The Merits Of 2 Consoles

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Nuggsy, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Nuggsy

Nuggsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I'm a PS3 gamer but am considering a 360 Elite. I'm not after a Sony bashing thread here but can people who own both machines enlighten me a little.
    1. Do you honestly have the time to get value for money from both consoles?
    2. Do you favour 1 over the other & if so which?
    3. Do you simply use your 2nd choice machine for exclusive titles? (e.g. Heavenly Sword/Halo 3)

Any positive comments welcome as I don't want to fork out the best part of £400 on a new machine, couple of games and XBox Live subscription to discover I only ever play Halo 3 or over time completely neglect the PS3 due to the XBox's earlier release dates on generic titles.

2. ScottW75

ScottW75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    1. My PS3 held on at the start due to being the best Blu Ray player available. Now there appears to be a couple of things on the horizion that interest me.

2. Favour the 360 way more due to the live setup. PS3 online isn't much better than the wii online system which is awful. Achievements are addictive as well.

3. Exclusives and Blu Ray.

3. D@Z

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I think its difficult to justify owning both unless you have more money than sense to be perfectly honest. I owned both and they are very similar but the 360 does just about everything that bit better than the PS3. I had my PS3 for around 4-6 weeks tops before I sold it and havent regretted it for a second since. I'd say if you are happy with the PS3 then stick with just that. If you havent used a 360 then you dont know what you are missing anyway so the PS3 will keep you happy. If you want absolutely the single best console available at the moment then flog the PS3 and get a 360. If you are minted and wont get upset about spending £400 on a PS3 that will get little use then keep the PS3 and add a 360 too.

4. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't justify to myself owning 2 consoles.

I have my 360 Elite and i love it. Best console for games and does all me media just how i want it. XBOX Live is a joy to have too.

On the other hand, i wouldn't mind a PS3 simply for Blu-Ray. I won't have time to play games on both consoles. I'm just not sure i can justify spending £400 on a player just for a few select movies considering i already have a HD-DVD Player.

5. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    i think what the guys here are saying is true, if money aint a problem go for it.

I own all 3 and wouldnt change that either, ive had the old RROD but certainly wouldnt say dont get a 360 cause of that.

PS3 has some great games at the moment, albiet not an extensive catalogue of great games though time will change this. Its a great machine, i like the features. Tversity has changed that for me too.

360 has great games and some fantastic games due soon, Halo3 and Mass Effect for me :thumbsup: Online at the moment is better from a friends gaming experience, this may andmay not change.

I tend to buy multi format games for 360 (well so far) mainly cause all my online friends have more 360's than PS3's. Exclusives you have no choice but owning all formats takes away that problem :clap:

The wii though you aint asked about this, has to feature for me. Great when friends are round, even my folks love it. It does tire when played on your own, that was until last week when i got Super Paper Mario :)

Owning all 3 may seem over indulgent for some, but thats my enjoyment and keeps me out of mischief :)

6. CP_Campbell

CP_Campbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good friend of mine was a big PS2 fan at the time of the Xbox launch...I bought one and one hour of Halo and he was hooked. He bought an Xbox and on any multi-platform games, he always got the Xbox version, cos it was almost always better. But he kept the PS2 for exclusives like Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy. This time around though, there is no clear winner in the performance stakes.

I think it boils down to your own preferences. If you're a regular game buyer, at least a dozen a year, you would benefit from having both consoles....that way, if one has a drought at any point ( *cough* PS3 *cough* ) you can rely on the other. But don't buy a 360 just yet unless you're really jonesing for Halo 3 or Bioshock.....the new chipset, Project Falcon, is due in the box in a matter of weeks and it's supposedly more reliable, cooler and quieter.

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    The other benefit of getting the Xbox360 is the assortment of great Xbox1 games you can play on the 360.

Myself I was a PS2 owner for years, since 2003 to be exact, and enjoyed it immensely.

However I then back in Xmas 2006 bought my first Xbox1 mainly for homebrew support.

However I found that the majority of PS2 games I enjoyed also came out for the Xbox1 with greatly improved graphics and almost all games for the Xbox have either 720p/480p support.

There is only a select few Ps2 games which even have the 480p support never mind 720p.

If you have an LCD or Plasma Hidef television this PQ jump makes a considerable difference to your enjoyment of the games.

8. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I bought a 360 at launch and imported a PS3 at launch i regret importing the PS3 if it wasnt imported i would of sold it by now

9. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I don't see how anyone with a full time job and other half has the time for more than one console, I barely have enough just for the 360, anything else would gather dust.

10. KirkSi

KirkSi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,910
    I've owned both for a while and for gaming definitely favor the 360 over the PS3. I love the PS3 for Blu-Ray and as it's a great upscaler it's become my main DVD player now as well. If a really great game comes out on the PS3, or a multi-format game gets much better reviews on the PS3 then I'll buy it, otherwise I'd get it on the 360.

My PS3 is pretty much whisper quiet while my 360 isn't and I'm not a big online gamer (only recently upgraded to Live Gold account) so why favor the 360? The answer for me is the controllers. I get on much better with the 360 controllers than the PS3. The positioning of the 2 analogue sticks is much better (so for FPS the 360 wins hands down) and it feels more substantial (PS3 controllers might feel better when they get the rumble sorted). At the moment the PS3 controllers just feel flimsy.

11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    I have had the 360 since launch and it is a great machine.
    I also bought the PS3 on launch along with R:FOM and motorstorm. I never lay the PS3, R:FOM is still in its wrapper and morotrstorm was OK for a bit but repetitive, I use the PS3 as a DVD player as it upscales well and plays blu-ray.

I have never had a playstation before and bought it due to the hype but a waste of money IMO. It is also rubbish online compared to the 360.

12. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    A tricky question really. In terms of having the time to exploit both machines to their full potential then no but in terms of having something there to play whenever any null moment arises then yes. But not so much both... see the next point.

Most definately and to the point that as of this morning I no longer own the PS3 at all, now having two 360's instead. Great many reasons for what must seem a most odd move to make but all told the decision was the correct one for me.

To be quite honest the PS3 mainly got used when playing with its Linux capability, some use for watching game trailers from PSN, and extremely rare usage for games. Of the four games I owned three were platform exclusives to the PS3 and none saw double figure playtimes.

If you have come from the PS3 to consider the 360 then your last point could be a real issue, the problem is the machines are too similarly capable in terms of functionality (media streaming, HD playback (additional purchase on 360 though), etc) and so coming to the PS3 from having the 360 first I found I was sticking with everything on the 360 and barely using the PS3 at all for anything. The 360 is far from perfect with a history of problem machines (not so long back had to get machine number three after another bout of RRoD) but we need to see if the Elites are anywhere near as prone... but even then I get a stupid amount of usage out of the 360's compared to that on the PS3 (it was a genuine concern that by the time the PS3 has software (non 360 alternative available) to make its use substantial then my console would probably be out of warranty). Perhaps it may be different coming from the PS3 to the 360 as you would probably stick to media capabilities on the PS3 and gaming mainly on the 360. Over time they may balance out more but right now the 360 is definately the machine to look for games wise, media wise it's pretty much an even break outside of blu-ray. If you are building up a blu-ray catalogue then you will be unlikely to face the prospect of making the PS3 redundant (I did consider that quite heavily but realised that all the HD media I have bought in the last 3-4 months had been HD-DVD anyway so less of an issue). Personally because the machines are so functionally similar currently I would advocate possibly looking towards the Wii as a second console rather than the 360 so there is no conflict of interest or concern about one making the other redundant, not to mention the cheaper price of the Wii.

It would be interesting to know your thoughts if you do proceed with the Elite somewhere down the line.

13. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    I've have all of the current consoles and they all have positives and negatives. If you were to ask me which is my favourite for games then I'd have to say the 360. They have more exclusives now and often the games that come out on all systems are still appearing first on the 360 (MOH Airborne, Tiger Woods 08 etc) but this will probably change by next year.

I do like my PS3, blu-ray plackback and upscaling dvds is great, and the odd exclusive on it (Motorstorm, Resistance) are good, but nothing spectacular. On the horizon I'm looking forward to Little Big Planet and Haze. Apart from that, nothing really stands out.

If you've got the money, and the time, then I'd definitely recommend a 360 and Xbox live.

14. Chris05

Chris05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Most of the big games will be available on both the 360 and PS3, the differences will be negligible so having two doesnt really make sense to me.

I prefer the 360 over the PS3 as the 360's Online Service is far better. You do pay for the privilege but it really outshines what the PS3 has to offer at present.

If really only see yourself playing the mainstream games then you only need one console.

15. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,365
    Im lucky to have the 360 and PS3. The reason I did this was a simple matter of choice. I want to be able to buy a game which I feel benefits from the strengths of the machine.
    One of my fav games which I cant do without is Pro Evo and the 360 controller is awful with this game (no I didnt buy a PS3 just for this game).
    I also want to be able to play or have the option to play the exclusive titles. If you have the money then get both. I never look back at how much something has cost me, when the money has gone, its gone.
    If you try and justify the cost then take a look around your house, how many people have tons of DVD's, do you watch them all the time...... no.
    I will go in the buy both camp.

16. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I have to disagree with that. Personally for me there will always be both first party and second party exclusive games on both consoles that I want to play. The only way to do that is to own both which I am perfectly happy to do. I also plan on buying any multiplatform games on the PS3 rather then the 360 as the latter is far too unreliable for me to build up a large games collection. The only 360 games I will but are those that are exclusive to it like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Lost Oddysee etc.

17. Nuggsy

Nuggsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Thanks for the input guys you've helped me come to a decision.

I am going to wait and see just how good Halo 3 is before I take the plunge (not too long to wait now). IF it is indeed a system seller (I didn't think much to Halo 2 hence my 'IF') then I will go for an Elite with Gears Of War & Halo 3 & use it as an 'exclusives' & trailers/demo machine.
    The main reasons for using the PS3 for generic titles are 1. My mates all have PS3 only so I enjoy the online experience with them. 2 As Moogle has pointed out reliability. 3. Sony's claim as to the longevity of the console itself.

So I'm hoping for a few stellar Halo 3 reviews & I'll be seeing you all online. If not I reckon it'll be an iPod touch!!!

Nuggsy

18. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Could you expand on that? Have Sony made a comment about the longevity of the 360, or the PS3?

19. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I think they said something abuot the ps3 being around for ten years.

20. redmarkred

redmarkred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    My 360 has been flawless for 2 years! However my PS3 broke after 6 weeks. Work that one out :rolleyes:

21. Nuggsy

Nuggsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Yeah Sony have been quoted stating the PS3 'could' have a lifespan of up to 10 years.
    My thoughts are that with Blu Ray the lifespan of the PS3 could be longer as storage becomes an issue on DVD. I can't see Microsoft developing games on 'next gen media' until they release a completely new console else I would've expected the Elite to come with an integrated drive over and above DVD.

I could of course be completely wrong & 360 owners may be forced to upgrade to a next gen media device in time as people with PC's had to with the arrival of games on DVD over CD.

22. silvercue

silvercue
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,670
    I think it is a question of time. If you work there is not likely to be enough time to get full money's worth out of two very similar consoles, not in my world anyway.

If you had a 360 and a wii, or a ps3 and a wii at least you have a different slant there. PS3 and 360 are very similar really.

I have a 360 and a PC for gaming, but might get a wii when Super MArio Kart comes out. But I doubt I will use the wii for much.

23. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    I dedicate probably more of my free time than most to gaming yet I still think I don't have enough time to fully appreciate all the good games on a single machine, let alone two!!

24. Blackbolt360

Blackbolt360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    Theres not enough interest for me in a PS3 yet. The only thing that has me even slightly interested is Metal Gear Solid 4, but we'll see as the price of the PS3 is just stupid at the moment, regardless if it comes with blue ray or not.

25. mminghella

mminghella
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have all 3 consoles and, as I have already said on previous threads, the 360 & PS3 get a lot of use, but the Wii only comes out during family get-togethers.

If the PS3 had gamerstats/achievements and online features like XBL, then I would be considering getting shut of my 360. However, vive la difference!

Both the 360 and PS3 do sterling jobs and I suppose I will be tempted to get cross-platform games on the 360 due to the achievements. However, the exception is the next GTA as it feels "at home" on a Playstation

As someone else said, the Blu-Ray playback is phenomenal on the PS3

26. SkilledNutter

SkilledNutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I own both systems, with the PS3 only getting exclusive content use and blu-ray time. 90% of my gaming is Xbox360 and I did not even own an Original Xbox I have always bought Sony Consoles Prior to the 360.

If you really enjoy gaming then having both systems and enjoying both content line ups is a BIG must.

Both systems will have quality software during their life cycles.

27. gurka

gurka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Had a 360 (it broke 4 times, got the final replacement back, sold it) got a PS3, am still loving it but miss x-live, will wait for Elite's (Noise) to be fixed then maybe will consider again.

28. Jamesie M

Jamesie M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I got my PS3 whilst I had the 360 returned to MS and needed a DVD player and was having withdrawl symptoms.

PS3
    Pros- Bluray and upscaling are great. Home should be good when it comes out.
    Cons- poor library, new games lag behind 360 on release dates,bad online capability, rubbish controllers.

Pros- Brilliant on LIVE, great catalogue, far far better games
    Cons- Noise, not quite as slick GUI as the PS3, they break quite a bit (part of the charm!)

If you want a gaming machine with decent games, bored of the slow PS3 catalogue, will play online, then go for it, get a 360. It won't add anything to the multimedia capability of the PS3 but it more than makes up for it with the Live ability.

PS Since getting my 360 back 7 weeks ago from MS, I haven't played any games on the PS3!

29. formula400

formula400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    right at the moment the 360 is doing nothing.
    i am playing ninja gaiden,
    next week this will stop and ill be playing halo 3.

yes its a lot of money buy hay once you have them your sorted.

30. wellladida

wellladida

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    i see what you mean coming from a personal view but think about the ring of death which made xbox add another 2 years to their own guarantee and refund about $1 billion (cant remember exactly but i think it was about that) to people with the 3 red lights.