The Mummy Returns & the BBFC

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PaulBoy, May 14, 2001.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I read with interest the HCC News item recently about possible cut(s) in the above movie ... I then saw a clip of the film on C4 and it clearly showed (or seemed to to me) Rachel Weiss "nutting" someone during heated fisticuffs ... According to the BBFC
    site this is their current blurb on the movie ... "When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 129m 34s.
    This work was passed with no cuts made.
    Prior to submission, while the film was still in post-production, the company was given advice that a headbutt delivered by Rachel Weisz was unlikely to be acceptable at any category below 15. This action was not present when the film was submitted for classification." The film is classified as 12
    I know its only one headbutt but does anyone know how this would affect the DVD when it comes ?

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Paul,

Having not seen the "headbutting" in question, I can't say if the BBFC have let it through, if it is only brief, and in context, or if it has been removed prior to being classified. Therefore, it would not be fair for me to say how it will affect the DVD version. However, what I can say is this:

Originally, the BBFC let "The Mummy" through uncensored on UK DVD as a "15", but the edited version was released to home video. When the BBFC did one of their censorship roadshows, I brought this up with them:- why do you sometimes allow two versions of a movie with different certificates to be released?

Their response was, that at the time, DVD was still in a relative state of infancy in the UK, thus they thought that only serious cinephiles would get to see the uncensored 15 certificate version, and hence at that time, posed no problem.

However, since then, the BBFC have decided that this can a) be confusing to the public, and b) can occasionally cause problems when it comes to young film fans wanting to see the uncut version, when it isn't suitable for them. Hence, they have now made the decision that no film should be rereleased on DVD with a different certificate to that of a video version. Therefore, if the "headbutt" has been passed intact for cinema, it may get through on video and DVD, but with both versions being upped to a 15, or else, it will be censored, and remain as a 12 certificate.

Personally though, I'd simply just get the R1 or R4 version, as then there's a much better chance of getting the original, as-the-director-intended edition of the movie, that won't have been edited in any way, shape or form.

Whilst the BBFC have said that they no longer want this "same film, different format, different certificate" problem to crop up again, it does seem rather hypocritical when they have recently reclassified several films for DVD as 15's, e.g., "The Terminator: SE", "Papillon", "The Last Temptation Of Christ", etc, etc.

With the upcoming release of "Terminator 2: Judgement Day SE" (whenever it gets released in the UK), this is likely to be left uncensored, but increased to an 18 for DVD, but edited back to its 15 certificate version for any future video release, to correspond with all previous video versions.

I get the impression that on the one-hand, the BBFC are saying "Of course, adults should be free to watch what they want, without censorial interference", but are then adding an addendum of: "But we have the right to change our minds, when it suits us."

I guess, we'll just have to wait and see....

Pooch

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hmmm let me think ...
    Get a cut 12 cert on R2 months after the uncut R1 (or R4) version ...
    Now that's a toughie !!!

4. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Region 1 for me every time.
    I can't stand the big 15, 18 badges they plaster all over the DVD case.
    It stinks.
    :mad:

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unlikely considering that it has always been cut, and that this approach was tried for the recent release of Cliffhanger to no avail. We were left with the Cut 15 version.

As to Mummy Returns yes its precut by the Production team to get the 12. Will it be cut for UK R2 release? Put it this way... Are you gonna take the chance?

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Jenz,

You say that: "Unlikely considering that it has always been cut, and that this approach was tried for the recent release of Cliffhanger to no avail. We were left with the Cut 15 version."

I think you'll find that the reason we were left with the cut 15 version, is because the distributors know that a 15 certificate film will sell more copies, than the 18 certificate version. There have been numerous occasions when the BBFC have offered films in uncut versions, as one certificate higher than the requested cert, but 99.9% of companies say "no", because financially, they don't want to take the risk!

Whilst I commend the BBFC's new relaxed rules, and am not a fan of some of their decisions, ultimately, it is the distributors who decide which certificate to give their product, when it comes to either:

a) an uncut 15, or censored 12, or
    b) an uncut 18, or censored 15.

Stupid, but then what do we know?! After all, we only constantly buy uncensored R1 or R4 discs, and yet R2 companies blame the fans for not supporting R2 films! Could it be that if R2 companies didn't keep screwing fans, hand-over-fist, then maybe we would buy more R2 discs?! Nah! That's too sensible! ;)

Pooch

7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,189
    I was reluctantly sent to watch The Mummy Returns at the weekend. I thought it stank, big time. But then I didn't like the first film and would say it's easily in my top ten of worst films I've ever seen. Although, I'd say anyone that did like The Mummy will be happy with the sequel but, for me, it came very close to being as bad as the first. Reactions from folk leaving the show varied from "Best film I've ever seen" to quite a few that echoed my sentiments above. Still, it was free so I'm not complaining it's just that I can think of better things to do with my time. Plenty of them.

8. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the UK T2 on VHS is 18 rating, and 15 on DVD. This is because when the film was submitted for video release the BBFC considered it an 18 classification film. When the DVD was released the BBFC was required to re-examine it as it was considered a different version (extras, etc).

The BBFC decided that public attitudes (and that of the BBFC themselves) to violence has relaxed, and that the film now only rated a 15 certificate.

However, the BBFC has no powers to go back and retro-actively re-assess a film unless it is resubmitted by the distributors, hence the discrepancy between the VHS and DVD versions of the film.

9. Mikael

Mikael

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The T2 UK LD was cert 18, as was the original VHS, IIRC. But the longer version, T-1000 edittion, was cert 15, I think (I have sold it now...) and it was definitely cut, apart from minor snips to variuos fight scenes, one thing I remember was gone was the 'we got Skynet by the balls now!' line. I have become very suspicious of R2 UK discs...

10. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen it and all I can say is I want it on DVD now... great movie...

11. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I saw it yesterday and thought it was a steaming great pile of something not very pleasant! Huge letdown as I loved the original. All SFX, no story.

Censored or uncut, R1, R2 or R4, I regret this is one film that won't be added to my collection.

Re: the headbutt. You don't actually see any contact, but you do see most of the move and then the 'victim' recoiling and it's obvious a headbutt occurred, and you don't really miss anything.

For the sake of a split second of action, it's easy to see why the studio would prefer to lose it and get a wider audience. :)

12. Dorian

Dorian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Couldn't agree more. The plot is daft (yet convoluted) and everything is built around the CGI. Plus the derigible (is that right ?) or airship was totally silly.

And we have to have a kid to supposedly enhance appeal to younger viewers, and spoil it for everybody else.

Domino

13. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just saw it a couple of hours ago at the cinema.

I think if the first part appealed to you you will like it, though it's surely not going to beat it it isn't much worst either.
    One for the "Mummy" fans only ...

Part 3: The Mummy Forever ;)