1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The man who was the inspiration for Arkwright

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by smelly, Apr 19, 2005.

1. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I never realised that Arkwright in Open All Hours was based around an actual person. Its a shame that he's passed away but how fantastic to be such an inspiration and what a character he seemed to be. I loved this programme - one of the best comedy's ever written (and acted).
    (Full Story)

He told BBC Wales in an interview back in 2003 that ''Hopefully, you can make a name for yourself. Dante said 'you only pass this way but once'."

I think he managed to do that.

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi smelly,

It was so interesting to read that Arkwright was based on an actual person. I enjoyed the article and the photograph of Arthur (not unlike Arkwright) and would have loved to have seen his shop. He certainly did make a name for himself. I mourn those sort of shops, a trip to B. & Q never gives the same sort of pleasure. My nephew lives in Cyncoed, Cardiff, it would have been a good opportunity to have visited him and see Arthur's Aladdin's cave too late now I have watched "Open all Hours" countless times on Sky and never tire of it in spite of seeing each episode many times.

Thank you for your post, nice Saturday afternoon relief whilst rugby is on the television!