• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The most quiet SATAII drive

badbob

Banned
Got a couple of Samsungs, apart from some case noise idle vibration noise is non existant. Seek noise is similar to a modern 2.5" HD

Gow87

Established Member
gotta agree with Bob. samsung were one of the first to put emphasis on quiet drives... the western digital although quieter is quite a bit slower.. but also better for your energy bill. samsungs give good performance and are quiet, the worst ive ever heard is an old seagate 320 i have but according to that review theyve come on leaps and bounds.

To be fair it looks as though all manufacturers are looking into reducing noise so i dont think you'll be disappointed either way. I have always use and always will use samsung after bad experiences with other brands but its down to personal preference

a5ian300zx

Prominent Member
the two of the most quietest drives I know are:

Samsung F1 (also quite cheap) uses less platters thus less seek time = less noise :) IMHO

Western Digital GP drive brilliant drive and the most compatible drive) I have two of these myself and one in my tvix player and i can't hear it at all)

how this works is it adjust speed automatically so takes less power = less noise and better cooling. runs between 5400-7200rpm more than enough to run media even at 5400 rpm.

I bought the Samsung f1 first had compatibility problems with my motherboard (nvidia chipset) so returned and bought WD GP best drive.

Seagate are quite loud drives but for performance very good.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Probably too late, but I give my vote to Samsung.

Not sure but you could pick-up a 1TB for a 100 of our pounds.

fringe

Standard Member
samsungs give good performance and are quiet, the worst ive ever heard is an old seagate 320 i have but according to that review theyve come on leaps and bounds.

Have to agree with you there, I have a pair of Seagate 320 drives in RAID configuration and they make a racket when seeking :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom