The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit Trilogies 4K UHD

That Spanish one is cheap, don’t you get import tax and costs on top though?
Nope the price you see is the price you pay.

G'day
I bought the Hobbit 4k trilogy a couple of weeks ago.
Whilst the picture and Atmos sound is great...
We watched the first extended version of An Unexpected Journey and all good till 2/3 through it froze.Eventually got it to play by fast fwd /reverse back but this shouldn't happen!! I returned it next day for a replacement set. We just watched the extended version of The Desolation of Smaug and 2/3 through it didn't freeze but just skipped several chapters.As it didn't freeze I rewound back and played perfectly...What the hell is going on here?
I assume the final instalment will be the same?
My wife just gives me that look that says why the hell did you spend the money upgrading ( ? ) to 4k....
Cheers
Ps I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere that it's only the extended versions?
Anyone else experience this issue?
Oh and I ALWAYS clean the 4k disc with microfibre cloth before playing so it wasn't that.

G'day
We watched the first extended version of An Unexpected Journey and all good till 2/3 through it froze.Eventually got it to play by fast fwd /reverse back but this shouldn't happen!! I returned it next day for a replacement set. We just watched the extended version of The Desolation of Smaug and 2/3 through it didn't freeze but just skipped several chapters.As it didn't freeze I rewound back and played perfectly...What the hell is going on here?
My wife just gives me that look that says why the hell did you spend the money upgrading ( ? ) to 4k....
Cheers
Oh and I ALWAYS clean the 4k disc with microfibre cloth before playing so it wasn't that.
I don't tend to touch the discs at all unless there is a possible issue with, certainly wouldn't clean every time watch one.
I have not got Hobbit 4k, but not had any issues with Lotr 4k on first 2.

G'day
Cheers
Could be the player on the layer change on BD100 triple layer discs. Not a Sony by any chance?

Didn't have any issues with my UK box sets of The Hobbit or LOTR on my Pioneer LX500 player.

G'day
Cheers

Sorry to hear that - I've had a couple of issues like this myself lately but its definitely not my players. I watched the whole lot in extended form earlier this year with no problems at all.

Sorry to hear that - I've had a couple of issues like this myself lately but its definitely not my players. I watched the whole lot in extended form earlier this year with no problems at all.
G'day
I know 4 k disc's can have the odd issue and some of mine do,but they are pretty minor.
This was the worst I've encountered to date though.
The second set is better and if the last installment only skips a few chapters without freezing then it's fairly easy to re-wind back to where the issue started, so reckon I can live with that.
Cheers
Ps oh I only clean the the disc's before first play and am very careful in handling them so doubt this is the issue.Sounds like it may be the layer change...?
It seems to happen about 2 thirds of the way through each disc!

G'day
I know 4 k disc's can have the odd issue and some of mine do,but they are pretty minor.
This was the worst I've encountered to date though.
The second set is better and if the last installment only skips a few chapters without freezing then it's fairly easy to re-wind back to where the issue started, so reckon I can live with that.
Cheers
Ps oh I only clean the the disc's before first play and am very careful in handling them so doubt this is the issue.Sounds like it may be the layer change...?
It seems to happen about 2 thirds of the way through each disc!
Maybe return the set? Sounds faulty.

Hi Guzzi, I still think it's the layer change on BD100's. Are the glitches on your other discs triple layers too? You can tell if they are by looking closely at the rings on the playing side near the hole. If there are three its triple layer if only two it's a double. My Panasonic plays them all with no problem but my Sony doesn't like triple layer discs and freezes or stutters on the change to the third layer which is roughly 2/3 of the way through. Unfortunately it's quite common.

Hi Guzzi, I still think it's the layer change on BD100's. Are the glitches on your other discs triple layers too? You can tell if they are by looking closely at the rings on the playing side near the hole. If there are three its triple layer if only two it's a double. My Panasonic plays them all with no problem but my Sony doesn't like triple layer discs and freezes or stutters on the change to the third layer which is roughly 2/3 of the way through. Unfortunately it's quite common.
G'day mate
Yep the more I look into this the more I think you're right re layer change/glitch.
The Hobbit trilogy would have to be triple layer as 2 x are just over 3 x hours in length!
Also appears that LG players are a bit more sensitive to this as well...
Oh well ,if it just skips a wee bit but doesn't freeze then I can live with rewinding back to that point eh.
Thanks for that info about 2 or 3 layers I'll check them later on.
Cheers

G'day Blupetros.
I did check this after your advice mate,and think this is probably the issue.
Funny thing is not all 3 x layer disc's seem to have the problem.
Fury had a stutter and Robin Hood same yet Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down no problems. I must admit the actual freeze on first set of The Hobbit was the worst I've seen so far and kinda freaked me a bit but now I know whats going on I can look out for it and work around it if ( (probably when ) I see it again!
Sounds like the only real cure is a better 4k player ( Panasonic seems to be a frontrunner ) but I doubt the minister of finance will approve this! In fact bloody sure she'll veto the bill...
Thanks again mate.

G'day Blupetros.
I did check this after your advice mate,and think this is probably the issue.
Funny thing is not all 3 x layer disc's seem to have the problem.
Fury had a stutter and Robin Hood same yet Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down no problems. I must admit the actual freeze on first set of The Hobbit was the worst I've seen so far and kinda freaked me a bit but now I know whats going on I can look out for it and work around it if ( (probably when ) I see it again!
Sounds like the only real cure is a better 4k player ( Panasonic seems to be a frontrunner ) but I doubt the minister of finance will approve this! In fact bloody sure she'll veto the bill...
Thanks again mate.
WooHoo
We had a price drop on the Panasonic UB820 locally this morning...
$200 off ( now $450 ) so I got the go ahead from the Minister of Finance and bolted in after work and got one before she changed her mind and they run out of them !
Hopefully that's the end of freezing and stuttering movies...
Thanks for your help folk's, really appreciate it.
Cheers

Spanish version of The Hobbit Trilogy £36.66 delivered to the UK.
Thanks, ordered earlier, think its says Monday coming for delivery! Bargain for £36.
Got Lotr steel 4k, nearly watched all and for me its been a brilliant upgrade from Dvds.

Hi, im slightly confused by the different HD versions, so ill ask the question - i dont have any of the films yet, so im starting from a blank canvas so to speak. If i want the best possible visual and audio version of the films (so, 4k), and am not bothered about extras, which set should i buy please?

Hi, im slightly confused by the different HD versions, so ill ask the question - i dont have any of the films yet, so im starting from a blank canvas so to speak. If i want the best possible visual and audio version of the films (so, 4k), and am not bothered about extras, which set should i buy please?
Just buy the standard 4K trilogy box sets or the Middle Earth 4K set, whichever works out cheaper overall for you. You will get zero extras on the trilogy sets and just one new feature on the Middle Earth set.

I would go for the 4k extended sets as above for Hobbit 3 films, Im not sure can get non extended editions in 4k. or if comes with both or not.
I am still waiting on my hobbit set from above link from Spain eeeek!

I would go for the 4k extended sets as above for Hobbit 3 films, Im not sure can get non extended editions in 4k. or if comes with both or not.
I am still waiting on my hobbit set from above link from Spain eeeek!
You get both versions of the film in the 4K releases. I watched the extended editions over Christmas and despite the moans about PQ everywhere I thought it looked bloody phenomenal still given its age, only a few jarring scenes with DNR. The colour grade is wonderful.

As Clock'd one said above, I watched most of the 4k extended now and for me it been epic, compared to dvds last watched on OLED it all looks much better. Lots of talk/issues with pq and sound. For me the sound was just as good as previous and when I can have it loud to really good!
Got to be a set will watch again and again.

Finally got around to watching The Hobbitses this weekend on UHD.

Visually fantastic. Many highlights but the scene where Bilbo peaks his head above the Spidery Forest (Pt 2) looks incredible with the Colours of the Autumn leaves and a glorious sunset.

After multiple viewings of these movies I can easily rank these in order now with Pt 2 the easy top the bunch and Pt 3 easily at the bottom.

Great value set at circa £43 (zavvi a few weeks back) as I can watch this set (esp Pt 1-2) easily twice a year.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom