The Moles have landed!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Joe Fernand, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Hello all

Its taken a while longer than we had anticipated but they have arrived at last!!!

Arriving earlier today under the arm of our friendly 'Ryder' driver a pair of boxed Flying Mole DAD-M100proHT were suitably dwarfed by a set of Pioneer Plasma Extension cable boxes; these amps are miniscule.

If you've owned a ZIP drive for a PC or Mac you'll have an idea just how small these little boxes are.

Set up is very easy - plug in a line level RCA signal cable, connect the + and - Speaker cables and then attach a Power cord (IEC) and that's it; attaching the optional stick on foam feet being the only tricky bit!

I'm feeding the L+R fixed line output from a Linn CD and driving a pair of Linn Tukan bookshelf speakers - the DAD-M100proHT have a front panel Input Level rotary control and just above 'minimum' (-30db) is just about right for my 'office' (in Midnight mode ;) ).

So far so good - Kosheens's currently enveloped in a nice wall of strings from her backing orchestra and earlier Royksopp were happily chilling our with all those layered percussive riffs and LP surface noise samples happily riding atop each other.

I'll give the new amps a bit of a run in this system before I try them with a few other speaker sets - including the Anthony Gallo Reference 3's; which for anyone wanting a 'cross over' speaker between HiFi and Home Theatre are well worth investigating.

If you hanker after a 'centre channel less' Home Theatre set-up the ribbons in the Reference 3's may just be what you've been looking for.

Any questions please shout.

Best regards

Joe

PS And remember AV Forum members can take advantage of our Flying Mole Power Buy offers.

See http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143920&referrerid=11056

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I've been using a pair of Moles for the last few months, up until now they have been driving a couple of Gallo A'divas. Compared to on old Rotel 985MKII I found the moles to be cleaner, more detailed and more natural sounding, I'm very pleased with them. PMC are now using these amps with there lower end studio monitors as an alternative to Bryson. You can now buy DB1S+'s with built in Moles for less than a grand a pair.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Hello Jeff

The Flying Mole amps are quite a revelation - I'm looking forward to hooking them up to the Gallo's.

I'm hoping to have the PMC DB1S-A soon enough - with the soft dome tweeter from the more upmarket models and the inclusion of the Flying Mole amps these may find a fair few homes in systems we supply over the next year or so :)

If anyone wants PDF's on the Flying Mole or PMC ranges please shout.

Best regards

Joe

4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hey I like the sound of them Jeff... I've been looking for a set of active fronts with a horizontal centre channel but have been put off by the potential heat build up as they would have to be cabinet mounted...

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Hello Simon

The PMC passive DB1S+ is available with a 'Horizontal' centre channel - though I've not been able to confirm if the Active DB1S-A are available in both 'upright' and 'horizontal' configurations.

See http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/press/aes_mole.html

Best regards

Joe

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Actually I don't think they would work as the transmission line exits at the rear... :suicide:

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Simon, if you are crossing off at 80Hz or above the rear port might not be much of a problem, thats what I'm hopeing anyway. I should have a pair with me tomorrow, so I'll be able to try close to wall etc.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Hello Simon

I spoke to PMC earlier - no 'horizontal' DB1S-A in the immediate pipeline - though they assure me using a BD1S+ 'Horizontal' with a Flying Mole DAD-M100pro HT attached as per a convention amp/spk arrangement will integrate seamlessly with the 'active' units.

The DB1 wall bracket for use with these cabinets holds the rear of the cabinet 100mm off your wall surface and at that distance there are no problematic interactions between the Transmission Line (TL) port and the surface of the wall.

Best regards

Joe

PS Of course you could go for a set of AML-1 - which are front ported TL's; though a touch more expensive than the DB1 models :devil:

9. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting stuff. I'd love to get a some and make my Leema Xens (kind of) active. I think I'll wait a while though surely it won't be long before we can get this kind of kit very very cheaply?

10. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Hello,

I've had a pair of these amps for a few weeks and they really are incredible for the money, but there are a few tweaks to make them even better!

1.) Interconnects.

Do not think that because they are cheap, you can use cheap ancilliaries, these little blighters are very transparent, so use decent interconnects. I find both the Townshend DCT-100 and Chord Company Chameleon Silver Plus interconnects to be excellent with these amps.

2.) Power Cables.

throw away the standard cables and use some fully RFI/EMI shielded cables. I use Isotek Premium cables at £65 ea and find them to be superd, sharpening up the imaging, giving better bass extension and more control whilst increasing midrange transparency.

3.) Positioning

OK, these little amps can be velcro'd to the back of a speaker, but try placing them on some cones and you will hear a difference.

There is an upcoming review in Hi Fi News of these amps, I think it's the December or January issue.

Best wishes,

Dave