The Model kit thread. (for people who like to paint and build Airfix, Bandai etc)

£15 from the local model shop , can’t complain at that !!!!

and the tracks have locator pegs so I don’t need to melt them together 🤣🤣🤣
Isn’t those that you have to melt - push them through, melt the ends down to rivet the two ends together.

Or are these the newer type that you can glue together.

Cheers,

Nigel

Isn’t those that you have to melt - push them through, melt the ends down to rivet the two ends together.

Or are these the newer type that you can glue together.

Cheers,

Nigel

Talking to the shop owner , very nice bloke , he said superglue or melt but I’ve just pushed them together and they stayed fine 👍

Talking to the shop owner , very nice bloke , he said superglue or melt but I’ve just pushed them together and they stayed fine 👍
It’s when you come to stretch them to get them over the wheels and sprockets that they might come apart.

However, that depends on how you fit them - paint them first and then fit or fit and then paint.

Where the return track is covered by a fender and skirt it doesn’t matter that much - you can even just glue them to the tops of the wheels.

Tamiya made a bit of a goof with their recent Crusader (upgrade of an old Italeri kit). They made the tracks too short which caused a bit of an outcry for a new release £40 kit. But after the initial fury most settled down accepting that if you position the gap on top of the wheels no one will know it is there.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Wow for once I can't keep up with the thread. Magic !! Tonight I hope to drill the wings for rigging at a later point and get a black pre-shade down.

This kit is a ball breaker. Done fir the night.
20200626_234921.jpg

Wrong thread I know, but it'll work better in this thread

TIL that the camouflage on RAF aircraft was painted according to fixed patterns. So the brown and green that you see on Battle of Britain Hurricanes for example was the same on each aircraft (or certainly intended to be). There were, in fact, two patterns used for day fighters of both the RAF and the FAA (Fleet Air Arm - Royal Navy) - Pattern A and Pattern B. And even these were the same, Pattern B was simply the mirror image of Pattern A.

I'd always thought it was random.

Cheers,

Nigel

attention to detail on a large scale :rotfl: , to be honest I would have just thought they would have just thrown paint at them , everyday's a school day !!!!

attention to detail on a large scale :rotfl: , to be honest I would have just thought they would have just thrown paint at them , everyday's a school day !!!!

I imagine they had big paint masks at the factories. I suspect that as more and more repair work was done at the airfield facilities it would have been less precise but still following the general pattern.

Cheers,

Nigel

My high tech workstation 🤣🤣🤣

I like your little alien looking light, I also have those same tweezers and by flip they are sharp and pointy !!!

Thats some pre-shading done. Not sure if i should lay down a dark colour then mask all the rib lines. I hate masking. So boring.
20200627_190613.jpg

I've probably stuck the tweezers into my digits more than I have used them to pick up or hold small things.

that shop is usually a good shout for tools that aren't going to see a hard life , the only problem now is they queue round the block to get in ......

I can imagine.

Happy for the time being tbh to use online and cut down the risk.

Do you find pre-shading works? What colour are the wings going to be? Will be interested to see what effect it creates.

Cheers,

Nigel
Yea it does. The only problem is I am heavy handed and always over spray and hide most of it. You can see it on the wings in this pic....
105394437_10158268657542296_6641541182000581918_o.jpg

I noticed that little palette set that looks like make up today , cheaper than I thought at £7.99 ....
brand-dark.svg
About our ads

Yea the soot and oil one is super handy. Oh and they last forever. Worth picking up for sure.

20200627_235900.jpg

Last edited:
Tonights work done. This time i am building and rigging the landing gear before i attach them. Fingers crossed it makes it less painful than on the Roland.
20200627_235729.jpg
20200627_235736.jpg
20200628_000334.jpg

Tonights work done. This time i am building and rigging the landing gear before i attach them. Fingers crossed it makes it less painful than on the Roland.
View attachment 1325131View attachment 1325132View attachment 1325133

Can see the pre-shading working there very effective. When I have tried that method in past I couldn’t see any difference, probably a combination of too heavy a coat and that I mostly do military vehicles which tend to be dark greens and greys.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom