1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute - NEW ALBUM

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Floodedstatue, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Many of you may own 'De-Loused In The Comatorium', the first installment from former At The Drive-In members Omar Rodriguez and Cedric Bixler. Well, released 21st February 2005 is the new album from these guys 'Frances The Mute'. I managed to get a copy sent over from Japan, where it was released 2 weeks early.

The tracks are split up strangely. There are 5 scenes (as such), split up into 18 parts (some labelled A,B,C,D), but the actual tracks on the album are 1-12. Strange....

The music is a great development on the first album. For me, this is what rock music is all about: progressive and forward-thinking. There are harks back to yester-year - the end of the first track reminds me of Pink Floyd's 'Run Like Hell' and the Zeppelin-esque guitar solo in lead single 'The Widow' is just superb. But this is progressive stuff, it has a narrative (although it is quite hard to work out), there are passages of mentallness as with the first album, but unlike the first album it is not all full-in-your-face all the time. There are passages of strange noises and weird guitar friggery. And at 77 minutes in length, you're getting real value for money.

What can I say? I dont work for the band, I'm not a salesman for Universal music, i just think The Mars Volta (like Tool and a few others) are part of a rare group of artists pushing the boundaries and endeavouring to make music that makes you sit up and say 'wow'.

If you're sick of the same old s**t, give it a try. It will blow your mind :smashin:

Attached Files:

2. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hiya matey
    thanks for posting your inital thoughts. :thumbsup: i'm really really looking forward to picking this up. got De-Loused In The Comatorium and its probably my favourite album :cool: ...i've only got a week to wait!
    off to see them beginning of march too :smashin:
    thanks again
    regards
    monsieurblack

3. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I saw the Mars Volta supporting the chili peppers in Munich couple of years ago. They were awful! THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM!! Is the recorded stuff pretty good as I'd like to give them the benefit of doubt?

Regards

4. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have to confess I've never seen them live, but I've been on a few forums recently and everyone who has seen them really raves about the live shows. The new album I got from Japan has a bonus DVD with some live stuff, and it is all really good. Maybe you saw them when they were starting off and hadn't quite established a live aura??

The albums...yes, both superb. Extremely inventive, exciting rock music, well produced, and artwork by Mr Storm Thorgerson. Pretty much beats the s**t out of anything else that's out there at the moment :devil:

5. Marwhite

Marwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer this album to the first.

6. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    sweet :smashin:
    that really is music to my ears, considering de-loused... is probably about my fave album :cool:
    Floodedstatue: is there any word on the dvd version shipping on these shores? as i'd love to have some performances on dvd. if not can you recommend a good place to buy from please? :)
    regards
    monsieurblack

7. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    monsieurblack - at present I believe Japan is the only place the CD+DVD is available. I've had a quick flick of the UK and US music shops and none of them seem to list it. What Universal will probably (cheekily) do is what they did with De-Loused. It was released on single CD format for a long time, and eventually they released a double-cd version in Australia only. They will probably release the single CD until the hype dies down, and then release the new version with the DVD, possibly worldwide. This happens alot nowadays.

I bought mine from a friend in Japan. It was about £22 inc delivery, but I was prepared to pay this as I was getting it 2 weeks early. I noticed on amazon.co.uk that someone in Japan is selling the Special Edition with the DVD for about £20 so you may want to check that out.

Just to wet your appetite, it contains 3 live tracks from De-Loused. It also (rather oddly) contains an audio track called 'Frances The Mute' (the name of the new album). They obviously didn't think it fitted into the flow of the album, but it is another very good song.

Happy hunting and feel free to ask any more questions if required :cool:

oh, and BTW, I've listened to FTM quite alot in the past week and I'm really enjoying it. Time will tell whether i like it more than De-Loused, but to be honest they are both brilliant :smashin:

8. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I was really disappointed with De-Loused..., was a big At The Drive-In fan and loved most of what they produced but Mars Volta never really hit the spot. Hopefully this new album will change that... we'll have to see. Might dig out De-Loused for another listen though... maybe Sparta too.

Did manage to see them live a couple of years back; loads of energy just like ATDI had.

9. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    top banana
    you're a true gent, thanks for taking the time to reply, and i'll be sure to take you up on your offer should i think of anything else :p. i hear what you're saying about the re-releases studios seem happy to do of late :rolleyes: can't see me buying it twice tho or holding off getting it for that matter, so i'll try and hunt down the cd+dvd version asap, cheers for the amazon heads up. as i say, de-loused is about my top album so i have high hopes for this...i'm sure it will 'compliment' it rather than competing to 'better' it... so i guess de-loused... will have to share its spot on my shelf :D
    thanks again
    regards
    monsieurblack

10. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,262
    there i was sat at comp noticed this cd cover mars volta never heard of them cover and art looked kool,banged it in drive headphones on,jesus christ blew my mind awsome stuff,not heard anything refreshing as this for years,ok here's the put off for all you kids out there im 40 years old and the disc belongs to my 15 year old daughter.kool eh.

11. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    cool indeed :cool: :smashin:
    glad you like it :)
    i've just returned from their gig in birmingham tonight :thumbsup:
    blew my mind again
    top stuff
    regards
    monsieurblack

12. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Good grief, this album is good, I haven't taken it out of the car stereo for 2-3 weeks, everything else seems empty and devoid of substance.

Favourite tracks are :-
    the widow - a nice bluesy Led Zeppelinesque ditty,
    4 - can't remember what it's called, but it sounds like Miles Davis mugging a Radiohead directed funeral procession with a saucerful of secrets playing in the background. :confused:
    and the final 30+ min suite (tracks 5 - 12) track 5 simply motors along and track 7 has menace I've not heared since Tool's third eye.

:clap: