• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The Mentalist series link

raydawson

I've come across a funny trying to create a series link on The Mentalist using my Digital Stream box.

It produces three scheduled recordings of the same episode on three different occasions. The only difference, apart from the channels, is the episode number.

18th June 2200 Five 3/10
20th June 1900 Five USA 5/10
23rd June 2100 Five USA 8/10

My Topfield 5810 - using MyStuff - only schedulesthe one recording for the 18th so must be reading the series link data differently.

How do other boxes cope with a series link on this particular programme? If they all misbehave like the Digital Stream I won't bother to report it to DS support.

Cheers,

Ray D

daveh48

I had the same problem on the Philips box before I returned it. I think it's more to do with the series link data on "Five's" channels than the boxes.

GaryB

Distinguished Member
Five frequently send incorrect Series Link Data. On the very rare occasion that I record something from Five, I now set the PVR only for single programmes, otherwise I end up with 4 or 5 copies of the same programme. Five/Fiver/Five USA seem to be the only channels that don't get it right.

Futaura

I suppose it depends whether the Digital Stream actually carries out all 3 of those recordings as they're all the same episode. The two Five USA ones are repeats of the initial showing on Five - episode numbers all showing as 18/23 here. It may have just been listing them all until it recorded the first one, after which it wouldn't have recorded the repeats (unless maybe you delete the recording before the repeats are shown).

In the past Five certainly have been flakey when it comes to EPG data, but recently they've been much better for me. Had a series link on CSI and CSI:NY on Five which have just finished, it my Vestel box recorded all with no repeats. Likewise for the Mentalist so far. My box recorded the episode on Friday, and has indicated it will not be recording the repeats which means the EPG data is correct.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom