The Mist - watch in colour or black and white?

WorldChampionsGoo

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
just got this on blu ray and noticed that you can watch the film in colour and also in black and white?

If you've seen these, what would be your recommendation and why?

Cheers guys ....

B&W is the "unofficial" directors cut, he mentions this in the prologue. Besides it doesn't look quite so cheesy in B&W, much more atmospheric.

B&W is the "unofficial" directors cut, he mentions this in the prologue. Besides it doesn't look quite so cheesy in B&W, much more atmospheric.

top man, thanks for that pal - up the Blues.

Anybody else got an opinion?

Have only seen it in B&W, and loved it.... Like a 50's B Movie, but with good acting. :D Have had no desire to watch it in colour, and that's after repeated viewing with friends & Family.

Have only seen it in B&W, and loved it.... Like a 50's B Movie, but with good acting. :D Have had no desire to watch it in colour, and that's after repeated viewing with friends & Family.

Cheers mate, will definitely only watch this once and was leaning towards the Black & White ..... so that's 2-0 to B&W anyone else?

Black and White definitely,as the director wanted you to see it!

I saw it before I had the chance to watch it B&W (and before I even knew a version existed) and now wished I'd seen it B&W originally.

So that makes it 3-0 :smashin:

The Mist is a terrific little monster movie. I've only seen it in B&W, and I also have no desire to see it in colour because the monochrome version is so atmospheric.

B & W everytime,great underated horror film.A complete surprise for me.

The Mist is a terrific little monster movie. I've only seen it in B&W, and I also have no desire to see it in colour because the monochrome version is so atmospheric.

B&W is killing it ....... any supporters of the colour version?

Haven't seen it in B&W, have only seen it in colour and would not want to watch it again.

Prolly wished I'd watched it in B&W now.

I still thoroughly enjoyed it (if that's the phrase I'm looking for) in colour, but just kind of wished my first experience of the film was in B&W, as some of the CGI is a bit ropey, and it doesn't stand out as much in B&W, plus the B&W adds to the tone and B Movie feel of the film.

Definitely one of the most memorable films I saw last year. It's rare for me to be able to talk about a film to my girlfriend without having to rehash the whole story, when we watched it and where we were, but whenever I mention The Mist, she remembers it immediately. Actually all this talking about it has made me want to watch it again. I might go and pop it on right now :smashin:

Another vote for don't watch it at all :rolleyes: Rubbish special effects :suicide:,poor acting and dialogue,not as bad as The Happening but then what is???

:D

I wish i had watched it in b&w because i thought the pq quality was pretty average in colour.

He missed 'B' by quite a few letters imo!:rotfl:

For those referring to the "poor CGI" in this movie, director Frank Darabont has mentioned in many interviews and I believe in the commentary that the CGI look was intentional, and in keeping with the B-movie feel he was going for.

It would of looked a lot better (A or B movie wise) with animatronics, clay models or even those dodgy power ranger robot costume thingys or the old godzilla costumes.

It would of looked a lot better (A or B movie wise) with animatronics, clay models or even those dodgy power ranger robot costume thingys or the old godzilla costumes.

I think horror fanboys are way too nostalgic for the latex monsters of past. I grew up as a horror fan in the 70s and and 80s. Some of the physical effects created by the best in the field were great, but in most low and medium budget films these latex creatures looked rubbish and they wouldn't cut it today. I read all the Internet hype of how Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer was great because it has old school latex monsters. When I finally saw the film it was terrible and the effects would have been laughed out of a Blackpool ghost train.

Ideally a combination of physical effects and CGI is the best solution, but that costs money. Apart from the tentacly thing in the garage the CGI monsters in The Mist were pretty good. I get the feeling people are actively looking for flaws rather than just enjoy the film.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I've just got this (watching tonight) and was on the verge of posting a thread just like this yesterday.

Although I ws leaning towards the B&W version anyway, its good to hear opinions of those who have seen it before.

Thanks for posting a thread that I didn't Abbeygoo :smashin: :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom