1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Most Playable Game

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Julia, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Please can someone recommend a good playable game (a top notch one that should be playable, and not necessary have just nice graphics that make the game so slow).

Something as good and maybe better than the Tie Fighter from years ago if you know what I mean (by the way we have some problems running Tie Fighter on XP :mad: ).

All ideas most welcome :)
    Julia

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    I assume by playable you mean straightforward/simple to play, and not reliant on powerful hardware?

If so, step forward Diablo II, recommended with the Lords of Destruction add-on. Available pretty cheaply on ebay and from Game.

Its very straightforward to play, has pretty good longevity and its cheap. Can't say much fairer than that.

If it's a straightforward X-Wing style of game you want, then Freelancer is reasonably OK. It can be too easy to get lost sometimes, but the controls are very simple.

3. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Squiffy for your help.
    No, I don't mean simple or straightforward. It can be pretty complex, but what I mean most it's fun and very involving to play again and again (so you don't get bored easily).
    It can be reliant on powerful hardware (as I have a 3.4 GHz and 1GB Ram and 9600 ATI), but I would not like slugish graphics nevertheless.
    While we liked a lot Tie Fighter, we did not like much X-Wing.

Thanks,

Julia

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    Soon as I saw the question I was going to suggest Diablo II and the add on this game I have played more than any other as there are so many characters to build and many ways to build each one I’m just playing it again till I can get a game save near the end for Thief Deadly Shadows (lost it when I re-installed Window) which is a top notch game, and it is more accessible than the other Thief games although no of the levels are as big.

Diablo II and the expansion are in the 3 for £20 at Game at present. I also think No One Lives Forever 2 is in that range which is a 60’s female first person.

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +865
    I would recommend 'Independance War 2 - Edge Of Chaos'. Not a game i would say you would play again and again (though i've just started it again after a long time). But this game is BIG and has really stood the test of time well - the graphics still look really nice, and the whole game is just jam-packed with atmosphere.....harking back to a better time for PC space games done well (as with TIE fighter). This game is very involving indeed.

available at special reserve for £6.99

6. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, if you're looking for replay value, then I'd suggest the following:

- Championship Manager. The sheer depth of this game will literally allow you to play this game for years. You can virtually take control of any club in any league around the world (right down to the Conference league in England (and lower I think - I know you can play the likes of say Boger Regis etc.)). Anyway, no two games will be the same - even with the same club.

- GTA / Vice City. I think I spent a few weeks in this game just driving around the city and messing about. Then you've got the missions to do which are equally enjoyable the second time around.

- Any Good Multiplayer game. I played Unreal Tournament (a lot!) for about 4 years. This one really had me hooked (because it was my first real multiplayer game I guess) and it was great meeting different people online. I've since moved on to UT 2004 which is just as good a game, although it will never live up to the good old days ;). There are other similar games like Quake III, RTCW and more realistic ones like Medal of Honor although I don't really play these ones that much (they're too slow for my liking).

Anyway, they're my suggestions. I don't know if any appeal to you though...

Alex

7. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    for the Tie Fighter probs have a look here

my recommendation for a new game would be Knights of the old Republic then, even though i found it to be to easy or to short depends how you see that, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

8. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you enjoyed tie fighter and want to stick to this particular genre of game, check out X wing alliance ( plenty of mods and updates available) and freespace 1 & 2, both are available on budget and are award winning titles.

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i'm very partial to Splinter Cell (the first one, not Pandora tomorrow) and Morrowind is probably the deepest game ever made for the PC but it will be sluggish no matter what you play it on because it was badly written, but still well worth playing.

10. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,948
    C&C Zero Hour (skirmish mode)
    Colin Mcrae Rally 4
    UT2003

11. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
  12. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    worms is a game i have never put away since i started playing it about 3 years ago
    even made a tutorial site for it ---> www.worms.onlyhere.net
    great choice h4r7y ;)

14. DooBee

DooBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.ratbaggames.com
    Powerslide. Racing and others modes including good weapons. A one of a kind game that many still play weekly online, if not more.

If you want more. I would highly reccommend
    Tachyon.. by far, still the best 3d space shooter out there with outstanding online gaming.

Ghost Recon is also a very good game that was ahead of its' time as to gfx requirements but now runs very well on mainstream PC's..

These ARE indeed fps's in the sense that it is you against everyone else (or team play). They online very well and have great singleplayer storylines.
    Complex indeed.. and entirely up to the user, making these a shoe-in for "most playable games".

My 1st nOOb post here and I got to mention the best game you never heard of... POWERSLIDE~! weeeeeeeeeeee

and yea, Worms Armegeddon!! hehe wooooot!

check out the powerslide Videos of us.

Cheers :clap: