1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Matrix Uncut on Channel 5

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Indiana Jones, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,382
    Noticed this was on tonight and started watching it about 30mins in and when it got to the bathroom scene with Agent Smith and Morpheus I said to myself "this is where it is cut" but to my suprise it showed Morpheus headbutting the Agent 3 or 4 times.
    Then about 5 mins ago it got to the scene with Neo and Agent Smith in the train station and this was also uncut and showed both headbutt scenes.

I known that the last time the Matrix was shown on Channel 5 it was fullscreen and cut and tonight it is widescreen and uncut, could this mean that the Ultimate Matrix Collection released in December will also feature an Uncut version of the film or is this a one off?

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    I seem to remember it being shown in W/S before and I’m pretty sure I saw something like headbutts.

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,382
    Well the only time I have seen it on Channel 5 it was fullscreen and was defently cut, thought it was interesting how it was cut at the cinema and on DVD but Channel 5 get to show an Uncut version.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    What's shown on TV and what's released on video are in no way related. TV broadcasts are not subject to any mandatory censorship by the BBFC. Typically, though, TV stations will operate their own discretion on content and will often be guided by BBFC decisions on other media. But they aren't obliged to do so.

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    why would it have been cut anyway? its a 15 headbutts are allowed in 15 cert films although they should have cut ALL of the last two films for crimes against cinema! :laugh:

Gary

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If it filled the widescreen TV it was cut in size but not time

Lose edges or lose headbut!

7. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    They often seem to cut headbutts (or similar).

I saw T2 3 times at the cinema when it came out, and when it was released on good ol' VHS they had cut a couple of scenes involving peoples heads making contact with walls (in the hospital) and pillars (in the carpark).

Strangely these scenes have since been reiinstated along with a few others.

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,382
    I assumed that because it was cut in the cinema and on video, the version on TV would be the same cut with no headbutts.

9. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    It doesn't necessarily follow like that. Although I can't speak for The Matix (I have the uncut R1 version anyway) I do know that C4 has broadcast THE ABYSS complete with the (censored on video and cinema) rat-breathing-liquid piece. And the point is, they aren't doing anything illegal. They are quite at liberty to broadcast whatever they want to, bound only by their own judgement.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Umm, actually, that's not correct at all, Nigel! :lesson:

ITV, Channel 4 and Five are all bound by Ofcom Regulations (formerly the ITC) about what they could or could not show. Technically, they should only show BBFC-approved versions, where possible. However, more often than not, TV companies don't check to see if the exact version they get sent (often from big film companies in the US, e.g. Paramount, Fox, et al) are the same as British cinema/video prints, or US versions. Hence, you often see extra footage that was previously censored in the UK, appearing on TV versions.

With the BBC, whilst they aren't bound by Ofcom (or the ITC), they have gotten into a lot of trouble for showing "18" certificate titles, at 9pm, even in edited versions.

"American Beauty" was recently shown on BBC2 at 9:05pm on a Saturday night, and people complained about the strong language to Ofcom. However, Ofcom said that thankfully the BBC were okay on this occasion to play the film uncut, because of the clear warning, the fact that the film was shown on BBC2, and because the worst language went out after 10pm, and was only heard on one occasion.

However, "Magnolia" was shown on BBC2 last year, and they got a total :censored: for it, from the ITC, because of the ultra-explicit language, and the fact they aired it on a Saturday night at 9pm!

So, all-things-said-and-done, TV stations can't simply show what they want! They may air uncut versions, but they can still be reprimanded for doing so. As a sidenote, "The Abyss" is always shown edited now on British terrestrial TV. Channel 4 did air it once, uncut, the very first time it was shown, but got a £2000 fine for airing unsuitable and "banned" material. Hence, it's now always the same BBFC-approved, cut version that gets aired.

Pooch
    (A fountain of censorship knowledge! ;) )

11. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    OK I'll take your word for it. Things have evidently changed since I last investigated the position.

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,382
    I sent an email to the BBFC asking whether they had recieved the new DVD release of The Matrix as it has new commentary tracks not on the last release and I would have thought Warner would have to re-submit it because of the new commentary tracks and this is the reply I got...

Like Warner would listen to an email from a fan lol

13. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I always worry about people who know all the intracacies of censorship law:

are they making quite sure they follow the guidelines or are they looking for loopholes to break them? :D

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Nobber,

Technically, I fit into neither of your two categories! :laugh: I just know a lot about this subject.

Pooch

15. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109