The Millionth 'what do I buy' question!

Stumpywhu

Hi all,
My apologies for asking, as I'm sure this is asked 20 times a day.

I know nothing about Media players and am just beginning to get to grips with my laptop.

I've been wanting to get 'a box' (not cardboard) for ages which can store all of my CDs so that I can access them more easily than hunting around the house. I'd like to be able to easily view a menu on-screen and select the CD or track I want and play through my receiver.
I think I'm ok with transferring from CD to Laptop to Media player, I've just got confused with the variety of equipment out there. It would be good to store my 3 year olds DVDs on there too - so they don't get scratched and the player doesn't get too battered in the process.

I'm looking at this - any pitfalls you can see?

1000GB 1TB External Media Centre Player Hard Drive HDMI on eBay (end time 14-May-11 14:44:16 BST)

Any help is much apprecaited.

next010

Distinguished Member
Try the WDTV Live Hub instead of those generic no name enclosures, they are based off a much older chipset. The Live hub will do everything you require and has much better media support & a superior GUI too, rip the DVD's using AnyDVD to .iso images.

Stumpywhu

Try the WDTV Live Hub instead of those generic no name enclosures, they are based off a much older chipset. The Live hub will do everything you require and has much better media support & a superior GUI too, rip the DVD's using AnyDVD to .iso images.

I greatly appreciate the help, but the WD price is double what the more basic drive costs. I realise the WD will do far more, but for my basic CD and DVD playing needs (I couldn't 'stream' anything if I tried) I hoped it would be enough?
Again, I'm grateful for the suggestion, but the price is important in relation to what I'll actually need it to do.

next010

Distinguished Member
Well all the real cheap stuff tends to be quite old and have horrific GUI's but if your okay with that then theres no reason not go with the enclosure you found.

Another option if you have a HDD spare the AC Ryan POHD is around the same price but comes with no HDD though you can install one internally.

Stumpywhu

Afriad the only HDD I have came from an old Sky+ box which I upgraded - so it's not really big enough.
Excuse the dumb question, but would the drive fit into this unit or is it external?

next010

Distinguished Member
Well you have better media support (the eBay unit only plays WMV/DivX/VOB) whereas AC Ryan supports a lot more.

Plus you have better firmware support and a better UI, whether that's worth the extra cost is up to you.

SGM

Standard Member

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
well you can always add your own disk to the HD2 its not too difficult if you have one around.

they're good little machines - a few people change the interface but the shipped one is more than adequate. I had a play with one browsing my media server and they're ok. Personally I'd always favour a HTPC but thats just me (I sell both but I like the flexibility of a HTPC). My wife would always opt for a streamer :) She liked the pch a-100 we had and even got on with apple-tv with xbmc. I'm sure if I stuck a HD2 or even mini 2 in front of her she'd be happy.

The HD2 comes with no drives of any size drive between 500gb and 2tb so you can decide what size (or budget) you require, e.g. the 1tb is less than £200

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom