The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit Trilogies 4K UHD

UMAR 3:16

Reaction score
TLOTR_TH_promo_WB.jpg

This three-film collection includes: The Lord of the Rings Theatrical and Extended Edition Trilogy on stunning 4K Ultra HD: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King Across 9 Discs. A premium slipcase showcasing unique artwork

Return to the stunning locations and epic adventures in Peter Jackson’s Middle-earth™ saga THE HOBBIT™ and THE LORD OF THE RINGS™. Now more stunning than ever before, the films have been beautifully remastered in 4K UHD, under the supervision of Director Peter Jackson and restored by Park Road Post.
UK release date: 30th November 2020

Launching from Midnight Tonight (09/10)

WB shop links:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy [Theatrical and Extended Edition] [4K Ultra HD] [2001]

The Hobbit Trilogy [Theatrical and Extended Edition] [4K Ultra HD] [2012]

Last edited:
Last news i knew was that Peter Jackson wanted to release a new 4k/Blu ray Ultimate Edition box set with even more footage and extra features but Warner Bros were not interested.I still live in hope that we see it one day.

Like the blu-ray I surmise the release of LOTR 4k will be the theatrical edition. Give Or take a year Or two years later the Extended/Ultimate edition.

I'm waiting on this myself.

Not a whisper bud. Honestly looking around and hoping for stuff like this is fruitless. If its happening you'll hear about it. WB love a good tie in, possibly when the amazon series is finally ready, who knows.

Damn you...

I thought this was going to be news of a release :laugh:

This is the top of my 4K wantsa list - by some distance.

Damn you...

I thought this was going to be news of a release :laugh:

This is the top of my 4K wantsa list - by some distance.
The question should have given that away!!!

Probably the only movies I would buy again in 4K. I don’t buy often now just rent them, but I’m not rushing to replace my Blu-rays with 4K..... with the expection of this trilogy. Just hope they do a job with with the HDR as that will be key!

Probably the only movies I would buy again in 4K. I don’t buy often now just rent them, but I’m not rushing to replace my Blu-rays with 4K..... with the expection of this trilogy. Just hope they do a job with with the HDR as that will be key!

It has the potential to be a great release - when it happens.

I usually watch the Trilogy around Christmas but skipped this year in the hope we get news of a 4K release.

It has the potential to be a great release - when it happens.

I usually watch the Trilogy around Christmas but skipped this year in the hope we get news of a 4K release.
Me too! Haha

I would love the Extended Cut of these films on 4k/HDR. My worry is that they're produced in the same era as the Star Wars prequels and we know the SFX at the time were very limited in the degree they could upscale. These films heavily rely on the SFX.

Some of the Jurassic Park 4k discs could give a flavour of what it might look like to have crisp 4k as part of a shot alongside blurry creature effects.

HDr could be a winner though in a lot of the darker scenes.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I'd say you'd be looking more at the fab work WB did with the early HP films on 4K vs 1080p as a guide for sfx - saying that LOTR trilogy extended blu's are FAR superior PQ wise to those already..

If they do I hope they get the sound right this time. The BD versions were heavily filtered in the BD versions and the colour timing of the Fellowship BD makes it unwatchable for me.

The films were finished using a 2K DI so they would have to be upscaled to 4K unfortunately. I remember PJ saying they were considering 70MM when they were planning the films but the resolution was too daunting. Shame.

The films were finished using a 2K DI so they would have to be upscaled to 4K unfortunately. I remember PJ saying they were considering 70MM when they were planning the films but the resolution was too daunting. Shame.
There are 2k DI films that look better than some 4k DI films and of course vice-versa. If it's done right then it really doesn't matter.

2021 will be 20th Anniversary of Fellowship of the Ring, so reckon we'll get a UHD release then. I'm also hoping they'll re-release them on the cinema in the extended versions.

Lord of the rings extended marathon please.

i just want this with Atmos/ DTS-X...il take either im not fussy!

The extended editions are obviously better but I find that I just don't have 4 hours to watch a single film. So I have only watched them once. I would prefer the theatrical edition of the first and third. The second probably needs the extended edition to make sense.

Extended all the way... just can’t watch the theatrical cut anymore...

Having watched the extended trilogy twice now on blu ray, in one sitting, I said I wouldn't do it again..I guess I lied to myself and others.

I have the trilogy o DVD, have it on blu ray of course I would buy in 4k!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom