The many Faults of the Iphone 4 Listed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meridius

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have done a lot of research and wanted to help other about what faults there are on the iPhone 4. The fact is that i still want one but not until the faults listed are fixed.

I hope this fault list helps as apple need to address these before i buy one as i am hoping its a software fix and not a hardware problem as we may never get the problems fixed and may have to wait for the iphone5.

I know all devices have there faults but when it makes an iPhone unusable as a phone its not on. I hope this list helps you in deciding what to do.

Faults

Problem 1, Losing Reception

In case the Apple support forums are your first stop on your search for why your signal is dropping when you hold your phone, Steve Jobs and Apple consider it a "non issue" and to "avoid holding in that way".

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases."

Video link

YouTube - iPhone 4 Drops Calls when Left Corner is Touched

Apples support link to problem

Apple - Support - Discussions - Signal issues? You're holding the ...

other links

MacRumors Poll: iPhone 4 Signal Loss by Region - Mac Rumors

Problem 2, Speakerphone and Proximity sensor Problems

Having an issue with the Proximity Sensor not properly detecting when i'm holding my phone to my ear. I can confirm that the iPhone sensor is working by covering it with my finger, but when held to my face, the screen blinks as if it cannot decide to disable the screen or enable it. It results on me hanging up, putting calls on mute, and dialing numbers accidentally while i'm on the phone. This occurs on 90% of my calls. Is anyone else experiencing this issue. I would like to confirm whether this is a software issue (Proximity Sensor sensitivity too low) or a design issue (sensor now placed towards the end of the phone).

Video link

YouTube - iphone 4 problems with proximity sensor.mov

Apple - Support - Discussions - Issue with Proximity Sensor during calls ...

Problem 3, Yellow strip or blotch on screen.

Like many others, I thought the yellow band on the bottom of my screen was fading over the three days I've had it. Doesn't seem to be the case. It seems to me that as the phone cools down, the yellow fades to an almost imperceptible blemish. But then when I use the phone for any sustained duration, the yellow shows up bright and clear again.

there are alot of reports that the yelow blobs are not fading at all after time.

Video link

YouTube - iPhone 4 Yellow Spot & Losing Reception Bars Holding It

Other link

Poll: is your iPhone 4 retina display seeing yellow spots? (update: losing bars in the hand?) -- Engadget

Apple - Support - Discussions - Yellow strip or blotch fade? ...

Problem 4, iPhone 4 periodically won't wake up

Since I activated my new phone last night, it will periodically not wake up from being locked. When I try to wake the phone up from sleep mode, I hit the home button/lock button and nothing happens. Only a hard reset seems to fix the issue, and only temporarily; it happens again 30 minutes to an hour later.

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone 4 periodically won't wake up ...

Problem 5, Iphone 4s have a flicker problem

I have seen 5 iPhone 4 demo phones and 3 user phones and all have a flicker Has anyone else noticed a slight flicker when scrolling from the 2nd apps page back to the Home screen? It flickers and it's very distracting at times and I've a feeling it's not meant to happen. Didn't happen on my 3GS.

Apple - Support - Discussions - All Iphone 4s have a flicker problem on ...

these are the 5 problems that need to be fixed before i buy but i hope this helsp you decide to wait or buy or even a reminder of what problems need to be fixed.

cheers

Last edited:
There isn't a flicker problem, already discussed in this thread:
Flicker Problem on AVForums

and my answer to it was
"The only reason were getting that sort of "flicker" is because the page sort of goes a tiny bit into the left screen which is the spotlight page....therefore it thinks the page is away to get dark...but no it doesn't as it's pinged back to the normal first page (this only happens in like a millisecond)

If you sort of slide to the left a bit from the first page to the spotlight search you will see the screen sort of goes dark, let it go and it brightens up again"

theres actually a 6th problem which is the camera not working. - many many people experiencing this.

no doubt 95% of these faults will be sorted with a software fix.

maybe problem 4 and 5 can be fixed but we all hope problem 1, 2, 3, can be fixed with software as i think this might be a hardware problems but time will tell.

its the top3 that is worrieing me the most

There isn't a flicker problem, already discussed in this thread:
Flicker Problem on AVForums

and my answer to it was
"The only reason were getting that sort of "flicker" is because the page sort of goes a tiny bit into the left screen which is the spotlight page....therefore it thinks the page is away to get dark...but no it doesn't as it's pinged back to the normal first page (this only happens in like a millisecond)

If you sort of slide to the left a bit from the first page to the spotlight search you will see the screen sort of goes dark, let it go and it brightens up again"

its a small problem not a hugh one i agree but my 3gs does not do it so why should the iphone 4 if all iphones did this then ok but they dont only the iphone 4

at the end of the day software/hardware, we are covered by applecare so the problems will get sorted one way or another. I dont mind getting my phone swapped for a new iphone 4 in a couple of weeks.

the thing is mate if its hardware problem and not software they will never fix it untill the iphone 5 as it will cost apple billions. so you would have to put up with it or get a different phone.

they need to sack there whole testing team if you ask me

I must be one of the lucky ones I've had no problems with mine at all!

its a small problem not a hugh one i agree but my 3gs does not do it so why should the iphone 4 if all iphones did this then ok but they dont only the iphone 4

Really?

Unless this is sorted you are not going to get the phone?

Really?

the thing is mate if its hardware problem and not software they will never fix it untill the iphone 5 as it will cost apple billions. so you would have to put up with it or get a different phone.

they need to sack there whole testing team if you ask me

in theory yeah, but because the problem is not on every single phone, it would suggest that its just multiple bad batches which have been sent out.

To be fair i've experienced the signal drop, proximity problems and crashing camera on my iphone 3gs.(running the dev version of ios4)

I've also had my 3gs swapped 7 times in all and ill be doing the same with the iphone 4 until I get one that im 100% happy with.

I'm tired of apple and service providers saying "its a new phone, its bound to have teething problems" - its a £500 premium product and you're right should be tested to the absolute maximum.

Really?

Unless this is sorted you are not going to get the phone?

Really?

i did not say that i will get the phone if problems 1,2 and 3 are sorted. I ahve my name down for the next batch in july i could of had 2 on thursday release day but i backed out when i seen these problems online

but i thought it would help people to lock down what the few major problems are on this phone so we can keep track to see if these get fixed later on

Last edited:
at the end of the day software/hardware, we are covered by applecare so the problems will get sorted one way or another. I dont mind getting my phone swapped for a new iphone 4 in a couple of weeks.

I assume you have taken the Applecare extra warranty that covers you for 2 years?

I assume you have taken the Applecare extra warranty that covers you for 2 years?

no not this time, Its clearly a manufacturing fault , so its covered under Uk and EU sales of goods act that states the item must be fit for the purpose it was built for 6 years.

I rung them up the first day and documented my faults and problems and was given a case reference number. Will just use that when i want it swapping :)

no not this time, Its clearly a manufacturing fault , so its covered under Uk and EU sales of goods act that states the item must be fit for the purpose it was built for 6 years.

I rung them up the first day and documented my faults and problems and was given a case reference number. Will just use that when i want it swapping :)

That's a bloody good idea. Never knew this.

I must be one of the lucky ones I've had no problems with mine at all!

Me too. I think the phone is excellent and have absolutely none of the issues mentioned above.

I am not trying to gloat, just hoping to give others hope that if it isn't all phones with problems then it's more likely a bad batch and a replacement will be swiftly sourced

Originally Posted by Meridius
just got this link and was well funny

hitler's take on the iphone 4

Hitler. iPhone 4 Antenna. You Know The Drill

Funniest thing this morning..:rotfl:...

That's a bloody good idea. Never knew this.

yeah its worth knowing the ins and outs of stuff like that. Its about persistence really. Any electrical goods over a certain value are deemed to last 6 years. The fact this is a documented problem on day one proves its manufacturing fault, so we are pretty much covered. Which is why you'll find apple wont put up any resistance with swapping and repairing stuff.

I've got a dead pixel/lump of dust under the glass as well, stuff like that drives me mad. which is the main reason I want the phone swapping lol

Me too. I think the phone is excellent and have absolutely none of the issues mentioned above.

I am not trying to gloat, just hoping to give others hope that if it isn't all phones with problems then it's more likely a bad batch and a replacement will be swiftly sourced

I agree the phone is awesome, but at the moment due to the faults im probably rating 6/10. It would easily be a 9 though when this is all sorted.

Ahhh the trusty sales of goods act

Helped me get my LG tv refunded when it developed a green mark under the screen, LG would have had to replace the whole tv and decided to either give me a replacement or refund...I chose the refund and got a Toshiba 37" 100hz 1080p

never looked back as the Tosh is super amazing

Don't always count on the sale of goods act to work miracles but it is there to help us bi-standards in the fight against pretend shop rule and regulations :)

Ahhh the trusty sales of goods act

Helped me get my LG tv refunded when it developed a green mark under the screen, LG would have had to replace the whole tv and decided to either give me a replacement or refund...I chose the refund and got a Toshiba 37" 100hz 1080p

never looked back as the Tosh is super amazing

Don't always count on the sale of goods act to work miracles but it is there to help us bi-standards in the fight against pretend shop rule and regulations :)

yeah absolutely. it can work wonders. I've had xbox's replaced, imac's replaced etc. Companies obviously put up resistance but if they're in the wrong theres little they can do.

Apple service is fantastic. But not everyone lives near an Apple store so they can book a genius appointment and just pop in. And not everyone is willing to post away their phone and use a backup (if they have one) in the meantime.

All products have problems. I really do believe that the iPhone has no more or no less problems than any other phone. It's simply been accentuated because it's Apple and it's the iPhone.

But great service is not a replacement for having a phone that works as it should IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom