• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The Market - what is it?

Gary D

Distinguished Member
***This thread is not for discussion of Apps. It a bit of a heads up to anyone who doesn't know what the market is or how it works. It will be teaching some people to suck eggs, but hey, we all start somewhere.***

I just read a post asking about "purchasing" apps from the Market. I was replying then i thought "i bet other people would like to read this too" So i'm putting somewhere where more new "Dark Side" dwellers can read it :)

The Market is run and administered by Google.

The Market is Googles "App Store" for Android. There are free apps and paid apps. If you want to pay for an app then you need to link the Google account you activated the phone with to "Google Checkout". Log into your google account on a pc and seach "Google Checkout" - follow the links and input your CC info on the account page. Its like registering iTunes for the iPhone. Vendors do not see your account info, Only Google. I trust them with the rest of my online life so i'm no more concerned about giving it to Google than i am Apple.

When you purchase an app it use the Google Checkout info linked with your account. Buying apps is really easy - just as easy as the iPhone, and because its multitasking you can download and browse at the same time. No jumping out of The Market to the springboard to watch an app download. And it does multi apps at once :smashin:

You can download free apps without registering with "Google Checkout"

Whenever you download an App you get sent a receipt - if you need to contact the vendor or Google via this link https://checkout.google.com/support/bin/request.py?ctx=cm

If you purchase an App and you dont like it within 24 hours of purchase you can go into Markwt - downloads on your phone and hit the refund button. No more buying rubbish and having to live with it.

Register with Appbrain.com. Appbrain is an online version of the Market. Its very useful for syncing your app info so should you need to reinstall you can do it through AppBrain. Use your Google acount info, Download the appbrain app form the Market (free). You can now sync your apps with Appbrain. :thumbsup:

The Market is a little poorly organised so its best to use one of the websites i posted here to search the Market. http://www.avforums.com/forums/android-software/1272331-useful-android-resources.html

Other than that is all pretty sweet.

G

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Being new to Android this helped me greatly. Anymore questions and I will post in here

Thanks

Matt Horne

A question.. what happens to paid apps if you buy a new phone (or your current one gets broken etc).

Is it the linked Google account which manages what you own - or is there another way in which paid apps are managed with the devices ?

Gary D

Distinguished Member
Apps have nothing to do with the phone.

Apps are linked to your Google account (the one your registered the phone with) JUst input your details, open the market ap and go to downloads - your list will be there :thumbsup:

G

_Sion

The above is true for paid apps bought through the market, but not necessarily true for apps bought elsewhere.

As an example Gameloft were selling apps from their website, these were only valid for a one time install on a single device. If you bought a new phone or reset your phone you would have to re-purchase the game

Gary D

Distinguished Member
The above is true for paid apps bought through the market, but not necessarily true for apps bought elsewhere.

As an example Gameloft were selling apps from their website, these were only valid for a one time install on a single device. If you bought a new phone or reset your phone you would have to re-purchase the game

Thanks for the info.

I knew you could buy from outside the Market but i didn't know it was a once only deal. I won't buy anything that not from the Market, I also think it a mistake of Google to allow it to happen in the first

G

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom