The Matrix:Reloaded Review now posted

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
MatrixReloadedR1.jpg

Thanks to Movietyme who are shipping this disc now, we take an early look at The Matrix:Reloaded

Catch the review by clicking here

movietyme_logolrge.jpg

Got mine yesterday and had a quick look at it last night. I checked out some of the action scenes to see what they look and sound like on the PJ. Piccie quality is excellent (first impression) and the CGI / Bluescreen work doesn't look as obvious on the big screen as it does on my 28inch widescreen telly. I agree with THX1138 in that the sound was quite low and therefore didn't blow me away as I expected (at the volume I normally listen to DVDs). I was expecting great things from the sound and although it was very good, my first impression didn't knock me off my feet like otehr soundtracks. Still I'll turn it up when I get a chance and see what difference that makes.

Now to watch the whole film again and see how it stacks up from the first time I saw it (i.e. will it make more sense this time round as I can hit rewind whan I get confused!!!)

regular readers will know that i dont really like this film, so last night i watched it again. i found that i enjoyed it more second time around. but the reason i enjoyed it more was because i could skip past the unnessary parts (esp in the first half hour or so) i also think that the script could have been written better, as it can be very dense. also some of the action scenes could have been shorterned (esp the neo vs 100's of agent smiths)

In conclusion they could have made a fantastic film if they had tightened it up and explained things a little better.

Gary

Originally posted by Garyd
In conclusion they could have made a fantastic film if they had tightened it up and explained things a little better.

Gary
Part of the problem with this is that although there are missing bits on the story, they are kind of filled in by Animatrix and the computer game.

Personally I think it was wrong of them to do this, as (IIRC) Reloaded came out before Animatrix.

Still, if you watch it, a few more bits will make sense.

i watched the Animatrix a couple of months ago and found it more interesting than reloaded. and i agree it does fill in alot of the holes.

has anyone watched the "preload" doc on disc 2? i had to turn it off after 10 mins as i couldn't stand the Bulls*it that Carrie Anne-Moss was spouting, i think if you pause it at the right moment you can start to see her disappearing up her own back passage!

Gary

One word sums it up - disappointing. The matrix was revolutionary this is just mumbo jumbo dialogue with CGI on the whole. Even Wilber Jr thought it was poor and The Matrix is his no 1 movie.

Definately a case of style over substance with this film, I loved the way they just interrupted the whole flow of the film time and again just to have another fight set piece :rolleyes:
As nice as they were to look at, it was just so frustraiting :nono:

As most of the above have stated... Disappointing.

Regards,
Iain.

Animatrix taken as a whole far outstrips Matrix reloaded IMHO

I thought the film was 'good', the pq was immense and the sound was goodish, BUT WHY O WHY is it not decoded in dolby digital EX?! or dts, i find this very frustrating. I agree that it is very quiet but after all this it does sound very good at times.
It was patchy as well, some fight scenes ruined the flow of the film, but then again how many recent films even compare to this, the action scenes were exciting and gripping-we are 2 darned spoilt nowadays!
Regards,
Fred

Originally posted by fred123go
BUT WHY O WHY is it not decoded in dolby digital EX?! or dts, i find this very frustrating.

No biggie, you have Logic 7 which is better than EX anyway, and dts? Well I won't go there;)

I liked the film veyr much but the extras are rubbish. I am glad they didn't put it all one disc, but it is obvious that they left stuff out to put on a special editon later on.

I also haven't seen any Warner DVD with DTS.

When I first saw it a the cinema, I thought it was good, but now after repeated viewings it does make a lot more sense and grows on you.

I enjoyed the movie more than the first time as there is no way the sense of disappointment and boredom could be replicated!

But the picture quality on dvd was awful with far too much green on the matrix sequences and just an overall dull feel to the visuals which made me feel like adjusting the settings on my projector.

And the CGI looked laughably bad with the pointless Agent Smith fight looking like a below-par PS2 game and the freeway chase being a poor Burnout 2 remake.

It really highlights how visually stunning Star Wars Eps 1 & 2 look as their CGI survive the translation to dvd intact.

I also found the sound to be very flat, especially compared to the excellent steering of effects in the original film.

Interesting suggestion in THX's review about switching OFF the THX processing if your amp is so equipped; I would like to know why he thinks that will improve the sound?

I still think Monica Belluci was the best thing in the film, closely followed by her "husband"!

hi,
turning off the THX processing does not improve the sound in some dvds, whereas if used on a film such as the two towers it will improve the sound. This is because THX processing cuts off treble and makes 'bright' films, such as the two towers, more bearable to listen to and generally makes it a better experience
The Matrix on the other hand is not a very bright film at all, the volume levels are very low compared to most films, i played it comfortably at reference level, and so THX processing would make it even less exciting.
Cheers
Hope this is all correct, anyone?
Fred

That's about right fred, THX processing generally dampens the top end slightly, and when playing movies @ close to Dolby reference level, engaging THX can just soften the high end and make it less wearing on the ears.

Many people only engage THX processing when playing material very loud, and prefer it without when playing movies @ more reasonable levels.

I watched the DVD yesterday and thought the sound and picture was stunning. The pic quality was much better than my R1 Matrix and that was excellent when it came out. It shows how much better encoding has got.

I didn't think the CGI was bad in the cinema and also thought the CGI was fine on the DVD. I hardly noticed it as I was paying attention to the film.

The CGI in the star wars films was much more noticeable.

It reminded me of a musical

Instead of dancing it had fighting

Unfortunately it had the dancing aswell...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well I really enjoyed it at the cinema and watched it at home last night with my son, who's 4. I had to laugh out loud when, in the middle of the Agent Smith fight, he says "dad, why doesn't he just fly away?"

Exaclty!

Still an enjoyable enough movie though, if not as good as the first. Hopefully Revolutions will tidy it all up.

Watched the PAL rental last night.

I enjoyed the picture and sound more than the first viewing at my local THX-certified auditorium and the viewing at the IMAX.

Although I probably should point out I forgot to take my glasses to the IMAX one, but the screen was so big and detailed, it didn't seem to matter much!

regards,
Rob.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom