnings etc. I think your info. is slightly wrong. For example, Will Young is already worth over of £2m and his first album is not even on sale yet.

You cannot campare solo artist earnings here. I never said I was correct. My assumption was made simply by the number of articles I've read and TV shows I've seen over the years that have discussed such issues of manufactured pop bands. But then I don't belive everything I read. Nor should you in thinking Will Young is worth more than 2m. I seriously doubt it.

They failed to prove themselves as genuine artists [/B]

Disagree. They wrote songs, recorded them and sold them. That makes them genuine artists.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like them and don't like the area of the music industry that they inhabit(ed) but they did exactly what many other bands do and did it fairly well for the limited life span that most would expect from that type of group.

Also, you mention Coldplay and Stereophonics, not a fair comparison as those bands have wildly different markets and purposes (in the eyes of the industry).

Also, you mention Coldplay and Stereophonics, not a fair comparison as those bands have wildly different markets and purposes (in the eyes of the industry).

Fair enough but if I were to compare them to the likes of S-Club 7 or even S-Club Juniors, I would still regard Hear 'Say as a failure. Offcouse, in certain aspects they were a success but just not in the way they would have liked.

Also, I may just be a sceptic but I don't think they as individuals wrote any of the songs, or even made a substantial contribution in that area.

This thread wasn't meant to be a "who likes them, who dislikes them". It wasn't even meant to be a judement of their success or failure.

Rather I started it as a light-hearted rebuttal of Richard and Judy's quote that the nation were in mourning :rolleyes:.

I don't think so.....

I don't mean to be rude but their contribution to the music industry really doesn't warrant discussion of any kind!

Doh! Oh Irony - how you mock me! Doh!:blush:

Rather I started it as a light-hearted rebuttal of Richard and Judy's quote that the nation were in mourning :rolleyes:.

Surely, hopefully they were being not very funny... as per usual.

I take your point though groundy... ultimately I guess Hear'say may be judged a failure purely because nobody actually cares either way :D

Bob the builder, Roland Rat, The Wurzels, Kevin Keegan The Smurfs all made money out of the music industry IMO I think Bob the Builder was better than Hear Say.

I see at the end of thier statement that wanted to leave while they were on top, then they left that a year late.

Originally posted by Dan Gleebles
Bob the builder, Roland Rat, The Wurzels, Kevin Keegan The Smurfs all made money out of the music industry IMO I think Bob the Builder was better than Hear Say.

But The Wurzels were much better than Bob The Builder and are one of the few bands with staying power.

World Tour coming soon

Groundy

No way Adz - they are 3 little lovelies

Whilst i appreciate where you are coming from, the mere sight of this mob gets me reaching for the sky remote!

Their video's are so corny it's unreal.....

And their tunes:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

But, as i said up top, i appreciate the angles your looking at!

Adzman.

No way Adz - they are 3 little lovelies :blush:.

I did amire the way they went from grotty looking, Mersey Council House dwelling slappers to Mariah Carey-esque stunners in a matter of weeks. Damn, their record company knows some good stylist people :D

I did amire the way they went from grotty looking, Mersey Council House dwelling slappers to Mariah Carey-esque stunners in a matter of weeks. Damn, their record company knows some good stylist people :D

Just a shame the record company has forgot what music is :( I found a lovely pic of the Atomic Kitten lot in short skirts and stuff. Mmmmmmmmm :D

Originally posted by nutcase_1uk
Just a shame the record company has forgot what music is

Although money making seems to have escaped their bout of amnesia.

Atomic Kitten should never have let Juggsy, I mean, Kerry Katona leave :)

Atomic Kitten should never have let Juggsy, I mean, Kerry Katona leave :)

Apparently she confessed she couldn't sing a note :confused: but that's no reason to leave.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom