The Mandalorian Season 2 (Disney Plus) TV Show Review & Comments

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Going to give my two cents before the 'off topic' alarm goes:

As always I find myself smack in the middle between two opposing camps. In one corner, there are the "serves her right, fire the bitch, shes racist etc" SJW lobby. In the other, there are the "shes a hero, **** Lucasfilm, cancel Disney plus" anti-SJW brigade.

Should she be fired for her views? No.
Should she be fired for repeatedly expressing those views with impunity and damaging the reputation of her employers? Yes. Absolutely yes.

She was silly and arrogant to put her principles ahead of her career, and it's cost her. But I don't wish her ill will. I hope she moves on to something that suits her better, and learns from her experience.

If learning and forgiveness aren't on the table, then what is 'social justice' actually about?

Is she anti-semitic? No. And if you read carefully, she wasn't directly comparing Republicans to Jews. She was pointing out (clumsily) the dangers of society encouraging hatred towards a problematic group, and where it can lead.

Is she transphobic? No. She made an irreverent riposte to the idea that she should have to use pronouns in her bio. And the 'pronoun' lobby don't necessarily speak for the men and women that actually transition.

Is she racist? God no. Just watch her interactions with Carl Weathers. She adores the man. I'm aware of the folly of the 'black friend' argument, but come on. Racist she is clearly not.

Is she a bonkers anti-masker/ election fraud nut? Yeah, seems like she is. And for that she has my pity. But I suspect a large number of Republicans feel that way. They are naturally pro-freedom and have a hair-trigger sensitivity to the idea of election fraud. Does holding those views mean she should be put in the dustbin of society forever? I don't think so. Maybe she just needs to do a bit more research and who knows, perhaps her thinking will evolve over time.

This is what people mean by 'cancel culture'. Her being fired isn't cancellation. Its the idea that she is poison and should be destroyed, never to be heard from again, when maybe there is a salvageable person there with things to offer. The hatred she has gotten online from the 'tolerant' left (Ive read some of it) has been obscenely vile. They don't stand for it when its directed at someone they like. So it shouldn't stand here. She's physically talented, and a woman of principle. And she comes over nice in interviews. Maybe she shouldn't be written off just yet.

All that said, I sure as hell won't be cancelling my Disney+ subscription.

Back to Star Wars, there are rumblings that the fan divide caused by The Last Jedi (that was just starting to scab over with the Mandalorian finale) has suddenly re-opened wider than ever. As a lifelong star wars fan, I find this really quite depressing. Especially as there is so much to look forward to.
Terrific post. And a fitting final word.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I imagine Disney have one of the toughest morality-clauses in the business. They certainly limit what 'types' of other productions you can be in while under contract with Disney. There is probably a while section on Twitter which basically reads - if in doubt, don't.

scrowe

All that said, I sure as hell won't be cancelling my Disney+ subscription.

I actually did, to send a one-time message. But in reality I just cancelled my US subscription, and will be signing up next week for the UK/Star offer, for 1 year before the price increase. Originally felt Disney had the right to hire and fire who they want, but now it appears that they haven’t conducted themselves at all professionally, I contrived to send a tiny futile pinprick their way.

scrowe

The only person who cancelled Gina was Gina. There's really no other nutshell to find.
I think there’s more gone on here now than we know. Leans a bit into the conspiracy/unconfirmed rumour track, but interesting nonetheless ...

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Ultimately, she'll be fine but it remains to see how much further down the rabbit hole she goes.

The Mandalorian will also be fine. She's by no means a core part of the cast, the story will naturally move on, as will most of the viewers. Rangers of the New Republic will get some new blood to head it up, maybe introduced in Mando series 3.

And Disney + will also be very, very, VERY fine, according to recent figures.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I think there’s more gone on here now than we know. Leans a bit into the conspiracy/unconfirmed rumour track, but interesting nonetheless ...

Yep but much of that is about Disney making a botch job of the handling.

I'm also not seeing any reference to her time on Parler and the QAnon crap she was meant to be sharing. I guess there's (oddly) no record of this, or for some reason it's not being brought up. Maybe it would make it worse for Disney.

Either way, it all seems to have gotten out of hand and descended into the usual cancel culture pit of despair. Which really is a pit of despair these days.

For the record I didn't know that about Weathers and Stallone and Rocky :)

Coulson

Distinguished Member

As I said before two opposing things can be true. She kept digging holes for herself and she should stay off social media. But they were waiting for an opportunity to get rid of her, and by they I don't mean Favreu or Filoni. As Johnathan Chait, a writer for the New Yorker put it:

“In the late 1940s and 1950s, Hollywood studios — under pressure from the right — promised they would not ‘knowingly employ a communist.’ This blacklist eventually became notorious, especially in Hollywood, which came to lionize its victims in several films. And yet it is becoming increasingly difficult to distinguish the blacklist policy from the emerging current treatment of right-wingers,”

He's not the first to say this and it is exactly what Carano was talking about. Just to be clear (because this is the Internet) no I don't support Trump, or the right. But that no longer seems to matter. It's not enough be "against" facism or even extreme right wing politics. Now you have to be "for" whatever this is.

Last edited:

scrowe

And Disney + will also be very, very, VERY fine, according to recent figures.
No they won’t because I cancelled them for a whole week. Consider them well and truly destroyed.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
No they won’t because I cancelled them for a whole week. Consider them well and truly destroyed.
Disney are not fine. Not because of Gina Carano by herself. But Disney have been haemorrhaging money. The theme parks are closed including hotels, the yacht trips are closed, cinemas are closed. That's 3 of their main revenue streams and they still have to pay staff or at least the ones the haven't already let go. So the last thing they need is more divisive publicity.

The Mandalorian is the one bright spark in the Star Wars universe so they need it to work. So loosing one of the most popular characters in such controversial circumstances is the last thing they would have wanted or needed. Especially just before an earnings call. That's why this is more than likely a Lucasfilm faction leak rather than an official Disney firing. Very similar to what Lucasfilm did when they leaked Harvey Winestein's ex PA was going to write a new Star Wars story for them.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Disney are not fine. Not because of Gina Carano by herself. But Disney have been haemorrhaging money. The theme parks are closed including hotels, the yacht trips are closed, cinemas are closed. That's 3 of their main revenue streams and they still have to pay staff or at least the ones the haven't already let go. So the last thing they need is more divisive publicity.

The Mandalorian is the one bright spark in the Star Wars universe so they need it to work. So loosing one of the most popular characters in such controversial circumstances is the last thing they would have wanted or needed. Especially just before an earnings call. That's why this is more than likely a Lucasfilm faction leak rather than an official Disney firing. Very similar to what Lucasfilm did when they leaked Harvey Winestein's ex PA was going to write a new Star Wars story for them.
I specifically said Disney Plus. They're doing very well.

Mando will happily survive this. Rangers is a different question, but there are many irons in the fire now. Have high hopes for The Acolyte.

Coulson

Distinguished Member

Drax1

Distinguished Member

A recast? Then may I suggest the lovely Carla Gugino...

1613521694490.png

Coulson

Distinguished Member
There was a time, long ago. In a galaxy far far away. George Lucas appointed Kathleen Kennedy to head Lucasfilms and Star Wars fans rejoiced.

But here we are today KK YouTube Oscars Post

encaser

There was a time, long ago. In a galaxy far far away. George Lucas appointed Kathleen Kennedy to head Lucasfilms and Star Wars fans rejoiced.

But here we are today KK YouTube Oscars Post
Hahah. They've taken out the Likes/Dislikes due to 99% latter!
KK living up to her rep' of trans(careful)parency when it favours her, or get fired and find out from another source.

Coulson

Distinguished Member

encaser

I'm starting to reconsider if I'd care if Carano had stayed. I've watched, and still do,, plenty of actors that I less than agree with but am able to park it.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
She’s trying to spin out her moment in the spotlight with this interview, which is understandable, but sooner or later this will all calm down. Particularly when they release a teaser for either Boba or Andor.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Desperate article on Disney that one, especially when conflating the KK dislike ratio (a whole subculture thing in itself and not an accurate marker of anything).
What do you think happened to the KK Oscars video? Check out the recent comments on many recent Star Wars related articles and videos. They have been linked by the fans.
She’s trying to spin out her moment in the spotlight with this interview, which is understandable, but sooner or later this will all calm down.
Yeah I read about this. I'm not sure this is a good idea.
..., but sooner or later this will all calm down. Particularly when they release a teaser for either Boba or Andor.
Not sure about this yet. It might depend on the reaction to her interview. Shapiro is an automatic turn off for many on the left so it looks like she has chosen her hill.

BTW very few are interested in Andor lol, but that might change.

Last edited:

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
This left v right nonsense is only exacerbated by teaming up with Ben Shapiro. I’ve nothing against him but he most definitely represents a right wing demographic. Trouble is, what is she supposed to do. Not work? No one else will hire her.

scrowe

she regularly shared QAnon crap,
This narrative is as much as a conspiracy as the subject you refer to, but each of us can and should have our own opinion on that, based on doing their own research hopefully.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG offers best ever OLED prices - for one week only
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches Bravia XR A80J OLED TVs in Europe
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window