The Most Popular Flickr Photos - 2017

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Some fantastic photos there. Unfortunately it also shows that (for the most part) you have to be a whizz with photoshop to be popular. I’d love to know how many hours people spent processing some of these. One day I’ll pull my finger out and learn PS, out of curiosity as much as anything to see if I could possibly make any of my shots magazine/book publishable like these.

stearman65

None of mine there either:facepalm:, my fave' was the mono staircase with the priest at the bottom. The way things are heading up I will probably be concentrating more on video next year.:clap:

Elrond

slightly puzzled by the appearance of the castle with scaffolding on it?
Probably due to this:
To reach this final list, we started with an algorithm that calculated the top photos based on a number of social and engagement metrics, for example, how many times the photo was viewed, faved, or shared. Flickr staff curated that raw data to avoid the results being a complete popularity contest. We also limited selections to one photo per photographer who placed in the top list multiple times.
Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing shots there but they are the "most popular". In other words, you could have an amazing photo that anyone would rank higher than those 25, but if it doesn't get noticed!

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
At least no Barbie or Bus or Lego Figure shots made it in ;)

AMc

Distinguished Member
Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing shots there but they are the "most popular". In other words, you could have an amazing photo that anyone would rank higher than those 25, but if it doesn't get noticed!
That's what I don't get - you have an algorithm to pick the original sample but a human "curated" that particular shot. I'd be surprised if there wasn't another chocolate box picture of a snowy castle that didn't have scaffolding on it somewhere in the sample.
Perhaps they chose it because it's quirky?

Johnmcl7

The breakdown of photos posted to Flickr is also quite intriguing:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/61061...ickr-s-2017-uploads-but-dslrs-are-on-the-rise

Smartphones dominate a lot more than I thought as while I realise they're popular in general, I thought a service like Flickr would be more used by dedicated cameras. The mirrorless camera market share is less than I thought but I guess they're still quite new in the grand scheme of cameras and there's still plenty DSLRs being sold.

John

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Won't be seeing much of you for a while then.... :devil:

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Thanks to TP I accidentally learned about the safe search filter I'd been using all these years without realising - I now know about a whole other side of Flickr I was blissfully unaware of until now :eek:
Put it back on, nobody wants to see the stuff Jim posts on there :eek: