The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition -vs- Theatrical Edition

D

deadfun

Hello everyone I'm new to the boards and was looking for other LOTR fans...like me :) I found an article that released what the theatrical edition and the extended edition will contain. I'll probably purchase both of them for fear i'll miss something about Middle Earth's history, and how things got to the way there were. Anyone else plan on getting both the TE and the EE?

Disc Extras from the Theatrical Edition:
http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_400_hv_presell.html

Disc Extras from the Extended Editon:
There isn't a link so...here ya go :)

DISCS 1-2: THE FEATURE

FEATURE (approx. 214 minutes) -
A new version of the second installment in the epic trilogy! The film includes over 40 minutes of never-before-seen footage incorporated into the film, made especially for this video release:

Widescreen (2.35:1) version of the Special Extended Edition

Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound

DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound

Stereo Surround Sound

Four audio commentaries by director and writers, the design team the production team and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom and Academy Award® winners Richard Taylor, Howard Shore, Randy Cook…and many more

DISCS 3-4: THE APPENDICES

Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers:

DISC 3
Adapting the book into a screenplay & planning the film

Designing and inspiration for locations in Middle-earth

Storyboards to pre-visualization

Weta Workshop visit - See sculptors in action as they create the weapons, armor, creatures and miniatures from the film

Atlas of Middle-earth: Tracing the journey of the Fellowship

An interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process

Galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists

And much more!

DISC 4
Sending actors to battle - preparation for sword fighting

Principal photography: Stories from the set

Digital effects including motion capture and "Massive" (a program to create armies of Orcs)

"Bigatures" - A close-up look at the detailed miniatures used in the film

Galleries of behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos

Post-production - editing it all together

Sound design demonstration

And much more!

DVD-ROM CONTENT: Includes access to exclusive online features

Good to see the extra special edition shaping to be as solid as FOTR. However, I didn't enjoy TTT any where near as much as its prequel. It was still a fantastic film of course, and I don't think any blame can be laid at Mr Jackson's feet - it was simply that the first book lent itself to celluloid transition far better than the second.

Having said that, one of the main problems I had with TTT, was the pacing - after reading about the restored segments, I am hopeful that this edition will restore my faith a little for the final part.

It'll be a shame when all LOTR parts are finally released in their final special editions (if there is such a thing these days) - the films theatrical and subsequent DVD releasesare becoming an annual event for Movie freaks (such as myself).

I wish there was a 2 DVD extended version. I feel like discs 3 and 4 are going to be a waste given we have probably seen most of it already on FOTR.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom