The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit Trilogies 4K UHD

FevreDream

Here you go. Google translated

As our source reports, the distribution plans for the 4K restorations of "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" feature films will be further expanded. The 4K Blu-rays are to be marketed as Middle-Earth 6-Film Collection and in two film trilogies.

Update I: As Warner Bros. announced, there is no confirmed information from Warner Bros. about the release of a 4K collection for the films mentioned. However, this statement does not mean that the 4K Blu-ray presented here does not appear in this or a modified form.

Original post: We start with the sad news. It looks like the 4K remasters from the Middle Earth universe will be postponed from summer to the end of October 2020. The films would thus be released in the period with the highest turnover, which ultimately makes sense. Who wants to lock themselves up in the summer at 30 degrees for several hours to relive the “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” films? Hopefully the extra time will be put into the restoration. A long time ago we received information about the individual films on 4K Blu-ray in the Extended Cut. Warner's marketing now seems to have given another thought to marketing the mega franchise. The films may appear “only” in two trilogies and in a middle-earth 6-film collection.

The complete edition would be quite powerful as a 30 disc version. In addition to the extended cut and theatrical version, the Mittelerde 6-Film-Collection should also contain a bonus disc (DVD). From the disc configurations, we can see that the restored 4K frames will map to 100GB discs. The films will surely have to be split across multiple discs. The additional space (often 4K films are published on 66GB discs) should give the restorers enough scope for high-quality remastering including 3D audio tracks. However, the confirmations of the final configurations are still pending.

As soon as Warner Home Entertainment officially announces the 4K Blu-rays, we will of course report about it and add the films to our complete list.

Planned 4K Blu-rays from Warner:

Middle-earth 6-film collection (2001-2014)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001-2003)
The Hobbit (2012-2014)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship (2001)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug (2013)
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

Know way of knowing back then but as it turned out a lot of people are now confined to their houses and actually would have had the time and the inclination to watch these over the Summer! 😉

rulocal

Distinguished Member
That was a really good watch :thumbsup:

Yep, I enjoyed it too. Lovely to see the mutual respect and genuine excitement as other members of the cast (particularly Sir Ian and Liv Tyler) were added to the call.

FevreDream

Don't think I'll buy these again on UHD. They're too long and I've just seen them too many times already, and I've never been that keen on The Hobbit films. I've got the extended LOTR trilogy on Blu Ray, that will do me. Maybe in a few years time if they pop up discounted in a sale I might be tempted.

Last edited:

MaxxDAV

Don't think I'll buy these again on UHD. They're too long and I've just seen them too many times already, and I've never been that keen on The Hobbit films. I've got the extended LOTR trilogy on Blu Ray, that will do me. Maybe in a few years time if they pop up discounted in a sale I might be tempted.

Too long?! I’d welcome another 12 hours :D

UMAR 3:16

featherhall

Distinguished Member

rulocal

Distinguished Member
This was excellent! Feel watching it all again. Best trilogy ever made!
Indeed it was a great watch. I was very tempted to follow it up with the trilogy but going to try my hardest to not watch again until the 4Ks. If there is no news by the end of the year, I will do my usual festive rewatch.

Indeed it was a great watch. I was very tempted to follow it up with the trilogy but going to try my hardest to not watch again until the 4Ks. If there is no news by the end of the year, I will do my usual festive rewatch.
I have no choice. I sold mine in anticipation for the 4K

rulocal

Distinguished Member

That’s a good point. So did I. :laugh:

edit

They are all on Amazon Prime :D
A sin to stream these. The eyes can only take the special editions?

rulocal

Distinguished Member

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Apologies that this contains no news on the 4k release, but while we are all waiting

One Zoom To Rule Them All - LOTR Reunion

That was really great. :thumbsup: Obvious that all the cast/crew have very fond memories of way back when it was made.

I thought they'd settle at around 7 but then more and more arrived.:D

Liv Tyler hardly looks like she'd aged:eek:

Watched the trilogy back to back on Prime not long back so i'm done now until the 4K (well 2K upscales) arrive. Fellowship is an all time great - I could probably watch that every month.

rulocal

Distinguished Member
That was really great. :thumbsup: Obvious that all the cast/crew have very fond memories of way back when it was made.

I thought they'd settle at around 7 but then more and more arrived.:D

Liv Tyler hardly looks like she'd aged:eek:

Watched the trilogy back to back on Prime not long back so i'm done now until the 4K (well 2K upscales) arrive. Fellowship is an all time great - I could probably watch that every month.

it was nicely done and they clearly have a great affection for each other v

Live Tyler still looks great but she is only less than a year older in Elvish years :D

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
I’m hope for super duper versions with each film being 4hrs long..!
Forget the Synder cut, give #ThePeterJacksonCut..:rotfl:

Anymore info on this? It’s gone quite. I thought ETA was October!

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Anymore info on this? It’s gone quite. I thought ETA was October!

Hoping it gets announced sharpish otherwise I’m buying the Game of Thrones set. (Can’t justify both to the Mrs)

Another year?! 😳

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $70 billion
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio joins BluOS Audio Ecosystem
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published