The Morning After A Good Night Out....

shotokan101

Banned
I don't generally pixel peep other's pics tbh, just did in this case as wondered why it looked soft initially :)

Good to know you've got your habit under control :thumbsup:

HI Jim i see we had similar ideas really. And both executed it differently. In my personal opinion you could have still got a gritty photo using your DSLR and editing it somewhat on PS or something. It doesnt pop. Maybe if it was BW and gritty it would have given more to it than it currently does. I usually love your work but this is just missing that something for me.

Thanks - I did try it in mono with various contrast and grain applied but it just didn't work for me at all :(

thedude

Distinguished Member
Good to know you've got your habit under control :thumbsup:

Thanks - I did try it in mono with various contrast and grain applied but it just didn't work for me at all :(
Feel that pain been there myself

snerkler

i know i meant as he used his DLSR sorry worded poorly i knew what i was meant to say:p
Ahh, I see. I have a habit of misinterpreting ;)

snerkler

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I'm really not sure about this one shoto. I like the idea but somethings throwing me. To me, the note paper is sharp, bright and crisp but the coins are a bit fuzzy and dark.
You might be going for the hangover fuzz but then the notepaper just pulls me out of it.
That's why it works for me, the jarring effect.

shotokan101

Banned
That's why it works for me, the jarring effect.

Cheers - I always find it interesting how different elements in a shot work or not for different people :cool:

Marika

I really don't know what to say about this, Jim. I think it fits the theme, but you guys have had enough banter about it already :)

shotokan101

Banned
Go on M - I'd be interested to hear what you "really" think of the shot whether it be technical critique or your thoughts about the idea itself irrespective of how well/poorly it was implemented :)

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Not keen on the lighting or the form :)

The lighting is very sterile/florescent like.
The black background doesn't work for me, it makes it look to be floating.
This 'surreal' look, does not seem to fit with the image imo.
The edit with mobile screen changed brings the photo to life a bit more, and helps bring out the dark corner of the image.

A suggestion might to have been to shot it on a bedside table, using a bedside lamp for lighting - reducing the number artifacts down - a smaller amount of 'shrapnel', the girls number and mobile phone. Probably taken a different angle.

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
Not keen on the lighting or the form :)

The lighting is very sterile/florescent like.
The black background doesn't work for me, it makes it look to be floating.
This 'surreal' look, does not seem to fit with the image imo.
The edit with mobile screen changed brings the photo to life a bit more, and helps bring out the dark corner of the image.

A suggestion might to have been to shot it on a bedside table, using a bedside lamp for lighting - reducing the number artifacts down - a smaller amount of 'shrapnel', the girls number and mobile phone. Probably taken a different angle.

Thanks for the comments and feedback/suggestions Dan - much appreciated - I can see that the suggested alternate composition/scenario with the lamp could have made for an interesting shot - the only suggestion I'd probably ignore would be the cutting don on the "shrapnel" since that has always been a key factor for me in "morning after a good night out" scenarios (and I know I'm not alone here) as I find it's only ever notes that I seem to use at the bar :D

Jim

Marika

Well, it just doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid, Jim. This kind of light quality is exactly why I don't like flashes and NEVER use them if there's any way I can avoid it :)

shotokan101

Banned
Well, it just doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid, Jim. This kind of light quality is exactly why I don't like flashes and NEVER use them if there's any way I can avoid it :)

Thanks M - didn't use flash though :)

Although I'm a big fan of natural light myself, flash can actually be used very creatively and give super results. Of course, used incorrectly you end up with very unflattering shots with harsh shadows. This is a really good read if you're ever inclined to change your mind: Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites: Amazon.co.uk: Syl Arena: Books . I don't call myself an expert with a flash, but I seem to remember you quite liked my winning entry from the "Creative Still Life" back in September 2011....I used a flash for that ;)

p.s. sorry for taking the thread slightly off track.

snerkler

Although I'm a big fan of natural light myself, flash can actually be used very creatively and give super results. Of course, used incorrectly you end up with very unflattering shots with harsh shadows. This is a really good read if you're ever inclined to change your mind: Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites: Amazon.co.uk: Syl Arena: Books . I don't call myself an expert with a flash, but I seem to remember you quite liked my winning entry from the "Creative Still Life" back in September 2011....I used a flash for that ;)

p.s. sorry for taking the thread slightly off track.
I agree. I was never a fan of flash, but since being introduced to the world of bounce flash it's improved some of my images no end imo.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom