The Lounge Mk2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by CrossyX, Feb 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    We bought a house several years a go and renovated the whole thing and now its time to start again... well on the lounge first obviously...

My little lad who is now 4 and we didnt have when we bought the house has pretty much destroyed all my speakers, pushed in tweeters etc so definitely an excuse to upgrade.

All the current equipment is behind us in some shelves I built but that`s being made in to a cupboard and all equipment will be in front to the right in the alcove in a new rack (Looking at a podium slimline from Hi-fi racks as they are modular and you can choose sizes etc.

Old setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Start of the new setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New equipment so far.

Im going for a 5.1.2 setup as the room has got to functional as my wife does not want it as a home cinema so for the time being this is as close as its gets.

Monitor Audio Silver range all in Oak:

Silver 8
    Silver Centre
    Silver FX for Rears
    Silver W12 Sub

Monitor Audio CT265 IDC for Atmos speakers

LG 55E6 OLED

Vogel Next 7346 Wall bracket. (I had to go for this as the wall is going to have split face stone and this has a relatively small fixing plate rather than the usual massive back plate that a lot of wall brackets have which would make the wall look ridiculous if we were to go around that with stone.

Cables are all Audioquest.

FLX Slip 14/4 install cinema cable
    Pearl Hdmi
    Forrest Optical
    Sure Grip Banana Plugs

and some other bits and pieces.

Source material is going to be Xbox One, Sky Q and Ill be buying another NUC that will cover us on the 4K front HDCP2.2 etc as the current one wont handle 4k.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. 00Paul00

00Paul00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Good luck, exciting times ahead! I also have pushed in tweeters thanks to my son but thankfully not in my cinema speakers. [emoji1303]

3. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Thanks...

A bit of a slow burner due to a few issues but getting their slowly. The electrician has done a cracking job, I just need to test all cables before being plastered now so ordered a class t mini amp to check them.

Decided to Bi-wire the fronts so I'm 3m short which I need to order, but floors needs putting down as builders are due in on sat to do some work. Will have to pull the last bit of cable afterwards now...

just all the boring stuff at the minute, stone and paint colours etc...

Attached Files:

4. Harkon321

Harkon321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Looks interesting. Were you not tempted to go for inwalls?

5. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I was but it would have meant keeping the frame work in which I didn't want, plus I wanted the PL in wall 2 if I was going that route and they wouldn't fit either side of the TV which would have meant going to smaller in wall which I wasn't the route I wanted to go.

Just checking the cabling over has been a nightmare tbh as I've doubled up on some cables for the just in case something goes wrong moment.

There is 150mm circumference where the cables come up through the floor which I'm still yet to come with some sort of solution as to how I'm going to tidy/hide these cables as the rack I'm looking at is open back.

6. Thresherinc

Thresherinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    If I've got my maths right, that's a 47.something mm diameter I'd be tempted to use something like Floplast Miniflo Gutter Round Downpipe Socket (Dia)50mm (L)2m, Black | Departments | DIY at B&Q and run it up the back of the rack with suitable exit points for the cables, done right it would be neat and tidy and mostly invisible.

7. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Thanks for the suggestion,

Ive been looking around today and have a few ideas now.

Plastering and some of the stone took place today so starting to take some sort of shape.

[​IMG]

8. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Slowly but gradually getting there...

Stone all fitted now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BlueNote 39

BlueNote 39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Love those tiles , i've been looking at something similar in a zebra polished marble.

looks like a great project.

G

10. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Thanks,

Its turning out Okay just a lot of finicky stuff. I was originally not going to use a sub but it didnt sound quite right without one. The issue I have is placement as i dont really want it down the side of the sofa and there is a huge shortage of room once everything is in.

The Hifi rack I am looking at can be customised so I would have to get the bottom legs the height of the sub and slide the sub under the rack... The downside the rack is around £1k and the sub although front firing is still right next to the joining wall too my neighbours.

11. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Talk about slow going...

Had a few issues first with getting hold of decorator and builder but that`s been sorted. Then had a small flood from Radiator which put things back a little bit...

Not much change overall apart from paint is on the walls etc.

The spark is due in tomorrow for final fix, put in ceiling speakers and rears.

The floors which Im doing myself will be done next weekend.

Then finally can start putting equipment back in to room. Still a bit off as Sofa etc is not here for several weeks..

The sub arrived and Im still yet to order the rack...

[​IMG]

12. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Finally starting to take shape:

Cleaned and sanded back all of the downstairs floors which took a a couple of days.

Fitted the Monitor Audio 265 IDC for Atmos.

Put up the Silver-FX up.

I am going to put up the E6 tonight but the Amp and other speakers etc is going to have to wait until I have my rack which is a few weeks away as I have nowhere to put it all.

I did the best I could with the position of the rear and Atmos speakers as Its a lounge not a dedicated room. The FX speakers are higher than I wanted but I have a door at the back of the lounge, I was going to mount them on the rear wall but I have a active 4 year old who would just end up dragging them off.

With the height and position of the FX speakers I had to use 3 way ceiling speakers so I could position them more forward than I would a traditional ceiling speaker other wise the sound coming from the FX and Atmos would have just sounded awful with then being to close to each other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Finally feels like the end is in sight.

Still haven't got the amp connected as I'm awaiting my rack. There are no furnishings and the sofa is due in a week or 2. But after that it's just calibration...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  14. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,314
    Looks awesome, great job.

Question on speaker placement... looks like there isn't much air between the rear wall and chimney breast to the floorstanders? I've been advised that there should be 30cm or more space all around floorstanders. I have a similar arrangement, so had ruled out floorstanders as I couldn't bring them out.

15. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi and thanks.

I knew I would be tight for space but I`m sure that using the provided bungs will tone down the bass somewhat as I'm using the w12 sub in the setup to make up for that.. I only have around 4" from the wall and you can already see not much room for movement.

I'll have a play with the setup once it's all connected and hopefully I won't have too much trouble with the way it sounds once calibrated. I have already heard the speakers setup in a similar environment with the speakers up close to the wall and they sounded very good but tbh my main concern is the amount of bass there is going to be on the neighbouring wall.

I knew all this going in and when I selected the equipment but it is only a lounge so I was always going to be restricted by placement.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  16. Rick84

Rick84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Greta job, looks very smart.

17. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I finally got the rack and sofa sorted and I had Dr Julian Scott (From on here) to come and calibrate my TV and he did a great job. Just a few bits and pieces left, Harmony Hub, some cable tidying a few photos and its pretty much done.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]