The Mandalorian Season 2 (Disney Plus) TV Show Review & Comments

richp007

Distinguished Member
Oh, that's a shame about Carano.
At least she has Mel Gibson, as a possible source of comfort and employment.
They actually but I guess Disney will simply ghost Carano out.

Are you fudgeing serious. Get that in spoiler tags for Christ sake. You'll completely ruin The Expanse for anyone who hasn't watched it yet, who happens on this completely seperate thread.

Last edited:

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
They actually
but I guess Disney will simply ghost Carano out.

No, shes been outright sacked and that has been publicly stated. Her agents have also dropped her as well.

Last edited:

Jeff254

In this day and age of Cancel Culture, why don't people (Especially Celebs) learn to keep their opinions to themselves and off social media... Should simply stick to general updates i.e Exercise Regimes e.t.c...

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
I see a lot of blame on "Cancel culture" which isn't quite right here, IMO (Ted Cruz supporting this theory for one certainly smells suspicious).

From what I've read (can't remember where, sorry) - she was put on a form of probation for her previous tweets, etc (as mentioned before, because of the disrepute to the company reason etc., which is fair for a company like Disney, given that it was mostly conspiracy theories). Seems they've learned from the James Gunn affair to give people a chance to redeem themselves for past behaviour.

Apparently, she was originally due to be announced as the lead of Rangers when it was recently revealed, but that announcement was on hold due to the probation. She fudgeed up again - so no show for her (and i supppose it's TBC if that gets reworked, or if they wait to introduce a new lead for it in Fett/Mando season 3).

wolfie138

In this day and age of Cancel Culture, why don't people (Especially Celebs) learn to keep their opinions to themselves and off social media... Should simply stick to general updates i.e Exercise Regimes e.t.c...
because of the first amendment maybe.

encaser

Sorry if I spoilered anyone above (it was late) and just made the connection with Carano, as it's also been heavily in the press. My above wording, at least, didn't actually spoil the manner in what happens. I have however amended it further than what Garrett did.
Thanks @Garrett for tagging it. I went to sleep after posting.

Garrett

Are you fudgeing serious. Get that in spoiler tags for Christ sake. You'll completely ruin The Expanse for anyone who hasn't watched it yet, who happens on this completely seperate thread.
I deleted your quoted spoiler as as its not referring what program it comes from and I opened Visionmans quote to see what he was on about and was landed with a series I been working my way though.
Mod Comment
Please if you know somethings a spoiler don't quote it .

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Everyone has the right to an opinion.

However, all opinions are not equally valid and if you post some garbage on your social media pages that reflect badly on your employer and are against clauses in your contract, expect to suffer the consequences of that.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I deleted your quoted spoiler as as its not referring what program it comes from and I opened Visionmans quote to see what he was on about and was landed with a series I been working my way though.
Mod Comment
Please if you know somethings a spoiler don't quote it .

I'm a bit confused. I quoted the post to alert Encaser, and I put the problematic bit myself in spoilers, then referred to The Expanse in my comment to alert to the fact what I'd spoilered was the problem. The rest of his post was fine.

As it was the early hours of the morning, I was worried no mods were about and people would wake up and visit the thread and be confronted with it. And then there'd be pandemonium. I was hoping that Encaser would still be around when I posted to change it before any harm was done.

Garrett

I'm a bit confused. I quoted the post to alert Encaser, and I put the problematic bit myself in spoilers, then referred to The Expanse in my comment to alert to the fact what I'd spoilered was the problem. The rest of his post was fine.

As it was the early hours of the morning, I was worried no mods were about and people would wake up and visit the thread and be confronted with it. And then there'd be pandemonium. I was hoping that Encaser would still be around when I posted to change it before any harm was done.
Looks like some cross spoilering went on. A mod spoilered Encasers spoiler without flagging the spoiler was about an other series which Visionman quoted that edited post which just like your quote and I went and opened.
I went back to the original offence and added the spoiler was about The Expanse. so see the mass of confusion that gone on.
Although you did quote a spoiler and hid it other like me could think the spoiler was about The Mandalorion which some may be already up to speed.

Its like trying to read and explain like this.

outoftheknow

Looks like some cross spoilering went on. A mod spoilered Encasers spoiler without flagging the spoiler was about an other series which Visionman quoted that edited post which just like your quote and I went and opened.
I went back to the original offence and added the spoiler was about The Expanse. so see the mass of confusion that gone on.
Although you did quote a spoiler and hid it other like me could think the spoiler was about The Mandalorion which some may be already up to speed.

Its like trying to read and explain like this.
Apologies all - I was trying to help but I think nearly two bottles of wine clouded my judgement :blush:

Garrett

Apologies all - I was trying to help but I think nearly two bottles of wine clouded my judgement :blush:
Two good rules don't post before just going to bed or within the first few minutes of getting up, which I've done the latter although and talked bout a topic the thread was not about although my miss reading was working over time.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
They
fired Cas Anvar in the Expanse too
, I guess Disney will simply ghost Carano out.
She fudged up, twice on social media.

Once with an anti-mask agenda, the second time with Pro-Trump stolen election garbage.

She got a hard rap on the knuckles for it and lost a plum role going forward but kept her part on The Mandalorian.

Then she decided to compare her "plight" to that of the Jewish people during the Nazi regime.

How else were they ever going to react to that?
In the opinion of the most Jewish man he knows (his words) Ben Shapiro, what she said was not a comparison and not anti-semitic. If he says that then who is going to argue with "him" about that??? He has even offered to pay for her to produce and star in her own movie.

There are also other actors etc reminding Disney that they literally thanked the region which is currently holding Muslims in actual concentration camps. So who is going to cancel them??

Anyway, if she is smart she will keep her head down for a bit or just get off social media all together.
I see a lot of blame on "Cancel culture" which isn't quite right here, IMO (Ted Cruz supporting this theory for one certainly smells suspicious).

From what I've read (can't remember where, sorry) - she was put on a form of probation for her previous tweets, etc (as mentioned before, because of the disrepute to the company reason etc., which is fair for a company like Disney, given that it was mostly conspiracy theories). Seems they've learned from the James Gunn affair to give people a chance to redeem themselves for past behaviour.

Apparently, she was originally due to be announced as the lead of Rangers when it was recently revealed, but that announcement was on hold due to the probation. She fudgeed up again - so no show for her (and i supppose it's TBC if that gets reworked, or if they wait to introduce a new lead for it in Fett/Mando season 3).
Yeah anything Cruz says is usually a lie, self serving or both. I agree that she was effectively on probation, even if not officially so. But the fact that she is being castigated for warning against mobs, virtual or otherwise, by using (a very unwise) example sadly proves her point.

Anti-mask is silly but a typically American viewpoint when one considers how their culture sees freedom. What she actually said about steal the vote was only questioning, but sometimes you have to read the room. Too many people like Cruz were supporting this view so she should have left that one well alone, and no I don't believe they stole the vote lol.

Last edited:

scrowe

In the opinion of the most Jewish man he knows (his words) Ben Shapiro, what she said was not a comparison and not anti-semitic. If he says that then who is going to argue with "him" about that??? He has even offered to pay for her to produce and star in her own movie.

There are also other actors etc reminding Disney that they literally thanked the region which is currently holding Muslims in actual concentration camps. So who is going to cancel them??

Anyway, if she is smart she will keep her head down for a bit or just get off social media all together.

Yeah anything Cruz says is usually a lie, self serving or both. I agree that she was effectively on probation, even if not officially so. But the fact that she is being castigated for warning against mobs, virtual or otherwise, by using (a very unwise) example sadly proves her point.

Anti-mask is silly but a typically American viewpoint when one considers how their culture sees freedom. What she actually said about steal the vote was only questioning, but sometimes you have to read the room. Too many people like Cruz were supporting this view so she should have left that one well alone, and no I don't believe they stole the vote lol.
Apart from she has since said that she was asked by Disney to publish an apology of their wording around the pronouns issue, which she refused and instead opted to make her own statement on her own channel. Disney as a result informed her she would not be asked to participate in the promo for the upcoming (at the time) S2 of The Mandalorian. That is the only communication she had had with Disney or Lucasfilm since. So the narrative, which sounded plausible of repeated warnings/notice appear incorrect. What appears to have happened is that they have simply opted out of engaging her services contractually for further work, and chose to inform her via a secondary statement made to a journalist, which also made it clear why. And her Agents were presumably either leaned on by Disney, or felt continuing to represent would be too controversial, especially following her signing with Ben Shapiro's organisation for future movie work.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Ben Shapiro will also take any position that's seen as anti-left, regardless of how ridiculous it is.

He's an odious asshole of a man who doesn't believe anyone can not vote Republican and be Jewish.

If you're Jewish and vote Democrat you're a JINO (same INO as RINO)

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Ben Shapiro will also take any position that's seen as anti-left, regardless of how ridiculous it is.

He's an odious asshole of a man who doesn't believe anyone can not vote Republican and be Jewish.

If you're Jewish and vote Democrat you're a JINO (same INO as RINO)
Let's just say he is not my favourite person and I usually disagree with him 9/10 times. But you obviously know him well enough to know that his opinions are largely formed from his religious background. I also know exactly what Carano wrote, I understand his explanation of "exactly" what she said and I know that he would be leading the mob if he thought it was anti-semitic, right leaning or not.

Sadly the media (as usual) is just parroting the party line yet very few of them are actually publishing exactly what she said. Was it unwise? Most definitely. But then Pedro Pascal did an actual comparison with camps a few years a go but he seems to be OK. Why is that do you think? Anyway she needs some advisors because she keeps digging holes for herself.

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'd take the position that he supports her because she, like him, has a right-wing agenda.

Unfortunately, she's taken the right-wing and chosen the nonsense part of it rather than reason and splattered it all over social media.
As I said already, what else was Disney going to do?

There's one person to blame, not cancel culture, not SJW's, the reason Gina Carano was fired was Gina Carano.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I'd take the position that he supports her because she, like him, has a right-wing agenda.

Unfortunately, she's taken the right-wing and chosen the nonsense part of it rather than reason and splattered it all over social media.
As I said already, what else was Disney going to do?

There's one person to blame, not cancel culture, not SJW's, the reason Gina Carano was fired was Gina Carano.
First of all the "rumour" is that this was purely KK Lucasfilm and Disney wasn't part of this. But opposing things can sometimes be true.

The media is deliberately obfuscating this story and the Twitter mob has been out for her blood since she said other stupid things. But she did put herself in this position by saying those things and whatever the consequences may be, it is largely her fault.

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
First of all the "rumour" is that this was purely KK Lucasfilm and Disney wasn't part of this. But opposing things can sometimes be true.
That just sounds like the usual anti Kathleen Kennedy nonsense that comes up from time to time.

Carano certainly didn't endear herself to Pascal with the pronoun nonsense, so I'm betting there was a general feeling that enough is enough.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
That just sounds like the usual anti Kathleen Kennedy nonsense that comes up from time to time.

Carano certainly didn't endear herself to Pascal with the pronoun nonsense, so I'm betting there was a general feeling that enough is enough.
We'll have to agree to disagree on KK. Sadly the only nonsense is what she did to lay waste to an entire franchise. A franchise like Star Wars makes a lot of its money in merchandise. Ask the toy makers who lost millions on the new characters which are now just piling up in dollar stores what they think of the new trilogy.

As for Carano, she needs to get off social media asap. In this particular situation Shapiro is useful, but for her future TV and film aspirations in Hollywood not so much. I hope for the best, but fear for the worst.

Last edited:

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
We'll have to agree to disagree on KK. Sadly the only nonsense is what she did to lay waste to an entire franchise. A franchise like Star Wars makes a lot of its money in merchandise. Ask the toy makers who lost millions on the new characters which are now just piling up in dollar stores what they think of the new trilogy.
And then jumpstarted it again by putting Favreau in charge of The Mandalorian and teaming him up with Filoni. So, you know - swings & roundabouts.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
And then jumpstarted it again by putting Favreau in charge of The Mandalorian and teaming him up with Filoni. So, you know - swings & roundabouts.
She's the boss so she gets the credit but everything I've head suggests she has very little to do with the Mandalorian. The fact that her faction didn't know about the Luke Skywalker reveal seems to confirm that view. In fact they were apparently livid that this happened while they were trying to release their New Republic lol. Plus you shouldn't get credit for reanimating the cadaver of a film franchise that you almost killed.

Anyway this is deffo off topic so I'll leave it there.....or maybe not ;)

Last edited:

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Going to give my two cents before the 'off topic' alarm goes:

As always I find myself smack in the middle between two opposing camps. In one corner, there are the "serves her right, fire the bitch, shes racist etc" SJW lobby. In the other, there are the "shes a hero, **** Lucasfilm, cancel Disney plus" anti-SJW brigade.

Should she be fired for her views? No.
Should she be fired for repeatedly expressing those views with impunity and damaging the reputation of her employers? Yes. Absolutely yes.

She was silly and arrogant to put her principles ahead of her career, and it's cost her. But I don't wish her ill will. I hope she moves on to something that suits her better, and learns from her experience.

If learning and forgiveness aren't on the table, then what is 'social justice' actually about?

Is she anti-semitic? No. And if you read carefully, she wasn't directly comparing Republicans to Jews. She was pointing out (clumsily) the dangers of society encouraging hatred towards a problematic group, and where it can lead.

Is she transphobic? No. She made an irreverent riposte to the idea that she should have to use pronouns in her bio. And the 'pronoun' lobby don't necessarily speak for the men and women that actually transition.

Is she racist? God no. Just watch her interactions with Carl Weathers. She adores the man. I'm aware of the folly of the 'black friend' argument, but come on. Racist she is clearly not.

Is she a bonkers anti-masker/ election fraud nut? Yeah, seems like she is. And for that she has my pity. But I suspect a large number of Republicans feel that way. They are naturally pro-freedom and have a hair-trigger sensitivity to the idea of election fraud. Does holding those views mean she should be put in the dustbin of society forever? I don't think so. Maybe she just needs to do a bit more research and who knows, perhaps her thinking will evolve over time.

This is what people mean by 'cancel culture'. Her being fired isn't cancellation. Its the idea that she is poison and should be destroyed, never to be heard from again, when maybe there is a salvageable person there with things to offer. The hatred she has gotten online from the 'tolerant' left (Ive read some of it) has been obscenely vile. They don't stand for it when its directed at someone they like. So it shouldn't stand here. She's physically talented, and a woman of principle. And she comes over nice in interviews. Maybe she shouldn't be written off just yet.

All that said, I sure as hell won't be cancelling my Disney+ subscription.

Back to Star Wars, there are rumblings that the fan divide caused by The Last Jedi (that was just starting to scab over with the Mandalorian finale) has suddenly re-opened wider than ever. As a lifelong star wars fan, I find this really quite depressing. Especially as there is so much to look forward to.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
If learning and forgiveness aren't on the table, then what is 'social justice' actually about?
Sadly it is not about being social or just.

Is she anti-semitic? No. And if you read carefully, she wasn't directly comparing Republicans to Jews. She was pointing out (clumsily) the dangers of society encouraging hatred towards a problematic group, and where it can lead.
Reminds me very much of those white people who are determined to be offended for black people but rarely ask an actual black person if they are offended.

Is she racist? God no. Just watch her interactions with Carl Weathers. She adores the man. I'm aware of the folly of the 'black friend' argument, but come on.
She isn't, or at least I've seen nothing that even hints that she is. But this is a terrible argument mate. Folly is an understatement lol.

This is what people mean by 'cancel culture'. Her being fired isn't cancellation. Its the idea that she is poison and should be destroyed, never to be heard from again, when maybe there is a salvageable person there with things to offer. The hatred she has gotten online from the 'tolerant' left (Ive read some of it) has been obscenely vile. They don't stand for it when its directed at someone they like.
This ^^^

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG offers best ever OLED prices - for one week only
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches Bravia XR A80J OLED TVs in Europe
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window