The main problem

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by lostinspace, Mar 1, 2005.

1. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +769
    I have a very simple problem-hopefully with a very simple answer.
    When some lights are switched on in the house,it shows on the TV as a horizontal bar of broken up picture,only for an instant but it's annoying.The same happens when the wife lights a ring on the gas cooker with the electric ignition.Even walking across the wooden floor causes the same flash.And the wife's hairdryer destroys the Freeview picture completely.
    Would using a surge-protected block help?I can't remember who makes the one I saw in Comet today,but it was £60,has 8 mains sockets and is supposed to smooth out the electricity supply.
    Would it work?

2. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    That'll be the Monster one in comet. I just bought the dear one and can't say I've noticed any difference/improvement in anything.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    If the signal being recieved from your aerial for Freeview is low, it will be susceptable to interference. Is the aerial cable ordinary co-ax or satellite grade (with a foil outer) ? A mains filter might help, but you might need an aerial upgrade.

4. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +769
    It's an ordinary co-ax type so I'll buy a shielded one,but the aeriel's OK according to the meters on the digibox.Thanks for the tip.