The Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit Trilogies 4K UHD

I've stumbled across this whilst trying to find a Lord of the Rings box set for my son for his birthday. He read the book when he was at school and has seen the original movies. Typical trying to find something for someones birthday.

I was thinking of getting him the trilogy box set in ultra HD like this one from Amazon
Is there anything else to consider, or should I just concentrate on the cinematic experience? Forgive for not reading the other 62 pages.
Well worth getting them all on 4K disc

The iTunes digital download Middle Earth Extended 6 film set does appear for £22 now and again.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've stumbled across this whilst trying to find a Lord of the Rings box set for my son for his birthday. He read the book when he was at school and has seen the original movies. Typical trying to find something for someones birthday.

I was thinking of getting him the trilogy box set in ultra HD like this one from Amazon
Is there anything else to consider, or should I just concentrate on the cinematic experience? Forgive for not reading the other 62 pages.
If your Son has a good sound system, go for the 4K on disc. The sound is excellent in TrueHD.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for the heads up. I've ordered it. Harry Potter 4k UHD boxset is down to £75 from £95. Might pick that one up as well.
I would look around for the Harry Potter boxset on places like Amazon.it - they regularly go for sub £40 on there, even approaching £30 at times.

Dropped to £45 in Amazon's Black Friday sale.

My apologies, someone already posted this.

Well worth getting them all on 4K disc

The iTunes digital download Middle Earth Extended 6 film set does appear for £22 now and again.

The boxset of 4K extended 6 film LoTR & Hobbit trilogies are currently £24.99 on iTunes, I've just bought them. Have them on 4K disc already but thought it would be nice to have them on digital too.

Last edited:
The boxset of 4K extended 6 film LoTR & Hobbit trilogies are currently £24.99 on iTunes, I've just bought them. Have them on 4K disc already but thought it would be nice to have them on digital too.
For anyone wanting to buy and the LoTR and the Hobbit movies, be careful to get the extended version and not the theatrical versions.

Watched the EE editions of all 3 movies yesterday/this am. Mixed feelings re the transfers. Sometimes it looks fantastic (mostly non fx stuff) and other times, well, looks like a Blu Ray.

Most of the special effects still look pretty good (considering its 20 years old). Save for the odd longer shot that still (and always has) looked fake.

Great films. 1st one is still my fave. Immense.

Overall, one of THE great trilogies of movies. Had a bit of a lump with the final scenes :blush:

New thoughts. Was never totally in love with Elijah Woods Frodo’s performance.

Might just be the character that I found annoying (same with Deep Impact).

Martin Freeman was immense as Bilbo in The Hobbitsies movies.

Next time I might try and watch all 6 movies in 1 day. If thats even possible :D

Great bargain at circa £34/$44 for the set.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom