Quantcast

The Lord Of The Rings 4K UHD

UMAR 3:16

Distinguished Member
hi all,

Any idea if the extended edition will be coming to 4K HDR. I’ve tried to have a look around but can not read a proper answer to this anywhere.

U

zamwessell

Last news i knew was that Peter Jackson wanted to release a new 4k/Blu ray Ultimate Edition box set with even more footage and extra features but Warner Bros were not interested.I still live in hope that we see it one day.

Swizz

Like the blu-ray I surmise the release of LOTR 4k will be the theatrical edition. Give Or take a year Or two years later the Extended/Ultimate edition.

I'm waiting on this myself.

samdavies

Distinguished Member
Not a whisper bud. Honestly looking around and hoping for stuff like this is fruitless. If its happening you'll hear about it. WB love a good tie in, possibly when the amazon series is finally ready, who knows.

rulocal

Damn you...

I thought this was going to be news of a release :laugh:

This is the top of my 4K wantsa list - by some distance.

Distinguished Member
Damn you...

I thought this was going to be news of a release :laugh:

This is the top of my 4K wantsa list - by some distance.
The question should have given that away!!!

Distinguished Member
Probably the only movies I would buy again in 4K. I don’t buy often now just rent them, but I’m not rushing to replace my Blu-rays with 4K..... with the expection of this trilogy. Just hope they do a job with with the HDR as that will be key!

rulocal

Probably the only movies I would buy again in 4K. I don’t buy often now just rent them, but I’m not rushing to replace my Blu-rays with 4K..... with the expection of this trilogy. Just hope they do a job with with the HDR as that will be key!
It has the potential to be a great release - when it happens.

I usually watch the Trilogy around Christmas but skipped this year in the hope we get news of a 4K release.

Distinguished Member
It has the potential to be a great release - when it happens.

I usually watch the Trilogy around Christmas but skipped this year in the hope we get news of a 4K release.
Me too! Haha

RedZep

I would love the Extended Cut of these films on 4k/HDR. My worry is that they're produced in the same era as the Star Wars prequels and we know the SFX at the time were very limited in the degree they could upscale. These films heavily rely on the SFX.

Some of the Jurassic Park 4k discs could give a flavour of what it might look like to have crisp 4k as part of a shot alongside blurry creature effects.

HDr could be a winner though in a lot of the darker scenes.

samdavies

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't worry about that too much. I'd say you'd be looking more at the fab work WB did with the early HP films on 4K vs 1080p as a guide for sfx - saying that LOTR trilogy extended blu's are FAR superior PQ wise to those already..

Goose74

Novice Member
The films were finished using a 2K DI so they would have to be upscaled to 4K unfortunately. I remember PJ saying they were considering 70MM when they were planning the films but the resolution was too daunting. Shame.

Coulson

The films were finished using a 2K DI so they would have to be upscaled to 4K unfortunately. I remember PJ saying they were considering 70MM when they were planning the films but the resolution was too daunting. Shame.
There are 2k DI films that look better than some 4k DI films and of course vice-versa. If it's done right then it really doesn't matter.

Buckster666

2021 will be 20th Anniversary of Fellowship of the Ring, so reckon we'll get a UHD release then. I'm also hoping they'll re-release them on the cinema in the extended versions.

Leo31291

Distinguished Member
Lord of the rings extended marathon please.

Simba

Distinguished Member
i just want this with Atmos/ DTS-X...il take either im not fussy!

Coulson

The extended editions are obviously better but I find that I just don't have 4 hours to watch a single film. So I have only watched them once. I would prefer the theatrical edition of the first and third. The second probably needs the extended edition to make sense.

Distinguished Member
Extended all the way... just can’t watch the theatrical cut anymore...

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Having watched the extended trilogy twice now on blu ray, in one sitting, I said I wouldn't do it again..I guess I lied to myself and others.