1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The mysteries of winamp etc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Hello I got bored again and its very busy at work so need to take my mind off things.

I've decided to invest a bit of time and effort getting my HTPC up to decent scratch with regard to music playback.

Not too sure whether to with MP3 or some lossless wma flavour but to start the ball rolling.

Is winamp the playback app of choice or is there something even better?

I do like the idea of having the visualisations on the go on the projector though. i also use myHTPC which I think has some built in facility for easy integration with winamp. However its winamp2 rather than winamp3 the latest one. Some people seem to suggest that winamp3 is a little bit "fat" and winamp 2 is pretty good anyway...pros and cons?

I've done a bit or research into this asio malarkey and resampling and that all seems like a good idea too!

I'm running W2K with an audiophile 2496 connected via spdif to my yamaha rxv630 and this works just dandy for dvd playback in theatertek.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Winamp is good. I suggest you stick to 2.xx rather than 3 though. As for music format I'm inclined to go with mpc if you don't need to use the rips on portable players or anything like that. File size is similar to mp3 but the quailty is a lot better. For the vast majority of people quaility level 6 will give you a copy that you can't distinguish from the original in a file about 9x smaller.

If you want the best quailty go for Monkey Audio, but that is a lot more space. It will only achieve about 50% compression on a wav file.

MPC stuff

Monkey Audio aka APE

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    thanks for that I'll go with your advice and stick with version2.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,487
    I use Monkeys Audio and use 4am Music Console from www.overnighttech.com, it uses Winamp and provides a very nice frontend for music playback. I use the ASIO Winamp plugin and the MAudio Revolution with the ASIO plugin configured to resample to 96khz. Sounds fantastic!

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Had a fiddle last night.
    Tried the asio plugin and the MAD and SSRC plugings. ( seperately of course)

When using the MAD/SSRC combo I had to switch the maudio router over to monitor mixer to get it to output through spdif. I'm assuming this is correct as its using directsound.

Whereas the ASIO pluging bypasses it ? Yes?

The asio plugin seems to sound better to me tan resampling ( assuming I'm doing it correctly).

I was only using CDs rather than ripping and compressing them but I'll probably go with EAC and Monkey's Audio.
    Would the fact I was using CDs produce any odd behaviour ie: bypass the plugins?

Also what would you expect to see on the amp: mine just shows PCM in both cases I believe.

6. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Winamp 2 is I think still the player of choice, the beauty of it is you can basically disable all the suppiled stuff and add in the best plug-ins for each bit and effectively build a new signal path.

Plug-ins you want are the cd reader plug-in, mad and the ASIO. You should have no need for the SSRC plug-in. And yes I would expect you to see PCM on the amp at all times.

I think the ASIO plug-in does bypass al the mixer stuff which life slightly easier.

Playing back from CD's should be similar to playing back a lossless encode.

John

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Thanks for that. I was half expecting to see some indication of 24/96 . Better read my amp manual.

Pulled in a couple of visualisations too. The idea being to get really good audio quality and have whacky visuals banging away on the projector. Hopefully I can get it all working through myHTPC.

Do I need another plugin to get winamp to handle Monkey Audio ?

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The winamp plugin is automaticalled installed if you grab the setup file from my link above. You can find it separately if you look hard enough.

What are you using for visualisations? MilkDrop is very good.

http://www.nullsoft.com/free/milkdrop/

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    As usual I do something slightly different. ;)

I run WinAMP 3, the fact that it takes up a lot of resources isn't an issue, it certainly can't compete with DScaler in that regard. :) I just love the look of the skin I use. My RME card bypasses the kmixer, so I don't need an ASIO solution. WinAMP 3 also lets me play DTS CDs. I rip CDs to hard disk with EAC and leave them in uncompressed format, I don't own enough CDs to worry about disk space.

Jeff

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Ah right I downloaded monkey audio last night but haven't installed it yet.

Yep I got milkdrop and another one called monkey which seems quite good. I haven't had much chance getting them to be beat reactive. Wonder if the asio path makes that a nonstarter.

I'll have to find a nice skin for it too but I need to look into the myHTPC module and see how it integrates as the skin may not be an issue as a result.

So I'll spend the weekend ( well half of it unfortunately as I'm working) playing with compressing using APE and EAC.

Any suggestions welcome regarding visualisations and skins.

11. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using the milkdrop plugin for ages with my panasonic projector and spent many an evening just staring at the 7' image (totally mental), i have however just switched to acidspunk and that seems to be even cooler, with a wider range of effects imo, Give it a go and see what you think.

All the best..........Splice;)

12. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

I've not bothered with winamp 3 yet, has it caught up in terms of plug-ins yet, are there versions of mad, a decent cd reader and ASIO for it yet. You're right the resource issue isn't a concern but plug-in compatibility/availibility is.

Mr D

If, your using digital to a decent processor then there "should" be no benefit to resampling. There is obviously lots that can go wrong if it's done badly but very little to gain. If there is a known filtering problem with your amp then maybe try running at 96. The mad plug-n should allow you to switch on 32-bit mode which should then switch you over to 32bit 44.1kHz PCM but the main benifit to this would IIRC if you were connecting via the analogue outputs, maybe recent versions of MAD handle 24bits but the old ones never used to. The 24 bit stuff is only appliccable to MP3s as there is no reason to mess with a standard PCM bitstream.

John

13. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    John,

Yes plugin support for V3 is still very patchy, I guess I'm lucky that everything I need comes included in the main code.