The Morning After A Good Night Out....

shotokan101

Ex Member
Reaction score
The Morning After A Good Night Out....

Morning After A Good Night Out....
by shotokan101, on Flickr

Deliberately shot this handheld at high ISO to go for a gritty morning after feel :facepalm: - if you've been there then you'll get it ;)

Processed in LR4 - cropped - blacks and contrast boosted - saturation tweaked a little - clarity boosted - some NR and sharpening then slight dark vignette added.

Taken on January 24, 2014 at 2.32AM GMT (edit)
Posted to Flickr January 24, 2014 at 12.56AM GMT (edit)
Exif data
CameraSony SLT-A77V
Exposure0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length40 mm
ISO Speed1600
Exposure Bias+0.3 EV
FlashOff, Did not fire
SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4 (Windows)
Date and Time (Modified)2014:01:24 00:50:08
Exposure ProgramAperture-priority AE
Sensitivity TypeRecommended Exposure Index
Recommended Exposure Index1600
Date and Time (Original)2014:01:24 02:32:01
Date and Time (Digitized)2014:01:24 02:32:01

Jim

Nice idea but not wowed by the overall image I'm afraid Jim, sorry :( I can elaborate if you like, but I still feel a bit awkward about critiquing other people's work, especially when you've been so kind since I joined, and also because I know my pics aren't great so who am I to criticise :blush:

Get stuck in ya big Wuss! :p

All my shots have an Implicit "RIA" Tag (and explicit in my Sig ;))- and Compo. shots even more ;)

And all feedback is interesting IMO :thumbsup:

Jim

Last edited:
Interesting idea. It's a little dark for me though, the phone in particular seems to disappear into the background.

Plus if it was a really good night out there's no way you'd have over a tenner left!

Interesting idea. It's a little dark for me though, the phone in particular seems to disappear into the background.

Plus if it was a really good night out there's no way you'd have over a tenner left!

Thanks Steve - I did have a look at shooting it on a lighter background but while avoiding the "issue" you mention with the phone it just didn't work for me in the context of my idea for the shot so in fact I added the dark vignette partly to emphasise that on the outer edge as well as pull attention in a bit.

And it is intentionally a bit dark - I never feel bright and breezy the next morning :p

Regarding the money left - that all depends on how much you started with I suppose.... ;) :eek: :blush:

Interesting take and the lighting sets the tone.
I want to know how many tried to call Tracy's number though.

Interesting take and the lighting sets the tone.
I want to know how many tried to call Tracy's number though.

Thanks - and it did cross my mind - I'll ask her at the weekend ;)

I'm really not sure about this one shoto. I like the idea but somethings throwing me. To me, the note paper is sharp, bright and crisp but the coins are a bit fuzzy and dark.
You might be going for the hangover fuzz but then the notepaper just pulls me out of it.

I'm really not sure about this one shoto. I like the idea but somethings throwing me. To me, the note paper is sharp, bright and crisp but the coins are a bit fuzzy and dark.
You might be going for the hangover fuzz but then the notepaper just pulls me out of it.

Thanks - appreciate the feedback - FWIW the note was the highlight of the night :D - I know what you mean about the coins and I did actually have a play with the curves and even some additional saturation and clarity tweaking but couldn't really improve things much without some extensive localised exposure adjustment and the shapes/area involved was a bit fiddly so I decided to go with it as it was.

JIm

A know it's "intentional" but it's a little too dark for my taste, I'm afraid. I do like the concept though - I just feel more could have been done with the shot.

Get stuck in ya big Wuss! :p

All my shots have an Implicit "RIA" Tag (and explicit in my Sig ;))- and Compo. shots even more ;)

And all feedback is interesting IMO :thumbsup:

Jim
Okey dokey. As others have said it looks a bit dark, or I'd say underexposed as opposed to dark. Also it looks a bit flat, nothing 'pops' for me and the coins looks soft/out of focus? Finally, admittedly my screen is not 'properly' calibrated but the colours look a bit off to me on whatever I've viewed it on (Mac, iPad, iPhone), especially the coins.

If I compare this to "one lucky evening" whilst this is also a dark image the exposure still looks correct. Also the subjects have more 'pop'.

Sorry matey :confused:

A know it's "intentional" but it's a little too dark for my taste, I'm afraid. I do like the concept though - I just feel more could have been done with the shot.

Thanks Darren - I knew before I started on this one that it wasn't going to be to every(any?)one's taste but as you know by now that was never going to stop me :D

While I'm actually pretty happy with how the shot turned out as it's certainly managed to capture the image I had in my head but I can see why some viewers have issues with it and I'm most definitely not saying that it's couldn't be improved ;)

I'm sure that not many will appreciate how much actually arranging and fiddling with the objects in the shot was needed to make it appear as if I'd just dumped out the contents of my pockets..... :( :beer:

Jim

Okey dokey. As others have said it looks a bit dark, or I'd say underexposed as opposed to dark. Also it looks a bit flat, nothing 'pops' for me and the coins looks soft/out of focus? Finally, admittedly my screen is not 'properly' calibrated but the colours look a bit off to me on whatever I've viewed it on (Mac, iPad, iPhone), especially the coins.

If I compare this to "one lucky evening" whilst this is also a dark image the exposure still looks correct. Also the subjects have more 'pop'.

Sorry matey :confused:

a) Stop apologising :D

b) Thanks for the additional feedback :cool:

c) no it's not a tool - oops - sorry wrong thread ;)

d) Well I've already covered the "dark" and the "coins" issues in earlier replies I think but I definitely don't think there's a colour issue at least in terms of the actual colour tones so that might be due to calibration differences as you say (and yes I KNOW!!!) - I'd agree that the colors on the coins don't "pop" (weren't meant to mind you but I probably would have liked them in retrospect to be slightly brighter) but I don't think that they are really soft/oof but the effects of the high ISO noise does seem more noticeable on them for some reason - not to say that I mind that as I was after a gritty look/feel... :)

Jim

....just realised that I forgot one element that I'd planned for the shot - I was supposed to have the phone on with missed calls from Tracy showing on the screen..... :blush: :facepalm: :suicide:

I very much like the idea behind this shot and the concept, but feel something is missing and I'm not sure what.

I definitely think having the phone showing missed calls from Tracy would have improved the shot, balancing out the image a bit and adding another element to the story :smashin:

I very much like the idea behind this shot and the concept, but feel something is missing and I'm not sure what.

I definitely think having the phone showing missed calls from Tracy would have improved the shot, balancing out the image a bit and adding another element to the story :smashin:

Thankds - yes I agree and the lit phone was to help balance the left side a bit better as well as enhancing the storyline... "C'est la Vie..." :)

a) Stop apologising :D

b) Thanks for the additional feedback :cool:

c) no it's not a tool - oops - sorry wrong thread ;)

d) Well I've already covered the "dark" and the "coins" issues in earlier replies I think but I definitely don't think there's a colour issue at least in terms of the actual colour tones so that might be due to calibration differences as you say (and yes I KNOW!!!) - I'd agree that the colors on the coins don't "pop" (weren't meant to mind you but I probably would have liked them in retrospect to be slightly brighter) but I don't think that they are really soft/oof but the effects of the high ISO noise does seem more noticeable on them for some reason - not to say that I mind that as I was after a gritty look/feel... :)

Jim
I think part of it depends on what size the image is to be honest, the coins look a lot better in terms of 'focus' when I view your full size image on flickr, although on my screen I can only see part of the image at a time at that size.
I guess you know what the lighting was like and how the coins looked, but if I hold a pound coin up to the screen the colour's definitely not the same. Maybe I should refrain from commenting on colours until I get my screen properly calibrated though ;)

Definitely - though I suspect you'll get out of the habit of pixel peeping all the time - trust me - I personally don't care too much about that sort of thing (absolute sharpness) when viewing others shots and much prefer to just see how a shot impacts me viewed at normal size and I tend to reserve peeping for the times when I'm assessing lens quality on sample shots etc. - or occasionally if someone else happens to comment on sharpness of course :)

Nice shot Jim and as others have said mate a bit dark, but , I do like this because as a nut case Scot when I was younger this is exactly what I saw in amonst all other crap on my bedroom floor as young man.......maybe not the money cos my brothers would nick it, but the rest?...............Hell yeah. Them was the days.............Pit closures, Ravenscraig, fighting the ****! Loved it

I stopped drinking in 1994 after near kidney failure and I'm paying the price now............but yes I do like this mate.

Nice 1

ice

Cheers Andy - thought the last tine we saw this sight I guess there were thruppeny bits and sixpences among the "smash" and god knows what the phone would have looked like :D

Cheers Andy - thought the last tine we saw this sight I guess there were thruppeny bits and sixpences among the "smash" and god knows what the phone would have looked like :D

Na,, Half crown Jim..........20 BlackCats (Craven A) and a shirt bloodied from the night before ............................and then you realize your hand hurts..........at which point you move it only to discover with a seeeering pain that its stuck to the undercover by rockhard blood that then peels of....................and from the room there is a barrage of Bleep bleep...............!!! ****................And then your maw shouts up that she's putting the bacon on fur yi to put on your roll.....................Aye..............wonderful days. Coal soap and dirty baths cos your were not fast enough and all the hot water has gone...............and doon you go and sit next to the fire wi your bacon roll, or 2 if your lucky, and your ma just grumps at the state of your Haun.............."been fighting again have wee?!" ........as she gives yi the evil eye..................Aye!! .............Hell mend yi, Hell mend yi..................jist like yir Da

I That was a while ago Jim, eh? :):facepalm:

Definitely - though I suspect you'll get out of the habit of pixel peeping all the time - trust me - I personally don't care too much about that sort of thing (absolute sharpness) when viewing others shots and much prefer to just see how a shot impacts me viewed at normal size and I tend to reserve peeping for the times when I'm assessing lens quality on sample shots etc. - or occasionally if someone else happens to comment on sharpness of course :)
I don't generally pixel peep other's pics tbh, just did in this case as wondered why it looked soft initially :)

HI Jim i see we had similar ideas really. And both executed it differently. In my personal opinion you could have still got a gritty photo using your DSLR and editing it somewhat on PS or something. It doesnt pop. Maybe if it was BW and gritty it would have given more to it than it currently does. I usually love your work but this is just missing that something for me.

HI Jim i see we had similar ideas really. And both executed it differently. In my personal opinion you could have still got a gritty photo using your DSLR and editing it somewhat on PS or something. It doesnt pop. Maybe if it was BW and gritty it would have given more to it than it currently does. I usually love your work but this is just missing that something for me.
I believe it was taken with his A77 :smashin:

i know i meant as he used his DLSR sorry worded poorly i knew what i was meant to say:p

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom