1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The most expensive DVD I own...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by juniper, Oct 28, 2004.

1. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Can't see that anyone has done this before (if they have then point me to it, I'll join in :), but just wondered if other people like me have watched a DVD whereby it has ended costing them a whole lot more than they bargained for? I nearly called this thread "DVDs that changed your life...", but thought it was a bit too dramatic (or maybe yours did :eek: ).

Anyway, in my case, having watched Band of Brothers in its entirety for the first time, and in particular getting completely engrossed in the documentary "We Stand Together...", I decided to recreate some of the route that Easy Company took through Europe (yes, I'm serious :eek: ).

We (Mrs Juniper and me :) ) therefore took our next holiday starting extremely close to Brecourt Manor, visiting St Marie Du Mont, St Mere Eglise etc. We also did Carentan. We then went up to Holland, stayed in Son, and did from the Wilhelmina Canal up to Arnhem, seeing lots of things synonymous with "Hell's Highway". I can recommend in particular the museum in Best called "Wings of Liberation". Then it was on to Bastogne (best part of the trip for me). We even found "old Jack Foy's woods" (brought a lump to my throat I can tell you), and spent an age looking at the foxholes (yes they are still there!), staring at the lines of the trees, looking out over Foy etc. The museum in Bastogne is fantastic too. Even found the little church where the nuns came and sang to them! Went on to lots more stuff too boring and long to mention here, but just thought I'd share it! Anyways, the point is the whole trip probably cost £3k or so, thus making it my most expensive DVD by some margin!

At least my Home Cinema now includes on the wall a little clock and a little flag which bear the Screaming Eagles insignia, and "Bastogne" at the top. Trip of a lifetime, and never to be forgotten, and actually, looking back, worth every single penny :clap:

2. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I bought a SACD and realized I couldn't play it on my current setup (no digital out) so had to go out and buy a new AV amp which set me back £250 plus speaker upgrades I HAD to do to match the amp :p . Was just the push I needed but only played the SACD once since then :/ ...

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    That's fantastic Juniper:) I'm interested in WWII history, and would love to visit those places. The only place I've been to that was in Band of Brothers was Garmisch, on the austrian border (where they liberated the concentration camp). Was in Germany last week and was planning a trip to the Eagle's Nest, sadly the weather was pretty poor so we didn't bother:(

4. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Smurfin,

If you like BoB, and WWII history, would thoroughly recommend the Bastogne area - aside from wonderful Ardennes countryside, there's lots of places of nostalgia (like Houffalize, where Patton's army met the rest of the US army in their spearhead attack to rescue the 101st), some immaculatley kept cemetaries from both "sides" etc.,. At the museum in Best which I mentioned before, the proprietor was a wonderful character - he had been in the Dutch resisitance in WWII, and ended up joining up with "Hell on Wheels", which was the US Armoured 2nd (I think) division. A wonderful man with more stories to tell than you could ever have time for.

The Eagles Nest we did as well - the elevator which takes you up to Hitler's retreat is made of solid brass and gold :eek:. The place itself is incredibly picturesque, and nearby Berchtesgaden is beautiful and friendly. I found the overall Eagles Nest thing just a little "touristy" though - perhaps thats why I enjoyed the woods at Bastogne so much - there was not another sould around for miles but us! The drive up to the Nest though is spectacular - you can see what he had in mind when he put it there!!

5. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    That sounds like a fantastic trip, I'd love to do something similar, me and a mate were talking about doing something similar as he has just come back from a trip around Austria, Germany and Poland where he visited Auschwitz among other places.

I went to Arnhem when I was still at school and walked accross the bridge, there was an airborne museum nearby which was quite interesting, its in the old hotel that was used by the allies in WW2, I'd like to go back again now that I know a little more of the history.

6. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The most expensive DVD I own? Well this is stretching it a bit....but......I was a major fan of the "Hammer House of Horror" TV series as a kid and when it eventually became available on R1 DVD I loved it even more. So obsessed was I that I travelled Buckinghamshire hunting down locations to the point that I realised it was a great area so I bought a house there and a year later got married in the old studios that hammer used for this series....so you could argue that this DVD set was the most expensive ever :laugh:

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Heimat is out soon. Renouned as one of the best WWII (ish) docos out there.

Will be about £80, so will be my most expensive dvd when released!

Can't be highly enough recommended!

8. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carl Sagan's Cosmos (7-disc set). Cost me £61.50 two years ago from CD Universe plus a hefty customs charge, in the days when I didn't know any better. I would have saved a fortune using DVD Pacific or Soon

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,235
    don't want to be the bearer of bad news...but...you don't need any digital connections to play SACD :eek:

10. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    juniper, you should have travelled onto Luxembourg to complete your trip and visit the grave of General George Patton at Hamm military grave. I keep meaning to visit it. No excuse really, since I'm on that route each day. Nice country as well, Luxembourg. Now I'm going off topic. Sorry.