The Matrix - 10th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Cas Harlow, 27th May 2009
The Matrix was a milestone in movie-making, cutting-edge in terms of effects and action, and perhaps even scope (although it borrowed heavily from the Wachowski’s earlier Dark City, making The Matrix feel a little like what Michael Mann’s Heat was in comparison to his original LA Takedown). With outstanding action performances from all those involved, some breathtaking set-pieces that still have amazing re-watch value, a thumping score and an engaging plot, were it not for the lacklustre, pretentious and ultimately anticlimactic sequels this would have perhaps held its significance for longer. Still, now finally available on Blu-ray in its stand-alone form, perhaps viewers can more happily add this to their collection without having to consider whether or not to pick up the others in a box set. With near-perfect video and audio, as well as pretty-much all the extras you could ever want this is surely the definitive edition to pick up. Highly recommended for a rightful place in everyone’s collection.
Read the full review...

Cool review,and high praise too,1 point off being a perfect score.:cool:

how much better is this blu ray version compared to the version in the blue ray trilogy??

Do you know if or when this will be released on UK Blu-Ray (Region B)?

Thanks,

Red1

Do you know if or when this will be released on UK Blu-Ray (Region B)?

Thanks,

Red1

Doesn't, as yet, appear to be any listings for a UK release; however, this release is Region free, so no need to worry

Simon

It obviously borrowed so heavily that I assumed it was related. But the review was changed a few days ago to hopefully correct that.

Glad you liked it tho, cheers.

As the above poster also mentions, is this release any different from the film bundled in the trilogy boxset? I'm mostly interested in picture and audio terms... Any changes/improvements?

As far as I am aware this is exactly the same as the one included in the boxset but since I don't have the boxset I can't make a direct comparison. I think they just pulled the disc, transfer and audio, and all the relevant extras, from the earlier released boxset.

Thanks, Cas

As far as I am aware this is exactly the same as the one included in the boxset but since I don't have the boxset I can't make a direct comparison. I think they just pulled the disc, transfer and audio, and all the relevant extras, from the earlier released boxset.

Thanks, Cas

Thanks for the quick response Cas, loved the review.:thumbsup:

I too bought the boxset, and had fingers crossed that the disc is the same version as 10th Anniversary Edition, even more so when I read the review.

Now all I need is some time to watch it. :)

StooMonster

Did anyone establish if it's the same version in the boxset or not?

A great review Cas. Do you know how this compares to the HD-DVD release? I've read the HD-DVD review (done by Seth) and it seems to have a very similar level of praise to your review of this BD version. Seth does give PQ & SQ a 9 though (as opposed to your 10's) but it's always hard to compare when different reviewers have reviewed different discs.

Last edited:
A great review Cas. Do you know how this compares to the HD-DVD release? I've read the HD-DVD review (done by Seth) and it seems to have a very similar level of praise to your review of this BD version. Seth does give PQ & SQ a 9 though (as opposed to your 10's) but it's always hard to compare when different reviewers have reviewed different discs.

Why would it be any different though?

Why would it be any different though?

It could be a different transfer from the master. The bit rate may be higher, the audio could be different (although I doubt it as they both have the True HD soundtrack).

Just a similar query to the one above regarding the different Blu Ray versions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom