The mythical Harmony 895

S

supaveg

Hasn't been anything on this for a while...

I ordered one through Komplett in January with a forward delivery date. Problem is, whenever the date is reached they put it back again by a month...:thumbsdow

Aside from the questionable retail ethics of advertising vapourware for sale (at least I haven't been billed, which is nice), does anyone have any idea when (or I'm beginning to think 'if') this is due to launch in Europe?????

:lease:

If it's much longer I might just cancel the order and get an 885.

What is the 895 supposed to do that the 885 doesn't?

Martin

Komplett say they should have 4 in stock today. I've placed my order.

Martin

Jonesthegas said:
What is the 895 supposed to do that the 885 doesn't?

It's got RF - which means I can tie the lights in too :D

Jonesthegas said:
Komplett say they should have 4 in stock today. I've placed my order.

Erm - they also said that in mid Jan. And early Feb. Oh, and mid Feb too. And - oh yes - late Feb. Good luck :thumbsup:

supaveg said:
It's got RF - which means I can tie the lights in too :D

Only if the lights use the "Z-Wave" protocol, which I think it pretty unlikely. It won't control X-10 etc directly via RF...you will still need an IR-RF converter like the IR543.

czzer said:
Only if the lights use the "Z-Wave" protocol, which I think it pretty unlikely. It won't control X-10 etc directly via RF...you will still need an IR-RF converter like the IR543.

Thanks for that; I couldn't find conclusive specs either way on the net.

The 'lights' I intended it to work is the koppla system from IKEA...not the most advanced, but does everything I need at a very reasonable price. Using the trial setup on the Logitech website the koppla was listed as a device that could be controlled, so I was going to give it the benefit of the doubt.

If it's not actually going to be able to control them directly then I'll go for the 885; all my equipment is enclosed, but I already have an extender which works fine so I won't really need the RF capability.

My only other thought is that for an extra £40 over the 885 I might as well get the 895 for any future upgrades to my system.

It too am getting annoyed with the situation. I have had my order with them for 2 months and they can never give me any information. I really want the RF as i have all my stuff hidden in a cabinate.

hornydragon said:
have seen the 895 today had play etc for sale at £239 preorder special at the smart home show NEC

which was another reason I ordered it from komplett early - after doing a rough dollar/pound conversion their price seemed ridiculously low. Will they be obliged to sell it at the price they advertised at when I ordered (£159)?

supaveg said:
Will they be obliged to sell it at the price they advertised at when I ordered (£159)?
No no obligation to selll to you at that price read tehir T & Cs for more info the price they quoted is so rediculously low i dont think you will get one at that price. Example 885 is SRP £200 and being offered at smart home show for £159 (IIRC) so about 20% off SRP komplettt price is £125 37% discount from SRP.
895 is SRP £300 so take 37% discount and you get £190 (still a good price but higher than £159....... You may be lucky but the only way to garentee you get one of thses is to buy from a dealer with stock anyone can advertise scotch mist for a song. See what happened with the previous 885 launch.

Hey, supaveg:

Did you order the 895, and if so, did it work with the Ikea Koppla system? I'm hoping so, since I have Koppla all round the house and have an 895 arriving on Wednesday!

Thanks.

One available at letsautomate.com for 282 inc vat. I have bought from these people and they have honest stock info.

Hiya all, never had a fully programmable relote before just got a couple of questions if anyone could help???

Can you completely add new commands/functions/inputs for sources?? i.e on harmony site, their set up wizard had options for a lumagen pro hdp scaler but only had inputs 1-8 when actually on the lumagen remote it is 0-9 (0 being SDI) can this be added???

Also do all functions for componets get added?? i.e once you actually chose to watch a dvd, could you then go into the the features like change the audio or turn on subtitles as you would on the actual dvd remote?

Thanks for your help on this! (i was always lloking at the pronto pros but they seemes very complicated to set up and quite costly whereas Komplett have got these harmony 895 for around £159 )

YEs you can teach any command from the OEM remote to the harmony ie the SDi optional input on a lumagen not present in the downloaded codes)

And you can add the relevant buttons from the OEM remote to the hard or soft buttons on the harmony ie CHANNEL up down for "watch TV" control sky box channels and Volume updown control AMP aspect etc can be added t a soft button to cotnrol screen aspect ratios

Hiya Hornydragon, thanks for that info!

Looks like it does what i need, can i ask in you opinion, would tis be a good first remote for a novice in the 'all singin and dancing' remote world?

I mainly want it for being able to press a single button to do a chain of commands (i think its macros what i mean?)

Oh my god, I'm so excited!

I have just taken delivery of my new Harmony 895. I haven't even touched the RF stuff yet, I'm just setting all the devices up by IR, because that's all I need right now (although that will all be changing and RF will be used in a few weeks time!).

I LOVE IT! I have heard loads of complaints on forums about the 885/895, and sure, the software setup interface isn't all that intuitive, but once you've worked it all out, this thing is fabulous.

I can't stress enough the need to update the firmware and software the first time you use it, and before you set up any devices on it. I updated and managed to set it all up very swiftly.

The only other problem I encountered was that the account I had already set up for a "test drive" had to be ditched. I just couldn't get it to convert from a test drive account to a full account.

Very impressed, and am sure I'll be posting more about it soon (but hopefully it will all stay positive! :) )

That's good to hear, just ordered mine from Komplett, should arrive in a few days.

Looking to use it to control my home cinema system amd light dimmers.

Sounds like i'll be placing my order very soon!!!

Erik, will be looking forward to your input re your new toy!!!

OK, I have now almost finished setting up all of my devices the way I want them. A few niggles with the way the Harmony PC software works. As I said, it's not all that intuitive, but once you have made sense of the nonsense, you learn to avoid them in the future.

For example - I set up my TiVo on a "Watch TiVo" activity, and that was all working lovely. Then I set up a "Watch TV" activity (in case anyone wants to just watch standard live terrestrial). There's one column in the button setup screen for my "Watch TV" activity that says "TV - Video Display". If you set any IR commands into that column, it duplicates those settings in every single activity that involves the TV. I'm not sure if you're following that (you have to really see the software and the results to understand, I imagine!) but basically, if you use this particular column, and it gets duplicated to all your other activities, when you press "Channel Up" (for example), it does it on both the TiVo AND the TV. Bloody annoying. So you just have to learn not to put ANYTHING in that column, just do it in the "TV - Channel Tuner" column - then it's only applied to that activity.

Takes a while to get your head around the processes, but once they're set up, it all makes sense. The Smart State stuff works very well.

I ordered mine from Komplett too - took about three days for it to get to me. Great price, great service. I asked them to change their systems so that they sent TWO Euro > UK plug adapters (since they only sent me one in the first place, and I've heard that on several other threads) - didn't have a reply, but with any luck they'll have that sorted out at some point.

Next things to work out are: (a) is it possible to use my Ikea Koppla automation system through RF and (b) is it possible to change the images on the activity screen and (c) whilst in an activity is it possible to assign an image to a soft key button action (instead of text).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom