Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

The main problem

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by lostinspace, Mar 1, 2005.

1. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    I have a very simple problem-hopefully with a very simple answer.
    When some lights are switched on in the house,it shows on the TV as a horizontal bar of broken up picture,only for an instant but it's annoying.The same happens when the wife lights a ring on the gas cooker with the electric ignition.Even walking across the wooden floor causes the same flash.And the wife's hairdryer destroys the Freeview picture completely.
    Would using a surge-protected block help?I can't remember who makes the one I saw in Comet today,but it was £60,has 8 mains sockets and is supposed to smooth out the electricity supply.
    Would it work?

2. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    That'll be the Monster one in comet. I just bought the dear one and can't say I've noticed any difference/improvement in anything.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If the signal being recieved from your aerial for Freeview is low, it will be susceptable to interference. Is the aerial cable ordinary co-ax or satellite grade (with a foil outer) ? A mains filter might help, but you might need an aerial upgrade.

4. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    It's an ordinary co-ax type so I'll buy a shielded one,but the aeriel's OK according to the meters on the digibox.Thanks for the tip.