The Mosquito Coast (2021) (Apple TV+) TV Show Review & Comments (Spoiler free)

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thank you Cas. Our plan is to find a week with nothing going on, get the week free Apple offer, & binge the heck out of the Disney+ stuff we think we'll like. This has joined that list

zubeir

We watched the first two episodes back to back over the Bank Holiday weekend, really enjoyed it. Good performance from the leads, tense at times. The picture quality and Dolby Vision is excellent, sound is also spot on.

james03

We’re enjoying it but I’ve read a lot of reviews that suggest it’s not worth the time so lord knows what’s in store. Reminds me of zero zero zero in that the production quality is extremely high but to be fair it’s not a patch on that epic piece of Tv.

ggwoodland

I have now watched the first 2 episodes as well - the production values are great. I am finding the story a little confusing at the moment as I have no experience with the book or the film. But it is certainly interesting so far and I’ll keep on watching- george

The_Wierd

Never seen the Ford movie, or read the novel, so didn't know what this was about. The trailer that pops up on my ATV doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to the description in this review, it makes it look like a very generic thriller, but sounds like it may be a bit more interesting than that. Is the story that much of a classic that they assume everyone already knows what it's about, or just bad marketing? Anyway I will give it a go based on this.

I'm still in my free year of ATV+ and in that year I have watched Greyhound, the first episode of Servant (meh) and See (terrible!) and about half of For All Mankind before I got bored of it. Everything else got about 10 minutes max. Even if this is great, I don't think I will be renewing the sub.

james03

I'm still in my free year of ATV+ and in that year I have watched Greyhound, the first episode of Servant (meh) and See (terrible!) and about half of For All Mankind before I got bored of it. Everything else got about 10 minutes max. Even if this is great, I don't think I will be renewing the sub.
Kind of agree with you, I’m on a free deal but with the content they provide I doubt I’d be paying.
Trying is worth a watch with rafe spall, disarming comedy drama, I can recommend it.

Slinkywizard

To echo what others have said. Production values are off the charts, and the picture and sound quality is the best I've seen in a TV show since See (also Apple TV+).

I'm also a big, big fan of Justin Theroux since finishing out The Leftovers – an almost criminally underwatched masterpiece that unfortunately doesn't reveal its God-tier status until season 2.

I enjoyed the first two episodes. Part of that is definitely the production values and audiovisual fidelity, both of which are keeping my attention more firmly fixed to a story that isn't doing anything particularly special. There's some weighty performances mind you, and the writing is well above average.

Will definitely continue to watch. It's an 8/10 from me based on first two episodes.

encaser

Distinguished Member
I've been kind of, sort of (not) looking forward to this and left it for a review here by yourself or Tom. So, my initial doubts are that I really liked the film in story and lead pair who were very believable. It's become one of those that you saw at a formative time and don't want some young upstart reimagining what had all the imagining you needed. In fact, the blend of Ford in mad scientist mode, Mirren as the faithful calming sea, the jungle scenes and wondered natives all faithfully blended to produce some real and extraordinary ice.
I will give this a spin though, in large part to your review, to see if it has some formative metal and can stray away from my other concern, that it's going to be a thinly veiled and weak attempt at jungle Ozarks.
Unfortunately, Apple has steadily drifted into the realms of producing great looking offspring that you like, rather than truly love.

Last edited:

james03

Well I can’t say the third episode had much going on at all, felt like a complete drag which is disappointing. Hope it’s a blip

Geordie Amanda

Standard Member
I signed up for Apple tv last year and they keep sending me a credit note to match my monthly payment. I've had 'Apple tv' free for 5 or 6 months so far!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom