The Model kit thread. (for people who like to paint and build Airfix, Bandai etc)

grant666uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread for people who like to buy model kits that come in parts and have to be built and painted etc. This hobby has come on a long way since I was a child. Only got back into it about a year ago starting with some cheap Revell Star wars kits. Have moved on to Gundam kits from Japan.

Will post a few pics of what I have done so far.

Feel free to post your builds.

First kit I built after a break of around 30 years.
IMG_4237.JPG

Then moved onto a company from Japan called Bandai. Super detailed kits.
IMG_4339.JPG
IMG_4343.JPG

Had to get the classic X-wing too.
IMG_5281.JPG
IMG_5282.JPG

Tie fighter.
IMG_4556.JPG
IMG_4551.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG
IMG_6118.JPG

I have done a lot more kits in the last year and working on my biggest project yet right now. Will post some more pics later if there is any interest. Anyway here's the big boy that's in progress. Thanks for looking.

IMG_8212.JPG
IMG_8214.JPG
IMG_8216.JPG
IMG_8217.JPG

Is that an MPC kit? I used to have one and I hated the gaps along the front arms.

That last kit (the space hot dogs) :) is pretty damned impressive!

The first kit is the tiny Revell one. Was like £2.50. As for the hot dog (lol) He's not even half done, Still got a ton of weapons to strap on and a bloody big robot to attach to the front.

He's called the MG psycho Zaku Ver Ka.

Just Googled MG psycho Zaku Ver Ka. Bloody hell! You have some work ahead of you :)

I'm still working my way through an Airfix Space Shuttle. When I say 'still working' I mean it's sat in a plastic tub on top of a cupboard in the kitchen half done.

Just Googled MG psycho Zaku Ver Ka. Bloody hell! You have some work ahead of you :)

Thought it would be best to do it in the order of Backpack, Boosters, Weapons and last of all the Zaku. Kind of leaving the most fun part to last. Putting over 90 water slide decals on the booster tanks was not fun.

Do you hand paint those?

Mine are 90% airbrush. Just the odd bit of detail here and there done with brush. Also use special weathering powder that looks like girls makeup. Lol

Mine are 90% airbrush. Just the odd bit of detail here and there done with brush. Also use special weathering powder that looks like girls makeup. Lol
I just saw one of your posts in the lego thread about airbrushing..

Care to post up a pic of your airbrush kit and a link? I'd be interested in seeing what you use.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
This is the backlog. Buy my kits from japan, So cheap compared to UK prices.

IMG_8230.JPG

Not built for many a year and when I did it was a mix of diorama battle scenes (WWII and built from scratch) jet fighters, large subs like the USS Andrew Jackson, super bikes, WWII battle ships, WWII fighter planes and few commercial jets.

Will watch this thread as I've had the urge to start building again.

Not built for many a year and when I did it was a mix of diorama battle scenes (WWII and built from scratch) jet fighters, large subs like the USS Andrew Jackson, super bikes, WWII battle ships, WWII fighter planes and few commercial jets.

Will watch this thread as I've had the urge to start building again.

I was spending every night on the Xbox. Love it now. Really hooked. Can post a couple of vids. A build vid and my kits so far.

Nice thread, been 35 ish years since my last build. Seeing those pictures, I would love to get back into it but I do not have any room to display them :(. Loving the SW ones and very jealous.

My collection so far.

Build breakdown.

I was spending every night on the Xbox. Love it now. Really hooked. Can post a couple of vids. A build vid and my kits so far.

That would be great.

Too much going on right now but subscribed to this thread and feeling the urge to build again :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom