The Matrix Resurrections 4K Dolby Vision Blu-ray Review & Comments

4 Matrix films now and still only 1 worth watching.

Im assuming the mention of 5.1 atmos in the audio part is a mistake and should have been 7.1 atmos, correct?

That said, the film should have never been made, its a travesty. The ridiculous "force bubble" Neo does is just embarrassing.
The video and audio is demo worthy though, but the film is so bad, i am not sure how often one would spin the disc up, when we have a release like Dune to demo instead.
It is indeed an error - the soundtrack is a full bodied 7.1.4 affair that down mixes into 7.1 if you don’t have overhead capability. It will be amended shortly. Thanks and apologies.

For me the only the machine civil war was the only good part of the movie and it was over in seconds. Could have made an entire movie out of that instead of this beautiful train wreck we got.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd managed to forget I'd seen this but your review just brought it back like acid reflux. Thanks 👍

Big fan of the franchise, watched this last night almost with a feeling of dread.

I was right to dread it.

Storyline had more holes than my socks, acting was shocking. Cinematography was ok, but honestly you would expect that.

Just felt like they dragged a few of the side plot characters out to pad it.

5 is generous!

Perhaps due to the poor reviews I didn't expect much and thus was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it overall. Yes, the fight scenes aren't up to those in the original movies but to tell the truth I've been getting increasingly bored with fight scenes anyway especially ones which go on for too long and overstay their welcome. The burly brawl in The Matrix Reloaded for one.

Overall a 6.5 to 7 for me for the movie and top marks for the UHD picture quality and audio. I'll be giving it a rewatch fairly soon.

The original Matrix trailer built up a heightened anticipation of something ground breaking and epic. Sitting almost alone in the then brand new cinema at Bluewater, I was blown away with the story, the visuals and sound. Boy Oh boy was that an experience. This continues to be for me easily head and shoulders of any cinematic experience of any movie watched at a cinema. It went on to be the defining film for trying out potential home cinema gear purchases.

2 and 3 lost the plot somewhat but still watchable. This fourth go at getting the leaders of the band back together had so much potential, but from the review and comments, I’ll wait to see it on terrestrial. What a flippin’ shame.

The original Matrix trailer built up a heightened anticipation of something ground breaking and epic. Sitting almost alone in the then brand new cinema at Bluewater, I was blown away with the story, the visuals and sound. Boy Oh boy was that an experience. This continues to be for me easily head and shoulders of any cinematic experience of any movie watched at a cinema. It went on to be the defining film for trying out potential home cinema gear purchases.

2 and 3 lost the plot somewhat but still watchable. This fourth go at getting the leaders of the band back together had so much potential, but from the review and comments, I’ll wait to see it on terrestrial. What a flippin’ shame.

Probably my best experience in the cinema from the 90s (and there were many amazing o). I’d say it was a Star Wars moment (from when it was originally released in 77) for those who didn’t see the latter the big screen as a first watch.

Perhaps due to the poor reviews I didn't expect much and thus was pleasantly surprised to enjoy it overall. Yes, the fight scenes aren't up to those in the original movies but to tell the truth I've been getting increasingly bored with fight scenes anyway especially ones which go on for too long and overstay their welcome. The burly brawl in The Matrix Reloaded for one.

Overall a 6.5 to 7 for me for the movie and top marks for the UHD picture quality and audio. I'll be giving it a rewatch fairly soon.

Me too, I quite enjoyed it. I'm not going to pretend it's a work of misunderstood genius, but it's not the worst sequel/remake/reboot either. Honestly I enjoyed this more than Ghostbusters Afterlife that everyone seemed to love. That said, while I accept the first one is by far the best, I really like the two sequels too.

I liked the 'meta' aspects of the plot and will admit to succumbing to nostalgia seeing Neo and Trinity together again, but I will accept that the action scenes were serviceable at best. I think I just liked finding out what happened next in that world, given that the end of the trilogy still left things quite open ended. Yes, about a 7 for the movie for me.

I will probably pick this up on disc, if only for the AV quality, but not at full price, a perfect 2 for 20 disc to add later.

Definite purchase for me.
Love all three originals, such a great trilogy.
About a 7 for this one for me, but a really interesting film. Obviously definitely not what anyone expected at all, and when can you say that about a major film these days?
There is definitely a lot of intent from the director in this film, towards the media, Warner and HBO.
You could tell that from the superb teaser poster, red pill or blue pill, cinema or streaming service? Brilliant.

Worth it as a demo disc. It's 'free' as part of the boxset from Amazon Italy.

Finally watched this after all the bad reviews, and I enjoyed it. Sure, it can't touch the first film, the editing is choppy and some of the effects are a bit iffy, but I thought this film had some interesting ideas in it, even if none of them are properly explored. I would love to see a TV series set in this universe. 7/10.

Me too, I quite enjoyed it. I'm not going to pretend it's a work of misunderstood genius, but it's not the worst sequel/remake/reboot either. Honestly I enjoyed this more than Ghostbusters Afterlife that everyone seemed to love. That said, while I accept the first one is by far the best, I really like the two sequels too.

I liked the 'meta' aspects of the plot and will admit to succumbing to nostalgia seeing Neo and Trinity together again, but I will accept that the action scenes were serviceable at best. I think I just liked finding out what happened next in that world, given that the end of the trilogy still left things quite open ended. Yes, about a 7 for the movie for me.

I will probably pick this up on disc, if only for the AV quality, but not at full price, a perfect 2 for 20 disc to add later.
I thought Ghostbusters Afterlife was rubbish very average.

I just finished watching The Matrix Resurrections. Here's a quick Q&A:

1. Was it as bad as people make out?
No.
2. Was it the worst Matrix movie?
No.
3. Was it good?
No.

No further questions please.

No.
No.
3. Was it good?
No.

No further questions please.
Curious to know how you rank the films?

Said I’d never order this But got the collection from amazon.it for just under £20. So I’ll sell my trilogy to offset cost and have this for one for nothing.

Intrigued to see the quality and maybe I will like it more a second time

3. Was it good?

Just watched Everything Everywhere All at Once, and it not only sh@t on this it also used this to wipe its arse and flushed it away. And cost nearly 8 times less to make but was 100 times better in every way.

Watched this last night....real struggle to stay awake. Really liked the first 3, although 1 is an absolute classic...this however was poor. No iconic action scenes and the fighting from Neo was crap.

Absolutely amazing looking disc though, the picture quality was something else.

Thanks for the review. Glad I've seen it now.

Late to the Game. We watched the 4K disc version last night. Visual Clarity was stunning, but strangely our rear speakers (We have a Teufel 5.1.2 System) seemed to not be on - to the point that I popped another Movie on straight after to make sure something bad hadn't happened to the Denon or the speakers.
We marked it down as a Dystopian Boy meets Girl, Boy loses Girl, Girl gets Boy back in the Last Act Movie set in the Matrix.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom