The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit Trilogies 4K UHD

UMAR 3:16

Agree with the above, no way would I want this on 4 disc so the pic and sound get compressed. I say spread it over 3 discs per movie and release the best 4K audio/visual treat that this trilogy deserves but not the one it needs! O wait that’s batman 😂

mooperman

Distinguished Member
Has something been confirmed?

Jackson always said that the 25 year anniversary would be a big release. Said he'd even consider changing things like Gollum in the first one to be consistent.

Gollum is only in 1 small scene isnt he in the first one (climbing the steps in Moria i believe before the cave troll incident)? Whats to change?

SyStemDeMoN

Gollum is only in 1 small scene isnt he in the first one (climbing the steps in Moria i believe before the cave troll incident)? Whats to change?
I think theres a close up with his face and eyes. I think its slightly different to the other films because the way they did the motion capture or something.

Anymore info on this?

Just finished our annual run of this. Extended version of course. Still stands the time and just as impactful. The extended height mode made really good use of atmos. The nazgul flying overhead was pretty amazing. Cannot wait for the UHD with cleaned up fellowship and full fat atmos!

Last edited:

dragontycoon

He wants to add some more rocks, a dance scene, and as they enter the mines, Gollum will shout "NOOOOOOOOOO".

Directors, they either die a hero or live long enough to become a villain.

EricTheKing

Just finished our annual run of this. Extended version of course. Still stands the test of time and just as impactful.

Like its literary source, the LotR trilogy is heroic, inspiring and earnest in a wholly un-ironic way. There's nothing sincere about snarky, deconstructive millennial film. It takes an unambiguous view of the eternal struggle between good & evil. This is anathema to contemporary morals (or lack thereof) and its unpretentious nature is scorned by critics who endeavour to elevate obscenity to the status of art.

Peter Jackson's trilogy is a triumph and we will never see anything like it again.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
I do wonder how some of the effects shots will hold up under 4k scrutiny...

I'd sort of vowed not to watch these again but with 4K and the chance to show them to my daughter where JK Rowling got most of her ideas from I can't really miss these.

dragontycoon

Will the resolution increase make that much of a difference?

In 'The Karate Kid', I saw the fly on the string on the bluray and saw the fly on the string in 4k.

Jaxkesa

Just finished our annual run of this. Extended version of course. Still stands the time and just as impactful. The extended height mode made really good use of atmos. The nazgul flying overhead was pretty amazing. Cannot wait for the UHD with cleaned up fellowship and full fat atmos!

Same here. The Nazguls sounded great with DTS Neural X so really hoping for a nice audio upgrade.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I do wonder how some of the effects shots will hold up under 4k scrutiny...

Terrible, i’d imagine. Hell a lot of it looks ropey on DVD/BR.

Still, great movies though (esp Fellowship) so no matter.

Rumoured release date being 25th June 2020! 💪🏼

cesarleeds

German site that broke the news says October.

I'm beginning to think this will happen in 2021, Fellowship's 20th anniversary, right before the launch of Amazon TV show in 2022.

I’ve just sold my box set! Hope it comes this year. What does the German website say? Other than 4K I cant read the rest! 😂

featherhall

Distinguished Member
I’ve just sold my box set! Hope it comes this year. What does the German website say? Other than 4K I cant read the rest! 😂
Here you go. Google translated

As our source reports, the distribution plans for the 4K restorations of "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" feature films will be further expanded. The 4K Blu-rays are to be marketed as Middle-Earth 6-Film Collection and in two film trilogies.

Update I: As Warner Bros. announced, there is no confirmed information from Warner Bros. about the release of a 4K collection for the films mentioned. However, this statement does not mean that the 4K Blu-ray presented here does not appear in this or a modified form.

Original post: We start with the sad news. It looks like the 4K remasters from the Middle Earth universe will be postponed from summer to the end of October 2020. The films would thus be released in the period with the highest turnover, which ultimately makes sense. Who wants to lock themselves up in the summer at 30 degrees for several hours to relive the “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” films? Hopefully the extra time will be put into the restoration. A long time ago we received information about the individual films on 4K Blu-ray in the Extended Cut. Warner's marketing now seems to have given another thought to marketing the mega franchise. The films may appear “only” in two trilogies and in a middle-earth 6-film collection.

The complete edition would be quite powerful as a 30 disc version. In addition to the extended cut and theatrical version, the Mittelerde 6-Film-Collection should also contain a bonus disc (DVD). From the disc configurations, we can see that the restored 4K frames will map to 100GB discs. The films will surely have to be split across multiple discs. The additional space (often 4K films are published on 66GB discs) should give the restorers enough scope for high-quality remastering including 3D audio tracks. However, the confirmations of the final configurations are still pending.

As soon as Warner Home Entertainment officially announces the 4K Blu-rays, we will of course report about it and add the films to our complete list.

Planned 4K Blu-rays from Warner:

Middle-earth 6-film collection (2001-2014)
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001-2003)
The Hobbit (2012-2014)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship (2001)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug (2013)
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

cesarleeds

I won't sell any of my boxsets until I have the 4k ones safe at home.😅

It says it might happen after summer in the form of trilogy boxsets and individual releases.

I won't sell any of my boxsets until I have the 4k ones safe at home.😅

It says it might happen after summer in the form of trilogy boxsets and individual releases.
I wanted to get maximum value for them. I know for sure the price will slump they the 4k box sets are out

domtheone

Distinguished Member
30 Discs. Good lord.

6 (or 12) 100GB discs for the 6 movies in a bare bones set will do me. Not enough time in life to go through a hundred hours of extras:D

Doctor Hades

I just want the theatrical and extended versions of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit in two trilogy boxsets without the bonus discs (especially if they're still on DVD).

Nothing like having the disc in all its glory to show off you’re av gear

Anymore info on this?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options