The Martian Chronicles

Timh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone remember this Mini TV series starring Rock Hudson?
I have good memories of this being a rather strange sci-fi show shown quite late in the evening if I remember correctly.
Lots of strange dream sequency's. Alittle like Earth 2.
Can anyone tell me if it is ever shown on the sci-fi channel?

Quote from IMDB

Earth sends its first manned probe to Mars in 1999, and a jealous Martian murders the two astronauts when his wife has erotic dreams of meeting them. Members of a subsequent expedition are hypnotized into believing that they have landed in the childhood community of their leader and have been reunited with deceased family and friends, and they are poisoned by the Martians. Col. John Wilder leads a third expedition and learns that a chicken pox virus brought to Mars by the first two expeditions has almost eradicated the Martian population. A member of Wilder's team becomes obsessed with protecting Mars from Earthman and murders some of the others in Wilder's party, before Wilder kills him. Colonists arrive on Mars to settle, among them priests seeking God, and a lone Martian masquerades as the most desired persons of various settlers. Global war on Earth reduces man's natal planet to radioactive waste, and most of the settlers returned there prior to the holocaust. Wilder struggles to assemble the remaining humans on Mars, who cope with their loneliness in different ways and will not leave their piece of Mars, before Wilder meets a Martian of past or future who tells him the secret of simple Martian life and convinces him to abandon the Earth lifestyle.

I can remember it Timh. One of the poisoned astronauts was Nicholas Hammond TV’s Spider-man. I think Darren McGavin was a space cowboy.
In the very last seen Rock Hudson says to his child do you want to see a Martian he then goes to show the child’s reflection in a pool. Some of the story was quite good in other part it went a little over the top and was silly.

In the very last seen Rock Hudson says to his child do you want to see a Martian he then goes to show the child’s reflection in a pool.
:eek: Can't remember that!

I do remember the Sand Ships.
And wasn't the Music quite differant for its time.
Cany you remember when it was last on TV.

That’s was suppose to be scene.
I remember the sand ships.
Some of the music was good as I remember but I cannot remember it being quite different for its time.
The last time it was on terrestrial TV was probable at least 10 years ago; I seem to think it has been on satellite more recently.

I have vague memories of this too. The image of the 'chameleon' alien as Christ and pleading with the humans that his reality was being forcibly altered by their desires. Oh and the sand ships gliding about - bit like The Man Who Fell To Earth stylie.
The whole thing seemed pretty odd at the time, though I was young, with all the mind travel and metaphysics.
It'd be interesting to see it again, although it would no doubt seem like a pile of horse pucky now - lest of course a viewer was altered for the experience.

Based on Ray Bradburys "The Silver Locusts" . Actually a pretty faithful adaptation.

I really like the bit with the guy on the gyro-copter who thinks he's the last person left on mars then he hears a phone ringing runs to answer it and the person at the other end ( a woman) apologises for the wrong number and hangs up him.

This one played on sci-fi channel at some point in the last 5 or 6 years. They actually had it in quite heavy rotation (as they do) for a few months. It's not been on since, though, which is a shame.

Don't forget the guns that shot bees, unlike the Simpsons where you had the dog that shot bees from its mouth......

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom