The Mitchells vs The Machines (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Great reviiew! By far the best 'Netflix original' I've seen in months, or perhaps even years. My expectations were low, accordingly, but this was an absolute hoot.

My only criticism is that it was a little long. For a film as visually 'busy' as this, I thought it needed fifteen minutes or so shaved off its running time. The 'action scene followed by two characters having a heart to heart. Rinse and repeat' narrative started to get a little repetitious.

Still, a minor bugbear. Overall a wonderfully witty, great looking film and a real breath of fresh air amongst the legion of stale turds dominating the streaming sites.

Last edited:
Yes I really enjoyed this as well - the silliness of the story is really well done. There are some great lines it re the current practices of tech companies - I must admit I quite like this low brow stuff in that I preferred this to Nomadland - george

Watched it last night, loved it, excellent use of different animation techniques and styles, some good humour one liners, the usual sloppy lesson to be learnt from these types of films.
To be honest I though it was one of the best animated films I’ve seen in a long while. I whole heartedly recommend it. Great fun and action. Up there with Pixar for sure.
It made me laugh at times and not many films can make me laugh these days.

9/10 from me.

Nice note about the tech vs. rock/stone preaching, I don't think I'd have clocked that without you pointing it out, it defo makes a nice change because there are plenty of well yes that is ridiculous moments to belly laugh over (the "please take a photo of my food") but also, ultimately, embracing tech is a (rather atypical) message here too.

So, we absolutely loved this. Defo think it made a difference having a daughter just the right age, as I was weeping like a fool during some of the scenes. I think it was a smidge long, which was maybe noticeable at the hour mark, but it's really a minor niggle and they absolutely brought it home at the end, and yes it's nowhere near as assured as Pixar when it comes to "Pixar moments", but goddamn, it still got me. Multiple times. (I'm basically going to play this to my daughter every year until she understands the sacrifice of selling my Ford Racing Puma when she was born :D)

Comfortably the best thing Netflix have ever made - for me - but, perhaps, as with Sound of Metal, I'm hitting increasingly personal connections which tip these features into a different, less objective ranking.

In other news, I can't tell whether they're geniuses or fools for coming up with these naming titles as that's two for two in terms of movies I nearly dismissed for ridiculous names.

Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse? Not for me, uh-uh. (Goes and watches it) 10/10

Mitchell and the Machines? Sorry, Mitchell's Machines? No, I mean Mitchell vs Machines. Right, got it, THE Mitchells versus THE Machines. Yeah, ok, ok, maybe I'll persuade the family to watch it one day. (Goes and watches it - son gives it another 100/10 - boy's got good taste).

Undoubtedly Disney would have called it the original Connected and got a lot more mileage out of that generic title.

loved it...The best representation of Furbys since Uncut Gems.

Watched it tonight and thought it was fun. I liked how it embraced the over-the-top stuff.

@Casimir Harlow important to remember, Netflix had nothing to do with this title creatively. They literally bought the right to stream on their platform. 😉

@Casimir Harlow important to remember, Netflix had nothing to do with this title creatively. They literally bought the right to stream on their platform. 😉
I’d have thought the score was a dead giveaway of that lol.

Will watch this today for Bank Holiday viewing TV will be slim pickings I’m sure.

I thought this was visually inventive, however I didn’t laugh once, not even a smile. I felt the same about last years Onward, yet I loved Soul.

I really really really didn’t like the kid brothers voice.

I know I’m an outlier here. I think it was probably just too zany for me

4/10

I’d have thought the score was a dead giveaway of that lol.

Will watch this today for Bank Holiday viewing TV will be slim pickings I’m sure.

Yup, I think I clocked it just about when I hit 'post reply', but I was too busy riding on the high of Netflix having a decent movie to celebrate. It's a shame really that it's too little, too late, as it's this kind of thing (albeit with a better title) which might have given them some legs.

Now sticking a "Netflix's" in front of it is arguably doing it no favours whatsoever.

Loved it. Very funny and the emotional stuff hit home as well. An absolute gem.

Tech info:

HD - DV - DA

Average video bit rate: 6.57 Mbps
Peak video bit rate: 9.47 Mbps
Audio: 768 Kbps (Atmos)

What a wonderful film. Had me laughing out loud and there was definitely a litle dust in the room a couple of times. Loved the art style, the music, the pop culture references, the chaos, the hope and optimism. Absolutely brilliant, an easy 9 for me.

Watched this last night, a great film with plenty of genuinely laugh out loud moments. It did lose a bit of momentum in the middle but picked up the pace towards the end.

I was really impressed by the way they mixed the animation styles used as well to tell the story, the main characters were cartoonish but rendered in a lot of detail, texture and lighting which jumped out to me for some reason, just very high quality animation from the studio.

I watched this with the kids yesterday. Great fun and good use of Atmos too!

We really liked it - a good family movie.

However the little brothers voice was distracting - bit narcissistic given it's the director/writer who doesn't appear to have any previous acting experience..

It’s actually much better, and has more “Pixar soul’ of the past in it, than latest Pixar creations.

Something i quite liked, but was subtle, the main character (Katie) was a lesbian. Disney are trying to do this in a low key way in their films as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom