The Many Saints of Newark Movie Review & Comments

socom23

It was awful. Such a shame.

Nostromo71

I watched it last night, and while I enjoyed it, it was too big of a story, with too many players to be told over two hours, and really should have been a miniseries. The cast did a great job of emulating the mannerisms of their characters from the TV show, but I did feel that Silvio was bordering on parody at times. Although, perhaps that's because Silvio is almost a wise guy caricature in the show? 🤷‍♂️

7/10

Clark1983

I loved the story of dicky - but it needed another hour to flesh out young Tony. The references were brilliant and some great call backs to classic scenes or stories that Tony and crew referenced. The casting was mostly spot on (Silvio went too far but technically Silvio was a parody characater).

it feels like a ‘let’s see how it does...’ type of movie. If they did a new series - it would be epic to see the rise of Tony. 7/10

FergieB

i thought this was very bad with a tv film look. It was sold as a young Tony film but as members here have already noted, Tony was fairly irrelevant to the story.

The story itself didn’t make much sense to me as it didn’t really seem to be going anywhere. The film is also severely hampered by the lack of star quality of the fella playing Dickie in my view. I really struggled to get through it in two attempts.

I’m not really a fan of the series though so this might be a factor!

Good review Cas.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Just couldn't get into it at all. Felt more like a generic mob piece than the Sopranos. Too much time getting to know/introduce other characters when watching Tony would have been infinitely more interesting, as Galdofini did impress in the role (the bit with the schoolteacher was a good example of this).

The one thing the Sopranos did really well was to get into the head of Tony (and other characters like Christopher) and that simply didn't happen with Dickie Moltisanti. Couple of good shock moments aside (garage and beach) - just a bit of a miss.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Ah the trusty Cas 6 :D

Cheers for that though, I have to admit I'm a bit apprehensive myself. I really didn't see this as necessary, and reactions have been somewhat lukewarm all over.

I guess for completion I'll have to watch it, but happy to wait till it appears on one of the streamers.

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
Watched this a few weeks ago and I was bored to tears….5/10

Over hyped and under delivered. I love the series and I've watched it at least ten times, but this was hot garbage unfortunately.😒

Last edited:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas a bit disappointed that this is average with the sopranos being one of my fav shows of all time. I will still watch it though

I'm going to a live Q n A with talking sopranos podcast next year with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa, and Vincent Pastori and maybe a meet and great after. They have a greet podcast on YouTube called talking sopranos were they go through every episode and have all the relevant people on its great

Check it out for those that havent

Tim2049

Thanks for the review Cas a bit disappointed that this is average with the sopranos being one of my fav shows of all time. I will still watch it though

I'm going to a live Q n A with talking sopranos podcast next year with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa, and Vincent Pastori and maybe a meet and great after. They have a greet podcast on YouTube called talking sopranos were they go through every episode and have all the relevant people on its great

Check it out for those that havent

Cool to see that podcast getting a mention here. I've watched it every week since it started last year and, to be honest, I'm glad it's coming to an end. It's been a good show, but it annoys the piss out of me too for numerous reasons. Main one being, the two of them aren't at all critical. Every single episode is 'really great'. Every single actor is 'really great'. Plus, they're always selling stuff...& hearing the two of them promoting erection pills is a little...well, undignified...(!)

I'm still envious.you'll be seeing them live though. Although don't be surprised if the two of them pass a bucket around the audience asking for any small change...

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Cool to see that podcast getting a mention here. I've watched it every week since it started last year and, to be honest, I'm glad it's coming to an end. It's been a good show, but it annoys the piss out of me too for numerous reasons. Main one being, the two of them aren't at all critical. Every single episode is 'really great'. Every single actor is 'really great'. Plus, they're always selling stuff...& hearing the two of them promoting erection pills is a little...well, undignified...(!)

I'm still envious.you'll be seeing them live though. Although don't be surprised if the two of them pass a bucket around the audience asking for any small change...
Thanks for the review of talking sopranos...clearly you need whacking. Prepare to spend some time...sleeping with fishes, or maybe death by erection pills :rotfl::laugh::D

Nostromo71

Why did they have to go woke?
I think the days of Director‘s having some balls are over.
What exactly is 'woke' about it?

kav

Distinguished Member
I liked the introduction of the black characters. There was context for that story in the time period, and the storyline itself acted as a major element of suspense leading up to the conclusion, so it had purpose. If that story didn’t exist in parallel to the mafia storyline, it would have been fairly one-note.

Also it’s based on reality. Bumpy Johnson and latterly Frank Lucas were serious forces competing with the mob back then. Godfather of Harlem and American Gangster showcase the fact that organised crime wasn’t purely the purview of white Italians in this period.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
I liked the introduction of the black characters. There was context for that story in the time period, and the storyline itself acted as a major element of suspense leading up to the conclusion, so it had purpose. If that story didn’t exist in parallel to the mafia storyline, it would have been fairly one-note.

Also it’s based on reality. Bumpy Johnson and latterly Frank Lucas were serious forces competing with the mob back then. Godfather of Harlem and American Gangster showcase the fact that organised crime wasn’t purely the purview of white Italians in this period.
I don't have so much of a problem with that part of the story TBH - at least it added something new and I understood Harold's motivations, even as lightly sketched as they were.

Probably should have been a mini-series - then they could have developed the ideas more.

gooner26

No one has a problem with black characters just don’t create a story line so it fits in with the current woke agenda.

socom23

This
No one has a problem with black characters just don’t create a story line so it fits in with the current woke agenda.
So much this, couldn't agree more.

A "6" is a generous score for this mess.

richp007

Distinguished Member

You can't be serious. I've not even seen the film yet, but can recognise from what I do know of it as to why there'd be black characters involved in the story.

It might come as a bit of a shock to you this, but not all cinema adheres to the "woke agenda".

And most definitely not Chase and The Sopranos.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

McIntosh unveils flagship MCD12000 CD/SACD player
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonos announces new Ray soundbar
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony set to launch WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
VIDEO: Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event