1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Matrix soundtrack mix

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dazed&confused, Apr 24, 2005.

1. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    When Neo first meets the Oracle in The Matrix there is some jazz music playing in the background, which comes from the surround speakers.

I have a Yamaha DSP-AX750SE amplifier and S1500 dvd player, with Castle Compact speakers. In order to here the music in this scene I have to turn up my surround speakers way way too high relative to the fronts and center (surrounds +10 db and fronts -5db).

I'm wondering whether there is a weakness in my kit or if the weakness is in the mix of the dvd itself.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Ok I have just listened to chapter 22 and the jaz is totally unheard unless I stick my ears agaisnt the speakers. I dont think your really meant to hear the jazz that much or it would have been loader. For my kit read my sig.

3. dazed&confused

dazed&confused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the reply.

But I suspect there is a difference between "totally unheard" and what the manufacturers of the disk actually intentended, which I would have thought would have been quiet background ambience.

My guess is that either the disk has a poor mix (the reason I hope for) or otherwise (the more dissappointing reason) that the music is mostly within the mid-range of frequencies that "budget" kit such as mine (well, quite expensive actually) isn't that competent to deal with.

I wonder if there are any forum readers who have kit that this music is quite audible on?

4. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m gone let in on a little secret.

Chapter 22
    I have just checked this out as well and the jazz is on the fronts and the split-surrounds as well, there are lots of ways to make it very audible, one use the pre-outputs on the AVR’s and get some audio limiter / compressors, and amplifiers too…

Then balance the sound so this works on all films this takes skill to get it right, also Active electronic crossovers and equalizers, then you can play The Matrix with a better sound, I really like this film it’s got a whole lot action and a kick slam rumble and huge depth’s of low end that eats amplifier power for breakfast.

Any way if you buy any of the following read the manual first…

but hay…

….It’s only a movie…

Alfred Hitchcock.