1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Lord of The Rings DVD - mini review.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by zcaps57, Jul 26, 2002.

1. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was lucky enough to get my hands on this title early. (Widescreen version.)
    I watched it last night, and I was very impressed with quality of transfer.

Picture quality's outstanding, IMHO.
    I noticed minor EE in very few scenes, apart from this, I'd say this title's almost EE free.
    Well saturated/vibrant colours, lots of shadow details and overall very detailed picture.

Also, DD EX soundtrack's fantastic. Very dynamic, powerful, defined/clear dialogue with lots of active surround channels. And it'll give your sub a bit of work.
    But a lack of DTS soundtrack is disappointing. :(

I think a lot of people will be pleased with the transfer.
    To me this title's transfer is one of the reference quality along with The Pledge, The 5th Element, Starship Troopers, Moulin Rouge, Fast and The Furious...etc.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    HI,

Is this the Region 1 or 2 version, you are talking about? Also, what does EE mean?

Pooch

3. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

It's region1.
    I always try to avoid region2. :D

And EE = Edge Enhancement.

4. wurzel

wurzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the film any good.

5. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Got mine yesterday from Movietyme and can't wait to watch it again tommorow night after seeing atthe cinema......

6. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why avoid Region 2?:confused:

7. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cuz it's PAL.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I.M.H.O.

Pal discs produce a better picture than their ntsc(Never the same colour)counterparts.

Evidenced by the fact that I have sold/traded all my R1 discs.

Doug

9. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,553
    Hey doug - your humble opinion is a sweeping statement which is mostly wrong.
    PAL may look better on your system and what components you (people) have may well affect the picture quality in such a way.
    But if you use a system which presents both formats using exactly the same method - e.g. Home Cinema PC (or high end scaler) into CRT projector then you will find that there is generally very little difference between PAL and NTSC and quality differences come down much more to how the discs have been authored rather than the format. The difference in the number of lines is not really an issue.
    And the fact that you have sold your R1 DVDs is not evidence that PAL is better, it's just evidence that you sold your R1 DVDS.

Having seen hundreds of DVDs from both regions through my Barco 1209 onto an 8 foot wide picture I have the opportunity to experience/review DVDs and pick up on problems which you wouldn't see - or wouldn't bother you - on a 32 or 36 inch widescreen TV. But nevertheless are there.

Edge enhancement is by far the most common and annoying problem with DVDs at the moment and we the DVD watching community should get together and petition the studios to stop its use. Phantom Menace got great picture reviews from lots of magazines and IMO those reviews are invalid. The edge enhancement on Phantom Menace is apalling. If a DVD reviewer never mentions edge enhancement in any of their DVD reviews then don't read their reviews. The reviewer isn't competant enough to review the picture quality of the DVD.
    I do a 'still of the week feature' on Total DVD and Home Cinema Choice. There are plenty of examples of Edge Enhancement to see there in the stills I produce.

Back to PAL vs. NTSC, I prefer region 1 because PAL DVDS have the 4% speedup which presents the movie other than as the director intended.

10. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. :)
    Ok, Doug.
    Tell me, in what ways do your PAL titles produce better picture than NTSC ?

Spectre, I agree. :)
    Star Wars : TPM was one of the worst transfer ever! :(
    Yes, EE hell !! :mad:

I notice the difference on a lot of movies in regards to the 4% speed up. Mainly with slower tempo scores. Jaws, Moulin Rouge, CTHD, Fight Club, The Thing... etc.
    Most movies in fact when I watch them R2 I hear the higher audio pitch due to the speed up.

11. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    If anyone can pick up on a 4% speed difference between PAL and NTSC then I for one am MIGHTILY impressed.

Si

12. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's very noticeable. :)
    I've seen a lot of people who notice the difference, and yes it is not that hard to notice the higher pitch/tempo in the music/soundtrack.

Try listening to the beginning of the PAL version of Fight Club and then the NTSC version. There's a HUGE difference.

Recently, one of my mate brought R2 of CTHD with him, and we had a chance to compare PQ/SQ with my Superbit CTHD.
    We could also notice the higher pitch from the fight scene - sounds from their swords.
    And the tempo of drum from its soundtrack had obvious faster tempo.
    Do I need to say about the difference in picture quality ? ;)

13. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please do

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesnt The Two Towers look absolutely amazing. It was so cool that the promo was in 5.1.

15. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the R2 DVD of SW:TPM has only vertical edge enhancement applied. The R1 has both horizontal and vertical making it even worse. This makes the purchasing decision quite hard... the R1 has even worse EE but not the 4% speedup.

Personally I went with the R2.

Jenz.